Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 41 Raceland 35
Raceland out coached Ashland in the 1st half. Baker and Long couldnt do much off the edge. Instead of going inside against a young interior dline. Out of the gate these teams were evenly matched. Ashland went down 2 scores and fought back, their numbers had alot to do with that. In years past, raceland woukdhave folded as Ashland poured on the gas to the fire. Raceland's mindset is much different now. Down 3 scores, i expected it to be a high 40s/50s to high 20s final. But Raceland fought back. These 2 teams are BOTH very good and very tallented. Officiating was hideous. Ivenever seen so many sideline warnings. Weird officiating game. Ashland's numbers wore Raceland down for about 10 minutes between the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter into the start of the 4th. Neither team, imo stood out to be head and shoulders above the other. Bith made mistakes, both responded to adversity, Ashland's goina have to make more of attempt throwing the ball though. 3 of 7 isnt goina work in their region come play off time. Id let Long get down field. Hopefully the Tomcats see that their bread and butter against quick defenses is between the tackles with the counter and miss direction. The Jet sweep didnt get them far, nor did the off tackle stuff.

Both of these teams will benefit from this game come November.
Raceland's run game showed some grit, but that has to be addressed as well. Its not play calling, its execution. The line will figure it out though. Very high hopes from me now for this Raceland squad, as log as the turnovers are gotten under control.
Nice showing by the Rams
Thought it was a great game to watch and, forgive me if I spell his name wrong, Connor Messer just seemed like he did everything, very impressive kid. And Bradley for Ashland, kept hearing his name called all night for making tackles, he played a great game. I will say that if not for the big runs and some key turnovers by Raceland, may have went the other way. But just like last year, Ashland made the plays they needed to make in order to win. I think Raceland will be a load for anyone that they play the rest of the year and I was really impressed with how they wrapped up ball carriers most of the night, Ashland really needs some improvement on the offensive line.
Glad to see the Fairview transfers fitting in with Tomcats.
I may need to rethink about Raceland this year.Good job 1A Raceland, Williamsburg would love to give y'all a rematch....
Raceland if they stay healthy and hungry can make a long deep playoff run.
T-CATS Wrote:Raceland if they stay healthy and hungry can make a long deep playoff run.

I believe you...:rockon:
I think this Raceland team has the potential to be better than last year's team. I was very impressed how they did not quit. I really thought it was going to be a huge blowout after the performance in the third quarter. The Rams could be really dangerous in the playoffs if they keep developing this season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Leaping Lee Wrote:The better team typically isn't down by 20 plus in the 4th quarter. Simply a dumb statement.

We were up 20-7 a-hole! We started doing stupid crap and instead of building a bigger lead we let Ashland back in the game. There is a reason Ashland came back. We let them get back in it with stupid mistakes.
Messer being out in the 3rd helped them in their pass coverage as well. Ashland is quick and atheletic, but they ran a spy to his side most of the night. Not exactly a double team or anything but they always kept a safety to help the CB out. That was a big factor in the turn around as well.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Messer being out in the 3rd helped them in their pass coverage as well. Ashland is quick and atheletic, but they ran a spy to his side most of the night. Not exactly a double team or anything but they always kept a safety to help the CB out. That was a big factor in the turn around as well.

Man, I was impressed with that kid, he is a flat out athlete and an outstanding football player. He was all over the field and me and some of my friends laughed about how it seemed every time that they announced a Ram player's name, his was being communicated more often than not. You guys have a really good team and are obviously going to have one heck of a season.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Messer being out in the 3rd helped them in their pass coverage as well. Ashland is quick and atheletic, but they ran a spy to his side most of the night. Not exactly a double team or anything but they always kept a safety to help the CB out. That was a big factor in the turn around as well.

Dang Scotty from the sounds of it Raceland is a little better this year and Lawrence County is a little better this year. On 9/26/14 we are going to see a good one in Louisa and I will be there!:rockon:
I think raceland is ahead of were I thought they would be. Keep the hard work up rams.
Got to see some video of the Raceland-v-Ashland game on HUDL. The new stadium looks good, but (and it could just be an optical illusion) the end zone's look like they are both up hill from the rest of the field.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Dang Scotty from the sounds of it Raceland is a little better this year and Lawrence County is a little better this year. On 9/26/14 we are going to see a good one in Louisa and I will be there!:rockon:

Watched the LC/RC highlights as well. LC has some nice atheletea as well. That one could turn into a shootout. LC/Raceland that is.
Patch Wrote:Man, I was impressed with that kid, he is a flat out athlete and an outstanding football player. He was all over the field and me and some of my friends laughed about how it seemed every time that they announced a Ram player's name, his was being communicated more often than not. You guys have a really good team and are obviously going to have one heck of a season.

Great observation Cabbage Patch Kid. Connor is the best athlete in our region hands down and one of the top athletes in the state regardless of small school or large school.
Messer's health and durability will be a large factor for Raceland's success.
Ashland barely beat a 1A team. :biglmao:
We will be in week 6 and this thread will still be here I'm sure. Lol