Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick Douglass High Stallions
papagrit Wrote:It's going to be interesting in seeing how this football team forms up. Starting, right of the bat, at the 6A level with the big dogs. It will also be interesting to see how this new school affects the performance of the other local Lexington high schools such as Bryan Station which is relatively nearby.
I have this question about their new Athletic Director. Maybe someone from the northeast part of the state could give me an answer. Not being smart about anything at all as this is a genuine question. Was this Garry McPeek involved when Fairview got into trouble with the KHSAA? Am I crossing wires with Fairview and Rose Hill? The Fairview mention in the article made the name McPeek stick out in my mind for being fired or some sort of involvement. Thanks for the explanation in advance.
The article is quoted below from the Herald Leader....

About 50 individuals applied for the job, Douglass Athletic Director Garry McPeek said. McPeek, a former athletic director at Fairview High School who most recently served as Lafayette’s offensive line coach, interviewed 13 people for the position, and it was Landis’ relationship-first mentality that made him stand out as a person and football coach.

It amazes me how a school like this could pick anyone with any tarnishes on their record.

YOU KNOW the pool of applicants was huge. You cant tell me their wasn't a more qualified person who hadn't been in trouble that applied for that job.

Just wow.
One thing I've learned with the Fayette County school system is most of the time your hires come from the "buddy system." That's why they'll always have 2nd tier programs.
The Fayette County state football championships.

2009: 1A; Lexington Christian
2007: 4A; Lexington Catholic
2005: 3A; Lexington Catholic
1981: 4A; Henry Clay
1972: 2A; Tates Creek

http://khsaa.org/handbook/winners/fbwinners.pdf
I used this list ^^^^^
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Wildcat18 Wrote:One thing I've learned with the Fayette County school system is most of the time your hires come from the "buddy system." That's why they'll always have 2nd tier programs.
2nd tier in reference to what other programs? Because Lexington Catholic has won several district, regional and state championship and same goes for Lafayette (lately) they have been winning. Just curious to see/ hear whom you comparing Fayette program to.
FBfan4life Wrote:2nd tier in reference to what other programs? Because Lexington Catholic has won several district, regional and state championship and same goes for Lafayette (lately) they have been winning. Just curious to see/ hear whom you comparing Fayette program to.

I said the Fayette County School System. That does not include Lexington Catholic & LCA. A school system of that magnitude should have no problems producing consistent state champion quality athletic programs.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Fayette County state football championships.

I used this list ^^^^^

So this means that in the history of Fayette county football they have won a total of two championship and one of those was a small school championship. Like I said before, there is more than enough talent in Fayette county to compete with the big three in Louisville. It just has to be consolidated. That being said, if the KHSAA ever had a private school championship, then male, a Fayette county school, or Scott county would win most of the 6A championships.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:So this means that in the history of Fayette county football they have won a total of two championship and one of those was a small school championship. Like I said before, there is more than enough talent in Fayette county to compete with the big three in Louisville. It just has to be consolidated. That being said, if the KHSAA ever had a private school championship, then male, a Fayette county school, or Scott county would win most of the 6A championships.

So you want to see a consolidation of 1A co-ed small private schools play teams like a private all boys 6A schools? Should we also place all independence schools together in one class and let them have their own league and championship too??
Bryan Station won AA in 1971.
FBfan4life Wrote:So you want to see a consolidation of 1A co-ed small private schools play teams like a private all boys 6A schools? Should we also place all independence schools together in one class and let them have their own league and championship too??

Oh not at all, I'm in favor of leaving it the way it is now. All I was saying is that in order for Lexington publics to compete For 6a titles, trinity and X would have to be out of the picture. Just for arguments sake though, privates CHOOSE their enrollment size. If they wanted to bump up to compete, they could. It just takes less effort for certain schools to compete at the 2a or 3a level.
Best of luck to the new coach.
The real question that needs to answered by FCPS is why can Scott county win(2013) and we can't?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Fayette County state football championships.

I used this list ^^^^^

Fly By Night Wrote:Bryan Station won AA in 1971.

You are correct.

1971: 2A; Bryan Station
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Any word on who has been named as assistants for Coach Landis?
Wildcat18 Wrote:Any word on who has been named as assistants for Coach Landis?

