View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,425 Times in 1,020 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Originally Posted by Westside View Post
Not to get off topic, but I wish they would bring back the Apple Bowl, Johnson Central vs Paintsville. As far as this game, I will state the obvious. Johnson Central is going into the game as the favorite. Can Greenup County win? Crazier things have happened, but it will be a tall order.
As long as Jim Matney coaches Johnson Central, an annual Apple Bowl between one of the top 1A and top 4A teams would be a blowout game. It will be a sad day for JC football when a school with Paintsville's enrollment can field a team that can compete consistently with the Golden Eagles.

Coach Chirico has done an amazing job bringing the Tigers' football program from the edge of extinction to its current level, where they are consistently a top 5 1A team in the state. But a 5-to-1 enrollment advantage means that all else being equal, Paintsville would rarely win a game against Johnson Central. Paintsville dominated the Apple Bowl games for years but for most of that period, the Tigers held a huge coaching advantage over Johnson Central. Under Coach Bill Musick, the tide turned in JC's favor. Then, after three dark years of coaching mediocrity, Coach Matney wasting no time in making it clear that the Apple Bowl would not be a competitive match-up on his watch.

I hate that Paintsville holds a huge edge in the series with JC, but it would be better for both schools to play competitive games in the Apple Bowl in a double-header against schools closer to their own size. When and if the series finally resumes, it will mean that Matney is gone and JC's days as a state contender are over.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page