Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toyota's Georgetown plant celebrates 25 years
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/b2/201.../311190051

Susan Whitney never planned to be a part of the Toyota manufacturing family for a quarter of a century.

But after being the first American hire at Georgetown’s plant in April 1986 — one month before ground was broken on the 1,300-acre tract that would become a Camry plant — Whitney finds herself among the thousands of employees who are celebrating the plant’s silver anniversary.

“I did not set a goal to work 25 years (at the plant) and now that I look back at all the things I’ve seen and been associated with, I’m really proud,” said Whitney, who lives in Lexington and makes a 30- to 35-minute commute to work each day. “It’s been a great experience.”

Whitney, a group leader for Body Operations, said the company has continued to instill a sense of family and leadership within the community and region.

As many auto companies resorted to layoffs to absorb profit losses within the last few years, Toyota stood fast and did not lay off any employees at its North American plants.

“Our approach is very different than what you think of when companies have a downturn, but we kept our doors open,” said Rick Hesterberg, a Toyota spokesman at the Scott County plant.

Toyota employs about 6,600 workers at the plant, which churns out about 500,000 vehicles annually.

Toyota executives attribute the plant’s milestone to its commitment, but also credit regional support.

Mike Goss, general manager of external affairs for Toyota’s manufacturing headquarters in Erlanger, Ky., said the company was looking for a strong workforce with a good work ethic when choosing a location for its first wholly owned auto manufacturing facility in the mid -1980s.

“We found that in Kentucky,” Goss said. “We were also looking for a community that really wanted to support (us), and we certainly got that from the governor at the time, Martha Layne Collins. She really went to bat for the Toyota plant.”

Collins, along with state and community supporters and company executives including the plant’s first president, Fujio Cho, were to mark the plant’s anniversary during a celebration Saturday at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington.