Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Change The NBA Playoff System?
Personally I feel that the 7 game series are too long. What's your thoughts?
Nope, love it. In college sports the better team on that particular day wins, but in the NBA you have to beat a team 4 times to prove that you are better. So they are no flukes.
HawksRule Wrote:Personally I feel that the 7 game series are too long. What's your thoughts?

I agree, the first round has to go back to the 5 game series.
I would eliminate playoff rounds and divisions. Each conference would have two divisions and a total of only four teams would make the playoffs.

The current system results in too many teams clinching playoff spots early and then ripping off paying fans by putting an inferior product on the floor to reduce the risk of injuries and to rest players for games that "matter."
Aslan Wrote:Nope, love it. In college sports the better team on that particular day wins, but in the NBA you have to beat a team 4 times to prove that you are better. So they are no flukes.

:Thumbs: Agreed.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I would eliminate playoff rounds and divisions. Each conference would have two divisions and a total of only four teams would make the playoffs.

The current system results in too many teams clinching playoff spots early and then ripping off paying fans by putting an inferior product on the floor to reduce the risk of injuries and to rest players for games that "matter."

That would be terrible IMO. I like the playoffs system the way it is.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I would eliminate playoff rounds and divisions. Each conference would have two divisions and a total of only four teams would make the playoffs.

I agree. 53% of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs already make the playoffs in the current system. Making the playoffs is not that big of a deal if more than half the league in the playoffs, and it makes for terrible first round match ups.
The only thing that I disagree with you is that I would have four teams from each conference making the playoffs.
Jarons Wrote:I agree. 53% of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs already make the playoffs in the current system. Making the playoffs is not that big of a deal if more than half the league in the playoffs, and it makes for terrible first round match ups.
The only thing that I disagree with you is that I would have four teams from each conference making the playoffs.

Not always the case, the Pacers have played the Bulls down to the wire in all four games so far and the #8 seed in the west in leading the series 2-1 right now.
I like it and don't like it. I like that it gives teams a chance to get some wins and push the series to a tie breaking game (Game 7). I don't like it because it takes way too long and they always have a day apart from games and when a change of venue happens they take like 4 days just to play another game
Why even play the regular season. A team could play 28 games - TWENTY EIGHT GAMES in the Playoffs. That's ignorant. Let's nix the entire 82 game season and just have one massive playoff including every team. You would wind up with 82 games anyhow!
Back to five game series(not counting conf final and the finals)and not as much time off in between games.

This wouldn't make too much economic sense for the NBA. Would lose a ton of money on their TV deals.
Aslan Wrote:This wouldn't make too much economic sense for the NBA. Would lose a ton of money on their TV deals.
The question was, "Would you change the NBA playoff system?" I would. I am not an NBA owner, so whether my preference would make economic sense to the NBA, its players or its owners is of no concern to me.

In fact, if the NBA folded tomorrow and its players had to get real jobs after playing four years of college basketball, I would not miss it all that much.
I like the playoffs like they are, however I would also like to see every team in the NBA get to play in the playoffs...

I wouldn't mind seeing something like a regular tourney (just one game) and the winners advance on to play the winners...

This would also mean that if this would have been in place, LA would already be at the house Big Grin