Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
54th District - The Cantrall Battle
With the 54th District seeded according the Dave Cantrall's ratings in the Lexington Herald, it looks like it will come down to the wire. Currently Hazard is 1st with a rating of 69.3, with Perry Central trailing by only 0.4 points at 68.9. Leslie County is a close 3rd at 66.1. In head to head competition, only Leslie County and Hazard have played each other, with Leslie winning both games by 5 and 6 points respectively.

Record
Hazard - (11-5)
Perry Central - (10-6)
Leslie County - (16-3)

Strength of Schedule
Hazard has played 5 teams rated above 75.0, 4 of which are in the top 25. Hazard defeated Scott (80.7) 66-65 and Cooper (77.2) 88-59. They lost to Scott County (85.0) 48-69, Highlands (79.7) 35-51, and Eastern (81.2) 47-68.
Perry Central has played 3 teams rated above 75.0, 2 of which are in the top 25. Perry Central lost to Southwestern (77.0) 40-69, Scott County (85.0) 62-80, and Ryle (82.5) 57-73.
Leslie County has played 1 team rated above 75.0 who was in the top 25. Leslie County lost to South Laurel (80.2) 54-77.

Quality Wins (Teams rated at 60.0 and above)
Hazard - Johnson Central (62.7), Clay County (63.1), Scott (80.7), Cooper (77.2)
Perry Central - North Bullitt (70.6)
Leslie County - Hazard (69.3), North Laurel (70.0), Knott County Central (63.7), Hazard (69.3)

Bad Losses (Teams Rated Lower)
Hazard - Leslie County (66.1), Leslie County (66.1)
Perry County Central - Pikeville (67.7)
Leslie County - Letcher Central (53.7), Lee County (55.5)

Record vs. Ratings
Hazard - (8-7)
Perry Central - (6-7)
Leslie County - (12-7)
thought they used the Litratings?
It is the LitRatings, this is what they were, haven't seen an updated rating.

14TH REGION

Hazard, 92.0
Perry Central, 88.0
Leslie County, 83.1
Knott Central, 79.7
Owsley County, 74.3
Powell County, 72.1
Estill County, 68.0
Lee County, 67.5
Letcher Central, 67.2
Wolfe County, 58.7
Buckhorn, 52.0
Breathitt County, 43.2
Jackson City, 35.6
June Buchanan, 28.5
Riverside Christian, 16.1
Cordia, 11.9
ive got a question. this week perry lost 2 games by almost 20 points each and hazard wins by almost 20 on the road against knox and perry still moved closer in the ratings. how is that possible?
hitter Wrote:ive got a question. this week perry lost 2 games by almost 20 points each and hazard wins by almost 20 on the road against knox and perry still moved closer in the ratings. how is that possible?
All depends on where the teams are rated that you are playing. If you play teams in the top of the rankings and lose, it doesn't hurt you as much as playing a very weak team in the ratings and win. That is why Hazard tried to beat Betsy Layne by as many as they could last night. Betsy Layne is ranked in the 30's or 40's, so if they didn't beat them pretty bad, Perry would of taken over the top spot in the region. Perry plays Lee coming up, so they will need to beat them by 20+ to keep that win from hurting them also. Because Lee is also ranked very low in the Cantrell rankings.
This is the most ridiculous system for seeding imaginable . Basically , it dictates teams in this district to run up score on inferior opponents so as to improve a rating . Given how much weaker Buckhorn is than the other schools, the stakes are too high not to be tempted to score as many points as possible . I’m not a fan of seeding anyway but to seed that way hurts a lot a kids both on the weaker teams they play AND the reserves on teams in the 54th.. Come on guys.
The 14th girls are not very strong outside the region. But is stronger thaan the boys. Right now I rate Leslie 1 Hazard 2 Perry 3 and Buckhorn 4. Now it a long time till Feb 19th when they all meet up at Hazard. They seed by the cantrell ratings as of Feb 5th. I dont see Perry losing another game in the Regular season. Hazard may lose 1 or 2 Leslie maybe 1 or 2.
I understand how it works but perry lost twice bad and hazard won by almost 20 so its unimaginable to me that they would move closer in the ratings
This is an absolutely STUPID system. Thank God we are not using it. Who is to say that the losses you might take from other teams outside the 14th are beating you as bad as they can or substituting a lot late in the game. Why would you ever put a coach in a position to beat an opponent who has much less talent as bad as you can beat them. RIDICULOUS !! WHAT IF---- one of the other teams from outside the 14th had a key player hurt or sick? There are so many factors that can't be calculated in.
I didn't know the district did this. I agree with SportsFan00. This is stupid but better than a blind draw.
Play home and away and seed based on those games. Leslie has beat Hazard twice and has lost to no other district teams. It would be ludicrous for them not to be seeded over Hazard.
I understand what your saying e army but they have had some bad losses. hazard hasn't had any bad losses except if u consider leslie county a bad loss and hazard has played a lot tougher schedule and beat 2 teams in the top 25. leslie has played one and got drilled. but I also hate this system too
Explorer Wrote:I didn't know the district did this. I agree with SportsFan00. This is stupid but better than a blind draw.

