View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Head Coach
Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,429 Times in 861 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NextGeneration View Post
They do take outside kids with tuition, however if they reach a certain number they cut it off to stay under the Class A cap. If they took everyone that wanted to go I believe they would move up. I talked to their AD once and he hinted to that very process. I may be very wrong. Middlesboro could do the same. Because you want to be Class A doesn't mean education is not the most important. I have been told for years by folks in Middlesboro they want to play Class A . If nothing else travel. That alone would save tons of money. My point it is in their control if they wanted to they could.
Pikeville does NOT cap the number to just stay in Class A level. The cap is in place by agreement with the Pike County schools, and I believe the number is 400 students total in any year from the county school district. So this means from Kindergarten to 12th grade, any student who lives out of the city district and in the county district, must be one of the 300, the agreement has been in place for a long time. And the 300 people must still pay tuition. Last I heard, the County was trying to reduce that number, but I don't know that for a fact since I was not privy to the actual conversation.

Pikeville has had a waiting list of people who have wanted to come to the school forever. Since I was in school even way back in the day.
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote