Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Familiar face returns to 49th
OBI could be the real deal with the right man coaching. Any news?
walterwhite Wrote:OBI could be the real deal with the right man coaching. Any news?

I agree. Oneida was very good 70's and 80's. Larry Gritton won 400+ games at Oneida over a 20+ year stent. Oneida had some very good teams, a good Coach could do the same thing. Good Luck.
:Thumbs::Thumbs:
What were the best OBI teams of that era?
I remember the 77 team was the last to beat Clay in the first round of the district.
The 80 team with Ben Franklin, I think that was the year, was very explosive. I saw them lose something like 102-98 at Cawood when both Franklin and Cox had around 50.
The 83 team played in a great game against Evarts and Billy Hicks in the 83 tourney.

But even with all those good teams, wasn't one of the OBI teams in the early 90s the first to win a game in the regional in several years. I think Gritton played for that squad.
HCS Wrote:What were the best OBI teams of that era?
I remember the 77 team was the last to beat Clay in the first round of the district.
The 80 team with Ben Franklin, I think that was the year, was very explosive. I saw them lose something like 102-98 at Cawood when both Franklin and Cox had around 50.
The 83 team played in a great game against Evarts and Billy Hicks in the 83 tourney.

But even with all those good teams, wasn't one of the OBI teams in the early 90s the first to win a game in the regional in several years. I think Gritton played for that squad.

I played at Oneida 61-65 and Coached at Oneida 73-75. I've see most teams from 1961 Fwd. play except 67-68 I was in Vietnam. The 77 Team was the best, they beat Louis. Valley in the Snow Ball Classic that year and Valley was State Runner-up. They beat Clay 1st round of the Dist. that had not happened in 27 years (1960 Winston Kilgore team.) 1977 team was Roger Caldwell, Don Gray, David Mills, Franklin as a Fr. and several more who contributed. 1980 team was nice. A Couple of the teams Larry Allen played on was nice ( won All A Region once ) but the 1977 team was best, JMO :Thumbs:
The '77 team was the best that I saw from OBI. I agree whole-heartedly with Cellking.
Cellking Wrote:I played at Oneida 61-65 and Coached at Oneida 73-75. I've see most teams from 1961 Fwd. play except 67-68 I was in Vietnam. The 77 Team was the best, they beat Louis. Valley in the Snow Ball Classic that year and Valley was State Runner-up. They beat Clay 1st round of the Dist. that had not happened in 27 years (1960 Winston Kilgore team.) 1977 team was Roger Caldwell, Don Gray, David Mills, Franklin as a Fr. and several more who contributed. 1980 team was nice. A Couple of the teams Larry Allen played on was nice ( won All A Region once ) but the 1977 team was best, JMO :Thumbs:

Should have gotten Coach Larry Gritton back. Cellking what about you ?:Thumbs:
I remembered the 80 team but not 77 as far as actually seeing them play. Looked up the regional scores that year. OBI lost in the first round to Cumberland.
The first regional win for OBI during that time was in 91 with the younger Gritton as the star.
Was '91 the year they won the region All-A? I know Gritton Jr. was on the team that went, I remember watching them play I'm pretty sure in Rupp, not at EKU, in the All-A state. They also had a kid named Damon Tignor, we called him "The Fly" because he wore those huge-lensed goggles that made him look like what Jeff Goldblum turned into in "The Fly". Dude had some real talent, it just ran hot-and-cold.
HCS Wrote:What were the best OBI teams of that era?

Ai remember that 83 OBI team upsetting a very good Cawood team during the regular season. I don't honk the score was something ridiculous like 120-105.
Van Hagar Wrote:Was '91 the year they won the region All-A? I know Gritton Jr. was on the team that went, I remember watching them play I'm pretty sure in Rupp, not at EKU, in the All-A state. They also had a kid named Damon Tignor, we called him "The Fly" because he wore those huge-lensed goggles that made him look like what Jeff Goldblum turned into in "The Fly". Dude had some real talent, it just ran hot-and-cold.

Cumberland won the All A regional in 91 - they played at Memorial Coliseum
OBI won in 92 when Thomas was a freshman at Harlan. Harlan won the next four or five years.
The first round might have been at Rupp in 92. I think the rest of the tournament was at EKU.
Ok that's what it was. They did play an all-day, eight-game first round at Rupp before moving to EKU for the rest of the tournament, because I clearly remember sitting in Rupp for the OBI game.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Should have gotten Coach Larry Gritton back. Cellking what about you ?:Thumbs:

I love OBI, it was my pleasure to Play and Coach there. I miss Basketball but I also enjoy going to my Lake House about 4 days a week and travel in winter. I think they now have a Coach. Maybe in the future. Good Luck to them and their New Coach.
Cellking Wrote:I love OBI, it was my pleasure to Play and Coach there. I miss Basketball but I also enjoy going to my Lake House about 4 days a week and travel in winter. I think they now have a Coach. Maybe in the future. Good Luck to them and their New Coach.

Who got the OBI job ?
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Who got the OBI job ?

Edward Lowdenback
Strikeout King Wrote:Edward Lowdenback

Does anyone remember the Lowdenback team at Jackson City in the 90's that ran up the score on some team and scored like 215 points?

It will be an interesting season for OBI, but definitely not building for the future with this hire.
Strikeout King Wrote:Edward Lowdenback

Don't know anything about Him. I'm sure Larry Allen had his reasons for the hire. Good Luck.:Cheerlead
PapaSparks Wrote:Does anyone remember the Lowdenback team at Jackson City in the 90's that ran up the score on some team and scored like 215 points?

It will be an interesting season for OBI, but definitely not building for the future with this hire.
Yes, Woodbridge Academy was the team. Unbelievable that anyone would treat kids that way. I think Cordia beat them by 20 plus in the 55th district tournament that year 1993. If it is the same guy not sure why OBI would want to be associated with him.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Yes, Woodbridge Academy was the team. Unbelievable that anyone would treat kids that way. I think Cordia beat them by 20 plus in the 55th district tournament that year 1993. If it is the same guy not sure why OBI would want to be associated with him.

If true, he will get his because it will come back around. I don't understand why Oneida would hire someone like that. :dontthink:dontthink:dontthink:dontthink
Cellking Wrote:If true, he will get his because it will come back around. I don't understand why Oneida would hire someone like that. :dontthink:dontthink:dontthink:dontthink

I may be wrong but Oneida has several Alum who played and Coached there, why not reach out to one of them ????:Sad04:
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:I may be wrong but Oneida has several Alum who played and Coached there, why not reach out to one of them ????:Sad04:
Winston Kilgore, Glynn Davidson, Clinton Gay and Harvey Travis all played at Oneida and Coached High School Basketball. I'm sure there were others.
Cellking Wrote:Winston Kilgore, Glynn Davidson, Clinton Gay and Harvey Travis all played at Oneida and Coached High School Basketball. I'm sure there were others.

Harvey has been on the staff at Clay County for the past several years. Does a good job and is a great guy.
walterwhite Wrote:Harvey has been on the staff at Clay County for the past several years. Does a good job and is a great guy.

I like Harvey, always thought he did a good job. Winston Kilgore was a All American at LMU and Coached at Oneida for a while. Clinton Gay Coached at Oneida, Pine Knot, Powell and Leslie Co. Any of them would have done a good job at OBI.
I don't know if anyone since Gritton has done a better job at OBI than the coach that was there the last few years. What happened to coach Robinson?