Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County 62 Magoffin County 55
Congrats Powell County!
it was a bad called game i cant beleve that the refs missed so many calls in front of them and all the bad calls they made
congrats powell county
the game was ugly no question about it. missed calls both ways. the refs were pretty easy on magoffins coach, he was going wild. good game none the less powell really needed the win with district come march 1st.
I wish I could have attended.
Congrats Powell Co.
congrats Powell County
I'm usually defending the officials in these threads. But this game was ridiculous! Sure calls were missed both ways. But the OVERWHELMING majority of bad calls went against Magoffin County! It wasn't even close.

From the beginning, Powell County was allowed to hammer and shove Magoffin County all over the paint - mostly no calls. Magoffin County couldn't breath on Powell County - foul.

Magoffin would go up for a rebound and get shoved - two hands in the middle of the back - out of bounds, right in front of the ref. No call!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Magoffin did miss a lot of shots in the first quarter. But they were getting HAMMERED!

I thought the Hornets did well to cut a referee-aided first half lead to 7 at half time.

But from the opening of the second half it was obvious the refs were not going to let Magoffin win this one!

There were ridiculous travelling calls on Magoffin County. Yet one Powell County player jumped up and down with the ball, again right in front of the ref, and no call was made.

Several balls were thrown or kicked out of bounds by Powell County, but the refs gave the ball back to Powell County. A Magoffin County player got a rebound under his own basket and was 2 1/2 feet from the base line when he came down (I was only 20 feet from this play). The ref said he was out of bounds and gave the ball to Powell County.

Powell County had a play they used about 6 or 8 times where one player would drive to the basket while another player would literally push Magoffin County players across the lane to clear his teammate's path to the goal. The refs only called 1 illegal screen on that play all night long. And that was only after the crowd was about to erupt and Powell County did it twice in a row!

The refs backed off a bit when Powell County got up by 19 points in the second half. That's when Magoffin came charging back into the game. When they cut the lead to 3 points, the refs took the game over again. Yes, Magoffin turned the ball over a couple of time after they cut the lead to three. But there was plenty of time left and the refs simply would not allow Magoffin to take the lead.

Like I said, I usually defend the refs in these threads. Not this time.

In many years of watching high school sports, I can only say I believe the refs systematically stole a game twice. I'm not talking about a blown call that was critical to the outcome of the game. I'm talking about OBVIOUSLY taking sides in the game throughout the game. Refs are accused of that all the time. But in all my years, I can only say I saw it twice.

Last night was one of them.

The other one was 3 years ago in a football game. Guess what, it was also at Powell County!

I know one 16th Region Coach very well. He says he will NEVER schedule a 14th Region Team at a 14th Region site again.

I used to laugh at him about it. I'm not laughing now!
Congrats Powell County!