Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 Fouls for High School?
I think this would ease a lot of pressure off refs ,coaches , players, and fans. Lets face it most players today are called for probably 2 phantom fouls per game. Pick up 2 in first half and then they sit til 3rd qtr. really becomes tense when your star player gets in this pickle. What yall think?
NO
Gunslinger Wrote:I think this would ease a lot of pressure off refs ,coaches , players, and fans. Lets face it most players today are called for probably 2 phantom fouls per game. Pick up 2 in first half and then they sit til 3rd qtr. really becomes tense when your star player gets in this pickle. What yall think?

if the refs do there job right, there should only be 2 or 3 phantom fouls for the season, not a game.
I love the idea for high school and college. But then again, I would love to see shot clocks brought into high school. Make it a 30 second clock like college and do away with the 5 second call. Would make the refs job a little easier by having one less thing to concentrate on.
NO
Six fouls is too many for the amount of time these kids play.
I floated this idea out a few years ago and you would have thought I was endorsing Obama for President or something. It makes perfect sense to me, for high school and college. This way you wouldn't have to worry about sitting a player with two fouls in the first half. I want to see the best players on the floor. Can you imagine in football if a guy was only allowed x number of penalties in a game? People would lose their minds. Developing a bench is great, in all sports, but basketball is the only one I know where the best players might not be on the court at the end, not by their own coaches decisions, but by the decisions of the officials during the game.
Van Hagar Wrote:I floated this idea out a few years ago and you would have thought I was endorsing Obama for President or something. It makes perfect sense to me, for high school and college. This way you wouldn't have to worry about sitting a player with two fouls in the first half. I want to see the best players on the floor. Can you imagine in football if a guy was only allowed x number of penalties in a game? People would lose their minds. Developing a bench is great, in all sports, but basketball is the only one I know where the best players might not be on the court at the end, not by their own coaches decisions, but by the decisions of the officials during the game.
Guess it has nothing to do with how the players play, maybe they might not want to be so aggressive on defense after they get the first one or try not put their head down and run over someone on offense. Always about the officials, kids never foul, always that poor referee made it up. :lame:
5 fouls for 32 minutes of regulation play is more than enough.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Players can't play defense today, why give them a greater opportunity to be even worse.
When I coached my players were always aggressive and we always pressed up and down the floor, but my players knew that after they got that first foul called on them, they needed to back it down a little, but still play good defense just without fouling. If kids are taught to play defense the right way, all of these games with 50+ fouls would not even exist. You even see them at the college level on tv every night. Kids just don't know how to play defense without fouling.
If the argument is you want to see the best players on the floor...
then let's just get rid of foul-outs in general.
1st qtr. - 2 fouls; You sit the rest of the qtr.

2nd qtr. - 3 fouls; You sit the rest of the half.

3rd qtr. - 4 fouls; You sit the rest of the qtr.

4th qtr. - 5 fouls; You have to sit out two minutes of game action. Each foul after that means you have to sit out an additional minute of game action. 5 fouls also means you would have to sit out the first 2 minutes of any and all Overtime sessions.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:1st qtr. - 2 fouls; You sit the rest of the qtr.

4th qtr. - 5 fouls; You have to sit out two minutes of game action. Each foul after that means you have to sit out an additional minute of game action. 5 fouls also means you would have to sit out the first 2 minutes of any and all Overtime sessions.
Seriously? :lmao: That is just crazy! Let's just do it like hockey, if you foul you sit for 2 minutes. If it's a hard foul you get 4 minutes.:biglmao:
zaga_fan Wrote:If the argument is you want to see the best players on the floor...
then let's just get rid of foul-outs in general.

Actually I would be perfectly fine with that. The best players, in their coaches opinions, play in baseball, football, etc. Don't know why basketball should be different.
Van Hagar Wrote:Actually I would be perfectly fine with that. The best players, in their coaches opinions, play in baseball, football, etc. Don't know why basketball should be different.

In football the point is to physically use your body to prevent the other team from scoring. In basketball, that is considered a foul.

If there were no fouls, no one would ever score.
If you were allowed unlimited fouls, the game would be reduced to a free throw shooting competition.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:1st qtr. - 2 fouls; You sit the rest of the qtr.

mountain hoops guru Wrote:Seriously? :lmao: That is just crazy! Let's just do it like hockey, if you foul you sit for 2 minutes. If it's a hard foul you get 4 minutes.:biglmao:

Having to sit out game action can be a great deterrent for high school kids.

