Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Highlands' Winter Program Different
I was talking to Derek Smith on Wednesday and we were talking about the game against the Florida team. He was saying that the reason Highlands was able to come back and win so easily was because the Florida kids were winded not long into the game and the Highlands kids were able to keep playing at 100%. The he said it was because of how Dale conditions them from January straight up to when practice begins (and then still some in practice, obviously), but I was thinking and thought that all teams do that.

I know CovCath had a winter program and our team conditioned and ran all through the winter, so what makes Highlands players more able to play at a high level for longer (if he was right about that)?

Is it because their offense is more spread out and more of a fast pace/more mobile offense?

CovCath's is more like that now, too, so are they even better conditioned than CCH? If so, is it to the point of being game changing?
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
It's because Highlands has 10 Receivers that ALL play. Was talking to the Camel coaches last night and they feel the reason that the FL team died is because of the platooning a new set of receivers EVERY down by HHS. The Birds receivers stretched the field and sprinted on every single play. As soon as the play ended, 3-4 ran off, 3-4 ran on. 10 receivers caught passes as well. HHS averaged 14 seconds between snaps.

Yes, winter conditioning is a big factor, but you cannot defend against that. The ONLY defense a team has, is offensive ball control!
FYI - I'll see it from the sidelines first hand tomorrow. I was on the sidelines for the Camel/Colonel scrimmage and CCH was very deliberate. They outperformed the Camels with better execution, but the Camels D was by no means winded. Camels practiced all week with a 2 deep platoon. D practiced at a pace of 9 seconds between snaps. But there is no way you can mimic what HHS does real time!
As I have said in another thread, you need 10 cornerbacks to play Highlands. HHS has in the neighborhood of 110 on their varsity roster. You need that many to carry 10 cornerbacks. Only T and X have deeper rosters than HHS, and I don't see either of them on HHS regular schedule.
Highlands doesn't seem to have much of a drop off when they sub. Their second bunch is better than most teams first bunch.
Dusty hit it on the head.

I was just saying the same thing in the Wburg thread about how numbers in this state are useless. Its good coaches and offensive packages that rotates fresh players in.

If your a good coach that it capable of contructing an offense where, with one word, you can completely change your entire receiving core a well as your offensive set, then your going to win a lot of games, especialy with the talent highlands produces on a yearly basis.

You can be the best coaches in the world with remarkable talent, but if your entire defense is also playing offense, or even if your defense does only play defense, if you dont get subs with the same reasonable talent, your going to get burnt.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dusty hit it on the head.

I was just saying the same thing in the Wburg thread about how numbers in this state are useless. Its good coaches and offensive packages that rotates fresh players in.

If your a good coach that it capable of contructing an offense where, with one word, you can completely change your entire receiving core a well as your offensive set, then your going to win a lot of games, especialy with the talent highlands produces on a yearly basis.

You can be the best coaches in the world with remarkable talent, but if your entire defense is also playing offense, or even if your defense does only play defense, if you dont get subs with the same reasonable talent, your going to get burnt.

Speak English man
His portugese is norwegian to me Confusednicker:

Agreed Dusty and Gut on the perspective...14 seconds is pretty impressive!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
mightydog Wrote:Speak English man

:rage:

:gtfo:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dusty hit it on the head.

I'll agree with mightydog.....I'll have what your drinking :biggrin:
:insane:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::rage:

:gtfo:

Gut, if BaylorBirdDog gets time he may explain it to us. He played college football. :yikes: :Cheerlead :Clap:
^ I played Madden 2013, so that makes me just as Football smart.... Confusednicker:
Stardust Wrote:It's because Highlands has 10 Receivers that ALL play. Was talking to the Camel coaches last night and they feel the reason that the FL team died is because of the platooning a new set of receivers EVERY down by HHS. The Birds receivers stretched the field and sprinted on every single play. As soon as the play ended, 3-4 ran off, 3-4 ran on. 10 receivers caught passes as well. HHS averaged 14 seconds between snaps.

Yes, winter conditioning is a big factor, but you cannot defend against that. The ONLY defense a team has, is offensive ball control!

I love the fact that whenever a player gets tackled, they pop right back up and sprint to the sideline, not jog, not lay on the ground for a second, up and sprinting. Also, it's not just the rotation, it's the fact that you have to be conscious of every receiver. They can ALL play, like there isn't a drop in (hockey term here, stay with me guys)their lines. They shift in 1, 2, and 3 and there is no production drop. The fatigue is very physical, but it also mental because you can never "take it easy" on receiver #8. It is in Wirth's head big time. He had a terrible time last year matching Highlands packages w/ the pace at which they switch receivers.
Yes Fritz their winter program is different. Let me explain. I have been to 2 days of watching the winter program and I have seen a couple other programs that have won state titles work out. (lca, boyle, bowling green) Highlands workout is at another level.

#1 They looked at their terrible facility and decided that they had to have multiple stations going in different parts of the building going simultaneously to get effective work done.

#2 After the first loss to Boyle in the title game years ago (2005 maybe?) they made the commitment that Boyle is a machine and looks like green berets out there, so we are going to train like navy seals and take it to another level.

#3 The tradition, parents, and community expectation allow the coaches to ask for more from a Highlands kid than normal people can imagine or tolerate.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Yes Fritz their winter program is different. Let me explain. I have been to 2 days of watching the winter program and I have seen a couple other programs that have won state titles work out. (lca, boyle, bowling green) Highlands workout is at another level.

#1 They looked at their terrible facility and decided that they had to have multiple stations going in different parts of the building going simultaneously to get effective work done.

#2 After the first loss to Boyle in the title game years ago (2005 maybe?) they made the commitment that Boyle is a machine and looks like green berets out there, so we are going to train like navy seals and take it to another level.

#3 The tradition, parents, and community expectation allow the coaches to ask for more from a Highlands kid than normal people can imagine or tolerate.

I have been told similar things by other coaches that Dale has permitted observe Highlands winter workouts: It is unlike anything they've ever seen before. Ever.

I know one coach that tried to take that system back to his program. When the players went home complaining about puking during the conditioning sessions, the parents complained to the administrators and the coaches had to back off. I'm serious here when I say that Highlands parents worry when their kids aren't puking during the off season workout sessions.

PS: it was the loss to Boyle in 2003 that caused Dale to dramatically intensify the off season workouts. Boyle raised the bar and Dale responded. Result: Highlands beat Boyle in the 2004 state championship game.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Yes Fritz their winter program is different. Let me explain. I have been to 2 days of watching the winter program and I have seen a couple other programs that have won state titles work out. (lca, boyle, bowling green) Highlands workout is at another level.

^One of the strongest foundations of the Highlands program. This concept exemplifies the buy in from all, the dedication, and hard work necessary to do what Highlands does...win and achieve success!

In a world so foreign to concepts like consensus building, dedication, and hard work people point fingers and say they cheat. I would tell you to knock off the complaining, take notes, and go to work. The schools following Highlands example will have a lot more success more quickly than the others too busy not consensus building, dedicating the time and work ethic necessary to winning.

Happy consensus building and working your arse off to all of you Confusednicker:! And yes it takes a lot of time and dedication, as do all good achievements!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I'm wondering how you counter that.

You could say just run the ball but, even then, they score quick, you take a while to score, they score quick, you get stalled, they score quick.

A pass rush might work but they're in shotgun so much that it might negate the pass rush.

I guess just do like CCH did in '06: play a spread offense like they do and send all kinds of blitzes at them.

If you have a bunch of solid defensive backs (or even adequate), I guess you could rotate in defensive backs.

There's a few other ways I can think of but they're all tough for high school kids.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life