Pretty sure he has an entire staff in place, or close to it. Nate McPeek is the OC.
JuniorVarsityBlues Wrote:Pretty sure he has an entire staff in place, or close to it. Nate McPeek is the OC.

I would bet the house the OC hire was made before the head coach. I could have told you that 6 months ago.
Nate is a tremendous coach and a super person. Trust me when I say him and Garry McPeek stayed loyal and took the fall for everyone(Fairview). I will say that Nate is a home run hire. It will be exciting to see the product that they put on the field. I'm going to leave it at this, Nate is the type of PERSON and COACH you want your kids to play for.
GOAT#4 Wrote:Nate is a tremendous coach and a super person. Trust me when I say him and Garry McPeek stayed loyal and took the fall for everyone(Fairview). I will say that Nate is a home run hire. It will be exciting to see the product that they put on the field. I'm going to leave it at this, Nate is the type of PERSON and COACH you want your kids to play for.

No one said he wasn't a tremendous coach or person.

This scenario is why the Fayette County Schools athletic programs will never succeed. Politics. Do you know why they didn't hire him to be the head coach to begin with? One word: Baggage. I'm going to make a prediction that Coach Landis won't be there long and it won't be his choice. Remember I said that 2 or 3 years from now.
Wildcat18 Wrote:No one said he wasn't a tremendous coach or person.

This scenario is why the Fayette County Schools athletic programs will never succeed. Politics. Do you know why they didn't hire him to be the head coach to begin with? One word: Baggage. I'm going to make a prediction that Coach Landis won't be there long and it won't be his choice. Remember I said that 2 or 3 years from now.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the reason he wasn't hired as the HC is actually nepotism.
JuniorVarsityBlues Wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but I think the reason he wasn't hired as the HC is actually nepotism.

The entire hiring process of the head coach was based on the OC. There is zero doubt now.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Nepotism is exactly why he is the OC right now. No one else would give him the opportunity. Been searching for that opportunity for years and the door hasn't opened because no one wanted to take that risk. All of a sudden a relative is an AD and that door is now open.
Wildcat18 Wrote:The entire hiring process of the head coach was based on the OC. There is zero doubt now.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Nepotism is exactly why he is the OC right now. No one else would give him the opportunity. Been searching for that opportunity for years and the door hasn't opened because no one wanted to take that risk. All of a sudden a relative is an AD and that door is now open.

He was offered by Bell County and Shelby Valley last year. This year he was offered by Boyd County, but they couldn't match the pay he was making in Fayette County. He'd been contacted by some other places as well.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:He was offered by Bell County and Shelby Valley last year. This year he was offered by Boyd County, but they couldn't match the pay he was making in Fayette County. He'd been contacted by some other places as well.

I shouldn't have said no one, but obviously there are desperate programs around the state. None of those are ideal situations for someone who is supposed to be proven. I'm not sure I believe he had been contacted by others. I would believe he had contacted other schools, but not the other way around. I know his folks have inserted his name with many, many job openings around the state. Interviewing for a few, not getting most. There are many out there not willing to take the chance with what he brings to the table. The stain will be hard to rub off.

I stand by my previous comment. Politics prevail. We'll see how it ends for FDHS & Coach Landis.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I shouldn't have said no one, but obviously there are desperate programs around the state. None of those are ideal situations for someone who is supposed to be proven. I'm not sure I believe he had been contacted by others. I would believe he had contacted other schools, but not the other way around. I know his folks have inserted his name with many, many job openings around the state. Interviewing for a few, not getting most. There are many out there not willing to take the chance with what he brings to the table. The stain will be hard to rub off.

I stand by my previous comment. Politics prevail. We'll see how it ends for FDHS & Coach Landis.

That's any coach connected to something that went down...high school or college.....guilty or not. Bruce Pearl is a much better coach than to be at Auburn right now- very proven in his time at UWGB & most notably Tennessee, but given what he was actually found GUILTY of while at Tennessee...it's the best possible place for him to rebound.

Also...Bell County in their current situation, Boyd and Shelby Valley are about like 80% of the programs that make up our state as is.