Imagine your Stud player having to sit out two minutes of game action in the regional champion game by getting their 5th foul. For me, that would be worse than actually fouling out of the game.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:When I coached my players were always aggressive and we always pressed up and down the floor, but my players knew that after they got that first foul called on them, they needed to back it down a little, but still play good defense just without fouling. If kids are taught to play defense the right way, all of these games with 50+ fouls would not even exist. You even see them at the college level on tv every night. Kids just don't know how to play defense without fouling.

I agree with you, however it used to be, when an offensive player initiated contact it was a play on , whereas today it is a foul on the defense.

So today as a defensive player, they have two options #1 stand their ground, let the offensive player run into them resulting in a foul and thus foul trouble, or #2 get out of the way and avoid getting a foul and avoiding foul trouble, but drawing the ire of their coach.
zaga_fan Wrote:In football the point is to physically use your body to prevent the other team from scoring. In basketball, that is considered a foul.

If there were no fouls, no one would ever score.
If you were allowed unlimited fouls, the game would be reduced to a free throw shooting competition.

Understood, and I appreciate your stance, but I didn't say no fouls, I just said I would be fine with a no foul-out rule of some kind. Maybe even say any foul on a player that exceeds five is two shots and possession for the offensive team, then let the coach decide if it's worth it to leave him on the floor. But give him that option. And I agree on your point about foul-shooting exhibitions, which is why that needs tweaked as well. I mean like the UK-Mississippi State game earlier this year, what did everyone complain about later? Too many fouls, too many free throws. The seven fouls and you're in the bonus needs to be done away with if you are going to let fouls accumulate over an entire half. Go to at least 10 before you shoot any free throws. The women's college game has gone to five per quarter now, and it seems to have been a positive change.
cj2561 Wrote:if the refs do there job right, there should only be 2 or 3 phantom fouls for the season, not a game.

The games i have seen there are terrible calls on MULTIPLE occasions. Usually BOTH ways . To say 2or 3 for the season is living in a fantasy world , nothing personal , IMO only
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Having to sit out game action can be a great deterrent for high school kids.

Imagine your Stud player having to sit out two minutes of game action in the regional champion game by getting their 5th foul. For me, that would be worse than actually fouling out of the game.

if that is a rule. I would have the max number of fouls per game. in my playing days. I fouls out in less then 10 games from 4th grade all the way up tp high school. but I have 4 fouls in almost every game. all of yall that think there should be 6 fouls in high school, are just crazy. high school basketball game is 32 mins. if a kid can't play 32 mins without fouling 5 time. they don't need to be in the game.
Gunslinger Wrote:The games i have seen there are terrible calls on MULTIPLE occasions. Usually BOTH ways . To say 2or 3 for the season is living in a fantasy world , nothing personal , IMO only

I said phantom fouls, that is when someone else on your team foul someone. and the refs call it on you. the kind of foul you talking about, is you might not think it was a foul, but the ref did think it was. so you call it a terrible call.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:5 fouls for 32 minutes of regulation play is more than enough.

Agree with you
Nba plays 48 min to have 6 fouls
College 40 min for 5 fouls
HS 32 min for 5
Keep it the way it is
no, there are the phantom foul refs that pull fouls out of nowhere. But for those that do a good job, 6 is too many for HS for the length and what should be the physicality of the game.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Having to sit out game action can be a great deterrent for high school kids.

How is he being able to return after 2 min worse then not being able to return at all?
6 is to many for 32 mins. A shot clock would make it interesting but teams that couldn't shoot it would take away any chance for a win as they couldn't hold it and shorten the game. Womens college wipes all team fouls off at end of quarter so you only shoot bonus after 5 in the quarter. That wound be a great addition to high school and men's college
What about if the players do their jobs right? Refs do miss calls but players commit stupid fouls too!
stripedofficial Wrote:How is he being able to return after 2 min worse then not being able to return at all?

Seeing your team loose a lead or late in the 4th, while you're on the bench... knowing you are able to go back in as opposed to knowing that you are out for the rest of the game would eat me alive.
Five should be enough for a high school game.