Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media Room advice
Whats the best way to go tv wise?

Monster LED 3d TV, or Projector and screen setup? Will be used mostly for movies and sports.
It is pretty simple.

If you like a big big picture go with the projector, although if it is in the living area it will be a pain to turn on/off and somewhere to place it, unless you have a ceiling mount.

If you like clear picture quality, go with the LCD screen. Preferably a samsung, best on the market.

for just sports and movies, I'd go with a LCD easy.

During the games you can see sweat roll of foreheads with an HD provider, with a projector, you cannot get that image quality.
From what Ive been reading lately, they make HD projectors that according to reviews show the high quality pictures like the HDTV. They now also make 3d projectors. They are pretty expensive, but im sure its amazing. As of now we have a 47 inch samsung HDTV in the living room which I love. But this will be a completely separate room built strictly as a media room. Not a living area. We more than likely will go with either stadium type seating or rows of recliners.
Get a Vizio
I am also looking for a good LCD 32 inch for a good price any advice or preference?
I see two problems you need to address:

1) The one thing with projectors everyone forgets about is the fact that the lamp is not designed to be used for extremely long periods. Those lamps are extremely expensive and don't have a very long life. Expect t be replacing a lamp every 2 years or so, and each time you do it will make you cringe.

2) LED 3D TV's are awesome...but right now you are going to be paying a premium for the new technology. Just like anything, if you wait until Christmas you will see the price drop by 20%.
My Father has a HD projector and its picture is fantastic. He has had it for about two years now and hasn't had a problem with it yet. He has it on a ceiling mount in his "Man Cave" room hooked up to a pa system. We use it mostly for Ball games, UFC events, and movies, but I do enjoying just watching regular tv on it also. I would highly suggest getting the projector.
Yeah it looks like after a couple of years you gotta replace a bulb if you watch tv on it all the time. I think an avg span is 3-5k hours. Then a new bulb is 350-500 bucks depending on the brand.
Again this wont be an everyday tv that stays on. It will be a special event type deal to where we go in to watch movies or sporting events. I was leaning toward the projector because of the huge screen and I feel like it would add to the vibe of the room more than just a large tv. I mean who doesnt have a big flat screen these days? And im not sold on the whole 3d tv thing. One I dont wanna sit around with glasses on, and theres really not a whole lot of channels and such that would make it useful. Also if you have a bunch of people over there is no way you can afford to go out and buy everyone $100 pair of glasses to enjoy it equally.
Im glad to hear someone actually has one of the HD projectors and likes it. I was a bit worried that it wouldnt be true HD. Thanks TGYLTH
Another thing I like about the projector is you can buy an inflatable screen that you can set up outside. This way when you have cook outs or say rent a UFC event during the summer you can use your projector outside and enjoy it in the nice weather(this of course would be at night so you could see it). We have done this several times and have really enjoyed using the inflatable screen outside.
I have borrowed projectors from school and done this. We call it our home drive in. We built a screen with PVC pipe, wood, and huge white bed sheets. Also during a younger cousins bday party we had it set up playing kids movies right next to the pool. The could lay on the floats and watch movies.
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:Another thing I like about the projector is you can buy an inflatable screen that you can set up outside. This way when you have cook outs or say rent a UFC event during the summer you can use your projector outside and enjoy it in the nice weather(this of course would be at night so you could see it). We have done this several times and have really enjoyed using the inflatable screen outside.
we do this every summer it's great. Our own "drive in" theater. Even bought an old screen at a yard sale and put it on the back of the house. Kids love it and can't wait to do it again once the weather warms up
I'm not really sold on this 3D TV yet. I've watch stuff on them and it's cool and all but each time I think do I really want to watch TV wearing these stupid glasses. Plus do I Want to buy glasses to have extra when company comes over. I'm thinking the negatives out way the positives on the current 3D model.