Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 ky high school coaches all-time
Dudley is the best of the bestSmile
Dale Mueller's W/L record would have been even better had he not scheduled at least one top notch non district opponent each year. IMHO, the fact that his teams averaged playing 14.3 games per year, of a possible 15, is the most impressive stat. That is a tough one to top.

Beatty is at 14.3, also, over his 13 years.
Was it the same coach that take boyle co to 5 titles in a row. I know this team won 50 some games in row. If it was the same coach. Then he should be on this list.
Ok,

Let's start a list:
Dale Mueller
Larry French
Dudley Hilton
Homer Rice

The coach at Louisville Central?
I want to say Campbell? Someone correct me. But I feel he needs to be in the top ten.
cj2561 Wrote:Was it the same coach that take boyle co to 5 titles in a row. I know this team won 50 some games in row. If it was the same coach. Then he should be on this list.

Chuck Smith was a hard one to leave off, but it the end I couldn't justify replacing anyone for him. The other two on the list that had similar time coaching in KY were on the list because they had a combined 18 State Titles. He probably deserves it but I don't know who he'd replace. Maybe McGlone?
cj2561 Wrote:Was it the same coach that take boyle co to 5 titles in a row. I know this team won 50 some games in row. If it was the same coach. Then he should be on this list.

Smith's coaching career began as an assistant coach at Mercer County High School from 1983-86. His first head coaching position was in 1987 at Allen County Scottsville High School, where he took over a losing program and posted a winning season in his only year at the school. He took over another struggling team at Campbellsville High School (1988–91) and orchestrated a turnaround, eventually guiding the team to a state playoff berth in his final season at the school. He left Campbellsville in 1992.

At Boyle County High School, he compiled a 142-33 record in 13 seasons. Smith's teams won the Class AA titles in 1999 and 2000 with perfect 15-0 records. After reclassification changed Boyle County to Class AAA in 2001, the team still produced an undefeated 15-0 season. The team's winning streak under Smith ended at 47 games (second-longest in Kentucky history) during the 2002 regular season, but Boyle County went on to win the state championship that year and again in 2003. Smith's 2004 squad went 12-3, with a loss in the state finals ending the state-record streaks of five consecutive championships and 29 straight playoff victories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Smith...l_coach%29
pjdoug Wrote:Smith's coaching career began as an assistant coach at Mercer County High School from 1983-86. His first head coaching position was in 1987 at Allen County Scottsville High School, where he took over a losing program and posted a winning season in his only year at the school. He took over another struggling team at Campbellsville High School (1988–91) and orchestrated a turnaround, eventually guiding the team to a state playoff berth in his final season at the school. He left Campbellsville in 1992.

At Boyle County High School, he compiled a 142-33 record in 13 seasons. Smith's teams won the Class AA titles in 1999 and 2000 with perfect 15-0 records. After reclassification changed Boyle County to Class AAA in 2001, the team still produced an undefeated 15-0 season. The team's winning streak under Smith ended at 47 games (second-longest in Kentucky history) during the 2002 regular season, but Boyle County went on to win the state championship that year and again in 2003. Smith's 2004 squad went 12-3, with a loss in the state finals ending the state-record streaks of five consecutive championships and 29 straight playoff victories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Smith...l_coach%29

I think he's definitely top 15, but I'm not sure how to justify replacing anyone with him on the list I made. There were a couple I didn't want to leave out and that's why I have four tied at #10. I may have added McGlone due to our personal relationship but I also justified it by his longevity, win total, as well as his titles. With Smith only having a couple more than him, and McGlone having double his win total, I decided on him. If Beatty and Yeagle hadn't have won so many titles I wouldn't have added them because they had around the same amount years in KY coaching. If he'd have stayed at the high school level from 2005-2012 then he could have been top 3.

In reality, I would've liked to have added him, Holcomb, Haley, Duffy, and Wallace to the #10 spot as well, but I figured getting into 9 people tied for #10 wouldn't work. Ha
This is one of those threads that is gonna have many different winners and winers. That is why I like to steer away from hypothetical stuff like this.

Chuck Smith took the Rebels to five straight titles. Lost two games in those five years. (2002). The win streak was actually 47.
1A Joe Morris Mayfield
1B Jack Morris
1C Me just as soon as someone realizes my talents and hires me on

2A #55 I think he drinks that water before every game to get an edge
2B #64 though numerically 9 ahead of 55, #64 has no water causing him to be placed slightly behind his BFF #55 who has promised him a very small bottle of the water
mysonis55 Wrote:This is one of those threads that is gonna have many different winners and winers. That is why I like to steer away from hypothetical stuff like this.

What's hypothetical about a top 10 list?
Where does Scroggins from Central fall?

5 Championships and another contingent in less than 10 years of being the Head Coach.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Where does Scroggins from Central fall?

5 Championships and another contingent in less than 10 years of being the Head Coach.

I think everyone has their way of deciding what weighs in more than others and how much total wins plays a role. For me, if they had less than 15 years coaching in Ky then their state titles would have to be an astronomical number. That's why I only have two with that amount of time and they had 18 titles between them and even more appearances. Everybody is different though. I just don't think five titles and coaching less than ten years could break the top ten. The ones that had less than five titles had 300+ wins and several appearances, like Haywood, Schneider, etc. All of those guys averaged 10+ wins a season during their career. Maybe I should have extended it to a top 20?

