BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals (http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boys Basketball (http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   All "A" Classic Moving Back To Richmond (http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223881)

Westside 08-12-2017 07:52 PM

All "A" Classic Moving Back To Richmond

The All “A” Classic basketball tournaments are moving back to Richmond.

The boys’ and girls’ tournaments — unofficial state tournaments annually held for the state’s smallest schools — will be contested from Jan. 24-28 at Eastern Kentucky University’s McBrayer Arena in Alumni Coliseum. The event’s board of directors made the announcement at EKU on Saturday morning.

Frankfort was the tournament’s home for the last five years. The scheduled razing of the Frankfort Convention Center left tournament organizers scrambling for a solution.

EKU, which hosted the event for 20 years before giving it up after 2011, was awarded a three-year contract. The Owensboro Sportscenter also made a proposal that was heavily considered, said Mike Reeves, a tournament director.

We were lucky when Eastern called and said, ‘Well, we’d like to talk to ya,’” Reeves said. All “A” officials weren’t sure if the school would be able to secure the venue for a week’s worth of high school games in the middle of the Ohio Valley Conference men’s and women’s basketball schedule.

Reeves thinks the attention surrounding the impromptu move has ultimately been beneficial for the tournament’s profile.

“The best thing about this whole thing is people actually want our tournament. They really do,” Reeves said. “And not that we thought they wouldn’t, buy you never know. We’ve been surprised, because a lot of people we didn’t think were all that interested have called us or emailed and said, ‘We hope you guys work it out.’ Not that they had sites or anything, but a lot of people had volunteered to help us find a site if we couldn’t.”

A new video board and other renovations have been added to McBrayer Arena since the last time the tournaments were held in the venue.

Reeves said Frankfort had been a great host. He’ll miss the convention center’s arena, which seated about 5,000 fans in a bowl, because both ends of the floor had “fan sections.” Only the “home” team gets use of such a section at McBrayer Arena, which seats about 6,500.

Tournament officials visited the Owensboro Sportscenter, a 5,000-seat venue where Kentucky Wesleyan College’s teams play, and thought it was “really nice,” Reeves said. Parking and hotel situations in both cities were about equal, but EKU’s more centralized location and familiarity helped put it over the top.

“Owensboro is great, but Eastern is Eastern,” Reeves said. “We’ve been there before. I love the atmosphere there.”

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-...166890527.html

eky.sports.fan 08-14-2017 08:04 AM

I'm very glad to hear this, I love going to as many of these games as I can and Richmond is much closer to work and home that other potential sites -

Wyatt Earp 08-19-2017 07:56 AM

EKU was always a great place to for the tournament.

Trojan4Life 08-19-2017 10:17 AM

Be nice to move it back to Memorial one more time!

E's Army 08-19-2017 08:31 PM

EKU always did a good job hosting.

On The Creek 08-20-2017 09:44 AM

Good news here. Richmond is the best location to have this tourney.

Laker 08-20-2017 02:36 PM

EKU always did a great job hosting. Great move, would also not mind seeing it at Memorial. Nice opportunity for the kid to get to play there.

Blackcat Legend 08-22-2017 05:17 AM

Freedom Hall would be a pretty cool place to play it also

Wolverine 08-22-2017 09:53 AM

I am glad to hear the ALL A is headed back to Richmond

Blue_Bird96 10-06-2017 01:45 PM

EKU was a great place for the all A tourney for years! Good move bringing it back!!!

Spud6 10-06-2017 05:21 PM

That brings a happy place back to this ole Betsy Layne boys face.

Good memories in that place!

Westside 10-06-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud6 (Post 2087389)
That brings a happy place back to this ole Betsy Layne boys face.

Good memories in that place!

Do you ever wear your state championship ring?

E's Army 10-07-2017 10:26 AM

Eastern's gym is the perfect size for this event. They have plenty of parking and sufficient hotel rooms.

Spud6 10-07-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westside (Post 2087395)
Do you ever wear your state championship ring?

Negative. But I did wear it when we as a team got inducted into the Betsy Layne hall of fame this past year.

But me and my uncle talk about the great memories we had playing in that tourney almost every time we see one another. And I know it sounds wired, but yes, he is my uncle. Only two years older than me. Lol

A lot of announcers always would say we were cousins on TV and we'd always get a good laugh out of it.

Westside 10-07-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud6 (Post 2087982)
Negative. But I did wear it when we as a team got inducted into the Betsy Layne hall of fame this past year.

But me and my uncle talk about the great memories we had playing in that tourney almost every time we see one another. And I know it sounds wired, but yes, he is my uncle. Only two years older than me. Lol

A lot of announcers always would say we were cousins on TV and we'd always get a good laugh out of it.

I taught Nathan and Dylan Maldonado when they were in 5th grade. I watched the championship on WYMT. I was rooting hard for you all. That was a really good team. I'm glad you all brought a state title to our school. It's too bad that our school can't keep the talent anymore.

Spud6 10-07-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westside (Post 2087989)
I taught Nathan and Dylan Maldonado when they were in 5th grade. I watched the championship on WYMT. I was rooting hard for you all. That was a really good team. I'm glad you all brought a state title to our school. It's too bad that our school can't keep the talent anymore.

It does stink to see how the program has taken a hard turn backwards from when nate and them started high to when we graduated in 2014.