Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls Soccer in general
I think this state needs to figure a way to better figure out post-season. The most competitive teams are in Central Kentucky and North. Not to make people mad but its a joke that some of these mountain teams make it as far as they do when most couldn't compete with with over half of the state. Before you get upset...look at the rankings, stats, and post-season history.
:popcorn: ok since you brought it up..you must have an idea. Let's hear it!
When they re-done the soccer alignment KHSAA said they were gonna try and make it like the basketball alignment.
Since the new format, the best team in the state has won the championship. I agree the region 13-16 team will not be that strong, but people are going to have to get over it. That said, there is a strong effort by kids to improve, so lets hope they can get more competitive.
I agree, there is a strong effort to improve by the kids and by the schools. Many have been fielding middle school teams to try and improve the players skill set before they get to the high school level. There are also many new rec league programs in SEKY and EKY. It will take time but many of the schools are on the right path.
South Laurel (13th) and Russell (16th) will compete with anyone in the state this year. Both return 9 or 10 starters from last year sweet 16 and elite 8. Both have multiple high level club players and each will have a miss soccer candidate...
In my opinion Soccer needs to be in classes like football instead of the basketball setting. I know that this has many flaws as well. I do agree that the right team usually wins the state title and I'm not arguing that. In soccer though I hate the fact that a mountain team has to play a Central Ky or Northern or Louisville school. I just think if something doesn't change this sport will not grow much more than where its at now in Eastern and Southeast Ky. For those South Laurel and Russell teams they are decent, but they would be middle of the pack at best in the 11th region, and even worse in Northern Ky and Louisville.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:In my opinion Soccer needs to be in classes like football instead of the basketball setting. I know that this has many flaws as well. I do agree that the right team usually wins the state title and I'm not arguing that. In soccer though I hate the fact that a mountain team has to play a Central Ky or Northern or Louisville school. I just think if something doesn't change this sport will not grow much more than where its at now in Eastern and Southeast Ky. For those South Laurel and Russell teams they are decent, but they would be middle of the pack at best in the 11th region, and even worse in Northern Ky and Louisville.

Calm down taking baby steps hear in the mountain FarristonFlyer. I bet you love playing a 1st round with a mountain team. Confusednicker:
Quite honestly the KHSAA has nothing to do with how competitive the mountain area teams are. What is going to make the biggest impact on SEKY and EKY soccer would be the emergence of club teams in that area and for "soccer parents" to stop coaching rec league. Until that happens, regions 13-16 will always struggle to compete in KHSAA statewide competition.
Agreed!
skyhawk14 Wrote:South Laurel (13th) and Russell (16th) will compete with anyone in the state this year. Both return 9 or 10 starters from last year sweet 16 and elite 8. Both have multiple high level club players and each will have a miss soccer candidate...

South Laurel barely beat John Hardin in a 10-shooter (20 counting John) shootout. Also got ran by Thomas Nelson, which might be the third best team in the 5th Region. Also tied a Madison Southern than has won just 2-of-5 games.

South Laurel CAN'T play with anybody.

Russell gave up six to West Jess ... which matches West Jess' MOST scores in a game this season. Even 2-3 East Jessamine (which had a LOSING record last year) held West Jess to 4.
Can't speak for Russell, other than the fact that West Jess is going to crush a lot of decent teams before this season is over. As for South Laurel, they are devistated by injury. They have 5 starters out. They had to start 5 freshman in this tourney. They have lost 2 starters for the season (one MCL and broken foot). They lost to the eventual winner of the tournament and won the 3rd place game easily. They were the second best team here and are a fragment of the team they could be with all healthy. South doesn't have the numbers off most teams. They have 19 players total including freshman. With 5 players hurt, they can't compete at a high level. They played with 4 subs all weekend including one that could only jog with a limp. Now, are they a top 10 team with all healthy, IMO no. Are they a top 20 team, IMO no doubt. However, it will remain to be seen if and when they can get everyone back and fit.
cksportsfan Wrote:South Laurel barely beat John Hardin in a 10-shooter (20 counting John) shootout. Also got ran by Thomas Nelson, which might be the third best team in the 5th Region. Also tied a Madison Southern than has won just 2-of-5 games.

South Laurel CAN'T play with anybody.

Russell gave up six to West Jess ... which matches West Jess' MOST scores in a game this season. Even 2-3 East Jessamine (which had a LOSING record last year) held West Jess to 4.

Yeah Russell gave up 6 to West Jessamine but they beat East Jessamine 4-2.I just thought I would throw that out there since you were talking about East Jessamine holding west Jessamine to 4.
Soccer just can't seem to take hold and grow in our area. Volleyball softball and basketball seem to attract most of Ashlands better athletes. Soccer is very boring to watch unless you have a kid or kids playing and before you knock me for saying that my daughter plays for Ashland.
T-CATS Wrote:Soccer just can't seem to take hold and grow in our area. Volleyball softball and basketball seem to attract most of Ashlands better athletes. Soccer is very boring to watch unless you have a kid or kids playing and before you knock me for saying that my daughter plays for Ashland.
I agree that soccer is boring to watch I just follow all of Russell's results on all sports.
:lame: if you guys think soccer is boring, you likely have never seen any really good players play!
awsumbill_68 Wrote::lame: if you guys think soccer is boring, you likely have never seen any really good players play!
I've seen plenty of good players on team usa. Watching players kick the ball back and forth and waiting for a goal to be scored is just not as exciting as football. At least with football you can get excited if your team makes a first down, scores a touch down,field goal etc.:biglmao:
Hey creator of this post how about you pick up your city and change its geographical location if that's what it's going to take. A la Spongebob Squarepants let's push our city to the mountains. Better be careful what you ask for though. Soccer is growing in Appalachia
Also bt dubs I followed your vague instruction to look at the the rankings, postseason history and statistics. And well, I guess I'm more educated about high school girls soccer but I have no idea why that is significant.