This was the list I made;

1) Dale Mueller(20 years)-Highlands, 250 wins, 14 State Championship appearances, 11 State Titles
2) Bob Beatty(13 year in KY/13 in Missouri)- Trinity, 165-21 win/loss record, 12 State Championship appearances, 10 State Titles, and a National Championship in 2011.
3) Sam Harp(32 years)- Danville, 326 wins, 10 State Championship appearances, 7 State Titles
4) Mike Glaser(31 years)- Saint Xavier, 336 wins, 11 State Championship appearances, 7 State Titles
5) Phillip Haywood(40 years)- Belfry, 388 wins, 9 state Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
6) Bob Schneider(44 years)- Newport Central Catholic, 345 wins, 9 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
7) Dudley Hilton(35 years), Bell County/Bourbon County, 345 wins, 3 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
8) Mike Yeagle-Beechwood, 181-27 win/loss record, 10 State Championship appearances, 8 State Titles
9) Joe Jaggers(33 years)- North Hardin/Fort Knox/Trigg County/Nelson County/Old KY Home, 292 wins, 6 State Championship Appearances, 5 State Titles
10) Jack Morris(24 years)- Mayfield, 254 wins, 9 State Championship appearances, 4 State Titles
10A) Bob Redman(35 years)-Louisville Male/Durret/Waggener/Ballard, 317 wins, 6 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
10B) Hillard Howard(25 years)-Pikeville/Letcher Central, 244 wins, 5 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
10C) Lynn Ray(30 years)- Covington Catholic, 232 wins, 5 State Titles(undefeated in State Titles games).
10D) Ivan McGlone(38 years)-Russell/Huntington Vinson, 316 wins in Ky/28 in WV, 3 State Championship appearances, 2 State Titles
If you want to add Chuck Smith or Mike Holcomb to my list above then you'd have the top 15.
I guess I could do it myself, and others that could be added to this list; Chuck Smith, Tom Duffy, Dan Haley, Tom Larkey, Kevin Wallace, Ed Miracle, Walter Brugh, Joe Morris, and Mojo Hollowell

TOP 15 KY HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ALL-TIME

1) Dale Mueller(20 years)-Highlands, 250 wins, 14 State Championship appearances, 11 State Titles
2) Bob Beatty(13 year in KY/13 in Missouri)- Trinity, 165-21 win/loss record, 12 State Championship appearances, 10 State Titles, and a National Championship in 2011.
3) Sam Harp(32 years)- Danville, 326 wins, 10 State Championship appearances, 7 State Titles
4) Mike Glaser(31 years)- Saint Xavier, 336 wins, 11 State Championship appearances, 7 State Titles
5) Phillip Haywood(40 years)- Belfry, 388 wins, 9 state Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
6) Bob Schneider(44 years)- Newport Central Catholic, 345 wins, 9 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
7) Dudley Hilton(35 years), Bell County/Bourbon County, 345 wins, 3 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
8) Mike Yeagle-Beechwood, 181-27 win/loss record, 10 State Championship appearances, 8 State Titles
9) Joe Jaggers(33 years)- North Hardin/Fort Knox/Trigg County/Nelson County/Old KY Home, 292 wins, 6 State Championship Appearances, 5 State Titles
10) Jack Morris(24 years)- Mayfield, 254 wins, 9 State Championship appearances, 4 State Titles
11) Bob Redman(35 years)-Louisville Male/Durret/Waggener/Ballard, 317 wins, 6 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
12) Hillard Howard(25 years)-Pikeville/Letcher Central, 244 wins, 5 State Championship appearances, 3 State Titles
13) Lynn Ray(30 years)- Covington Catholic, 232 wins, 5 State Titles(undefeated in State Titles games).
14) Ivan McGlone(38 years)-Russell/Huntington Vinson, 316 wins in Ky/28 in WV, 3 State Championship appearances, 2 State Titles
15) Mike Holcomb(32 years) - Breathitt/Letcher Central, 285 wins, 4 state championship appearances, 3 state titles, 9 undefeated regular seasons, also the winning coach in one of, if not, the best championship game in 95' against Franklin-Simpson in double-overtime
44 years on one place! Schneider should of had over 400 wins by accident. Why was he there so long? You're telling me the admin couldn't find a credible replacement with the athletic types that NCC attracts? Seems to be more of a disservice to the program, jmo.
Hatz Wrote:Chuck Smith took the Rebels to five straight titles. Lost two games in those five years. (2002). The win streak was actually 47.

that's about as good as it gets.
Common mistake....Dudley Hilton actually has 349 wins. Also coached Breathitt County and Taylor County. We should also note, he is the only coach on the list (to my knowledge anyway) that served as the head football coach of a college program. He went 15-18 over a course of 3 years with the University of Pikeville.
Real Badman Wrote:Common mistake....Dudley Hilton actually has 349 wins. Also coached Breathitt County and Taylor County. We should also note, he is the only coach on the list (to my knowledge anyway) that served as the head football coach of a college program. He went 15-18 over a course of 3 years with the University of Pikeville.

perfect record in championship games?
Real Badman Wrote:Common mistake....Dudley Hilton actually has 349 wins. Also coached Breathitt County and Taylor County. We should also note, he is the only coach on the list (to my knowledge anyway) that served as the head football coach of a college program. He went 15-18 over a course of 3 years with the University of Pikeville.

Doesn't matter much he's not on a lot of lists, but I see Central's Ty Scroggins going to coach a college program eventually. Just my opinion.