I don’t see how. What about those weaker teams who have hazard Perry or Leslie scheduled late in the year? 1/10 of a point couldn’t decide if they play Buckhorn or not to advance to the regional tournament. If I were coaching one of those three teams would be tempted to score as much as possible . I can’t see how that is good for anyone.
Patriot train Wrote:All depends on where the teams are rated that you are playing. If you play teams in the top of the rankings and lose, it doesn't hurt you as much as playing a very weak team in the ratings and win. That is why Hazard tried to beat Betsy Layne by as many as they could last night. Betsy Layne is ranked in the 30's or 40's, so if they didn't beat them pretty bad, Perry would of taken over the top spot in the region. Perry plays Lee coming up, so they will need to beat them by 20+ to keep that win from hurting them also. Because Lee is also ranked very low in the Cantrell rankings.
Hazard played everybody on there bench. They played lee county a couple days ago and coins have beat them by at least 50 points but the hazard coach played bench players almost the entire 4th quarter. You can't tell your players to quit playing and he played everybody.
Does Cantrell take into account if a teams best player is out or is it strictly who you play and their ranking no matter the circumstances? Seems like there is so many factors to take into account not sure how he does it..
I've been watching high school basketball for a long time. I like to think, like most of us on here, that I know a little about this game. You CAN NOT get a more accurate rating among teams than having them play each other head to head. I don't care how you paint it, figure it, draw it, or try to justify it. It is what it is. Leslie beat Hazard twice. Once on your home court and once at a neutral site. Neither of you have played near the schedule that Perry has played. Anybody that can see CLEARLY, without all the smoke, knows the order of this district should be PERRY #1 (Leslie #2) (Hazard #3) and (Buckhorn#4)
In my estimation, Hazard played the toughest schedule of the 3. I agree that head to head is the best way to rank and seed. Unfortunately, the Perry County schools will not do it.
Require each team to play a home and away with the other teams in their district. If they refuse, then they forfeit their opportunity to play in the post season. It will end all of this 54th drama.
Patriot train Wrote:All depends on where the teams are rated that you are playing. If you play teams in the top of the rankings and lose, it doesn't hurt you as much as playing a very weak team in the ratings and win. That is why Hazard tried to beat Betsy Layne by as many as they could last night. Betsy Layne is ranked in the 30's or 40's, so if they didn't beat them pretty bad, Perry would of taken over the top spot in the region. Perry plays Lee coming up, so they will need to beat them by 20+ to keep that win from hurting them also. Because Lee is also ranked very low in the Cantrell rankings.

i am with you. it shouldn't matter what the other team is rank, a 20 point lose, is still a 20 point lose. they she drop some, not gain some. a 20 point lose to riverside, the team should drop 1o plus points in the ranks.
Inside-Out Wrote:I've been watching high school basketball for a long time. I like to think, like most of us on here, that I know a little about this game. You CAN NOT get a more accurate rating among teams than having them play each other head to head. I don't care how you paint it, figure it, draw it, or try to justify it. It is what it is. Leslie beat Hazard twice. Once on your home court and once at a neutral site. Neither of you have played near the schedule that Perry has played. Anybody that can see CLEARLY, without all the smoke, knows the order of this district should be PERRY #1 (Leslie #2) (Hazard #3) and (Buckhorn#4)

How do you figure perry has played the toughest schedule? Perry played 2 top 25 teams and got beat bad both games. Hazard has played 4 top 25 teams and went 2-2. So I'm anxious to hear your response
I'm still waiting on how you think perry has played the toughest schedule?
hitter Wrote:Hazard played everybody on there bench. They played lee county a couple days ago and coins have beat them by at least 50 points but the hazard coach played bench players almost the entire 4th quarter. You can't tell your players to quit playing and he played everybody.
Was Kash still out at that time for Lee? She had an ankle sprain and missed a few games. She is 4th in the state in scoring at 27 ppg. If she’s not in the lineup for Lee it severely affects them.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Was Kash still out at that time for Lee? She had an ankle sprain and missed a few games. She is 4th in the state in scoring at 27 ppg. If she’s not in the lineup for Lee it severely affects them.

She did not play against Hazard
She didn't play which would have obviously made a huge difference but hazard could have beat them 50. I know that doesn't matter without her
The last time I went to a 54th District meeting where this was voted on it was unanimous. Evidently, this is what the coaches want; at least as of two or three years ago.
Hazard be lucky to beat Lee with Cash playing sure wouldnt beat them 50. Be lucky to score 50.
I said they could have beat them by 50 when they played them and cash was out. Read other posts first and then comment
Beat them 50 without her? Doubt it very seriously. Read that!
Home and away. Seed based on record. Makes sense to most people.
I was there. Were you? Hazard was up over 30 and let subs play most of the 4th quarter