Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man Dies From Eating Squirrel Brains
This happen in 2015, but I find it interesting.

A man in New York developed an extremely rare and fatal brain disorder after he ate squirrel brains, according to a new report of the man's case.

In 2015, the 61-year-old man was brought to a hospital in Rochester, New York, after experiencing a decline in his thinking abilities and losing touch with reality, the report said. The man had also lost the ability to walk on his own.

An MRI of the man's head revealed a striking finding: The brain scan looked similar to those seen in people with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), a fatal brain condition caused by infectious proteins called prions. Only a few hundred cases of vCJD have ever been reported, and most were tied to consumption of contaminated beef in the United Kingdom in the 1980s and 1990s. (In cows, vCJD is commonly called "mad cow disease.")

https://www.foxnews.com/health/man-dies-...jVGWkL9taJ
I have never prepared squirrel but I have eaten it before. I've never eaten brains from any animal.
Granny Bear Wrote:I have never prepared squirrel but I have eaten it before. I've never eaten brains from any animal.

Before my dad retired, he always saved up vacation time for squirrel season. Whenever I got home from school, he would be skinning squirrels or already have squirrels and gravy and biscuits made. I always ate it, but never really cared a lot for it. He never cooked the brains though. I know a family that used to eat pig brains. I guess in the past, especially in this part of Appalachian, families ate every part of the animal because food, especially protein, was hard to come by.