Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cumberlands 63 UPike 21
WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. – The No. 14 University of the Cumberlands Patriots jumped out to a 42-7 lead en route to a 63-21 win over the University of Pikeville Saturday afternoon at James H. Taylor II Stadium.

Cumberlands had eight players find pay dirt on the day, with kicker Justin Dyer sinking all nine extra-points in his teams' fourth win in as many games this season.

The Patriots scored three different ways to take a 21-0 lead after one period. Sophomore Dewaun Harrison intercepted a pass and sprinted 21 yards for the first score. Before the period ended, junior Terrance Cobb scored on a seven-yard run and senior quarterback Jay Bright hit junior Willie Gibson from 35 yards out, with senior Justin Dyer nailing all three PATs.

Bright scored on a two-yard keeper to end a seven-yard drive that was set up by an interception by junior Adrian Hightower to make it 28-0 with 13:50 left in the half.

The Bears got on the scoreboard with 11:23 to play. Hoskins hit sophomore Cameron Nolan for a 74-yard gain to set up a two-yard keeper by sophomore Jared Harris. Sophomore Grayson Quick made it 28-0 with the extra point.

Cumberland scored two more times, first on an 18-yard run by junior D'Angelo Jordan and then on a 99-yard fumble recovery by junior Nick Smith to go up 42-7.

Before intermission, Hoskins threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to junior Jordan Amis. Amis reached around a defender to haul in the catch, which moved him past receiver's coach Justin Lamb and give him the all-time record for receiving yards.

Quick made it 42-14 with 55 seconds left.

The Patriots added on two third-quarter scores. Gibson scooted 34 yards for the first, followed by an eight-yard run by junior Terrance Cobb to make it 56-14.

The teams traded scores in the final frame. Sophomore Seth Millar scored on a 36-yard run to end a 10-play, 80-yard drive for the Bears. Freshman Jake Minga finished scoring with a 10-yard carry.

Millar was the highlight of the day for the guests, picking up 135 yards on 11 carries and the score for his first career 100-yard game.

The quarterback combination of Hoskins and sophomore Reese Browning were 11-of-29 for 192 yards. Nolan led the receiving corps with 74 yards. Sophomore Tanner Napier had two catches for 64 yards.

Cobb led the Patriots with 97 yards on nine carries. Two Cumberlands' passers were 6-of-14 for 99 yards, with six different receivers hauling in passes.

Freshman Matthew Robinson and sophomore Nick Steff led the defense with five tackles apiece. J.K. Hall, John Dudley Hilton and Deontay Dorsey Norton had four tackles each.

Pikeville (3-2, 1-1) will be home next Saturday to host Cumberland (Tenn.) University at 1:30 on Homecoming. Cumberlands will hook up with Lindsey Wilson next week.

-UPIKEBears.com
Go U.C. I was there in town for a funeral. This was a good game. I thought U.C. dominated on both sides of the line! I did think UPike had some good receivers though.
ouch, what UP record now, i thought they was going be good?