Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut blocking out of shotgun
You can't cut if you are in the gun. Period. The rule that applies here is 2-17-4. It reads "The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive linemen to block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone". 

The only ways it would be legal to cut while in the gun are as follows:
1- If your QB is within 3 yards of the center (free blocking zone is 4 yards wide of center and 3 yards deep of center each way). If he is deeper than 3 yards the ball is leaving the free blocking zone, which then disintegrates it.

2- if your linemen are Usain Bolt and can cut block in the milliseconds it takes for the ball to leave the free blocking zone via shotgun snap.

3- your center snaps the ball at an incredibly slow speed.

Why are referees finding this so hard to interpret?
Because its legal to cut if its the first movement the lineman makes. It is possible to initiate your cut before the ball leaves the zone and they have been trained this way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iam4thecats's post:
  • Hound05
I always assumed the rule was cutting at the line of scrimmage was legal as long as you didn't "show your numbers" aka feint a drive block then try to cut.
I don’t know if the refs interpret it that way. But I’m not saying one way or another. But I’ve never seen it called, chop blocks are called some but not as often as it happens. I watched a whole Boyle county line cut block at once on a screen play out of the shotgun. So that’s why I say they might not interpret it that way.

My problem is the block in the back in that zone. It’s been called several times on us and it is the WRONG call!!

But refs have a hard job, so I’m not gonna hate on them. Having the extra one out there now gives them better eyes on things. But my main gripe is we have a 4 star WR who gets held 50% of the time and it’s never called!!
(10-29-2020, 07:32 PM)Hound05 Wrote: I don’t know if the refs interpret it that way. But I’m not saying one way or another. But I’ve never seen it called, chop blocks are called some but not as often as it happens.  I watched a whole Boyle county line cut block at once on a screen play out of the shotgun. So that’s why I say they might not interpret it that way.

My problem is the block in the back in that zone. It’s been called several times on us and it is the WRONG call!!

But refs have a hard job, so I’m not gonna hate on them. Having the extra one out there now gives them better eyes on things. But my main gripe is we have a 4 star WR who gets held 50% of the time and it’s never called!!

Sorry, you have to have 5 stars to get that call...so close lol
(10-29-2020, 10:00 PM)Tigerallamerican Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 07:32 PM)Hound05 Wrote: I don’t know if the refs interpret it that way. But I’m not saying one way or another. But I’ve never seen it called, chop blocks are called some but not as often as it happens.  I watched a whole Boyle county line cut block at once on a screen play out of the shotgun. So that’s why I say they might not interpret it that way.

Sorry, you have to have 5 stars to get that call...so close lol
Hahaha. Well that has to be the one answer!! Maybe we when we get refs from a different region we might get some calls. But even outside of him, you don’t see a lot of holding calls on the DBs in HS. I’d tell my DBs to do it every play if they think they are gonna get beat. 15 is better than 6 in this case
I'm glad I've heard some of the things that have been said. Because it is the same rhetoric that refs have been telling me throughout the years. One thing I want to point out is the NFHS rule on cut blocking in the free blocking zone is written correctly. As I've previously posted the rule says the free blocking zone (fbz) only exists when the ball is in the fbz. Once the ball leaves the zone DISINTEGRATES. That is the rule. The rhetoric I hear is "if the cut is immediate" or "if it is the initial motion" then it is legal. There is nothing in the rule book that says that intrepetation. That is the state rules officials making a black and white area very gray. When the center snaps the ball, it takes approximate .2 of a second to travel 3 yards. That is a generous estimate. A cut block is a contact foul. Meaning that it is not a foul until you make contact. Just like if you attempt to cut someone on kickoff and miss, that's not a penalty. Or you attempt to block someone in the back on a punt return and miss, that's not a penalty. Therefore a cut block, is not an illegal cut block until you make contact. So the "immediate" or "initial" contact that so many have erroneusly interpreted CANNOT in any way humanly possible occur until the ball has left the fbz. The rule interpreters need to get this clarified because it is a competitive advantage to be able to cut out of gun and that is the purpose of penalties. To keep the game fair. The easiest way, and the way the NFHS rule should be interpreted, is that if you are in gun you can't cut.
A. I guess you need to take your case to Julian and see where that gets you.
B. Cutting in the gun isn't an unfair advantage. Cut blocking is a tool that has strengths and weaknesses. You should coach up your staff and kids on what the weakness is.
(10-30-2020, 11:34 AM)Iam4thecats Wrote: A. I guess you need to take your case to Julian and see where that gets you.
B. Cutting in the gun isn't an unfair advantage. Cut blocking is a tool that has strengths and weaknesses. You should coach up your staff and kids on what the weakness is.
brilliant response.  You can't argue what the rule says so you make a feeble attempt at a personal attack.

I would ask you a couple questions:

A: Is your interpretation based on someone's else's interpretation of the rule or what the rule actually says?
B: Is it important for your team to continue to cut? We don't cut but we may start.
You can cut anyone if you are in a 3pt stance in the tackle box.
(10-30-2020, 02:03 PM)Real Badman Wrote: You can cut anyone if you are in a 3pt stance in the tackle box.
Can you quote that from the federation rule book?  You can't because that statement doesn't exist.  The phrase "tackle box" doesn't exist either in the NFHS rulebook.  It's called the "free blocking zone" and it extends four yards on either side of the ball and 3 yards in front of and behind the LOS.  If it was the "tackle box" then TEs would not EVER be able to cut.  But they let them now as long as they have 1 foot in the FBZ.  

Bottom line, we all need education on what the RULE says and not some random talking points that people spew that are actually contradictory to what the RULE says!!!!
You should probably buy the NFHS Case Book and look at 2.17.2 Situation E. The case book delves into the rules substantially further and makes a big difference in these sort of things. Bottom line is at every level of the game it is legal as long as it is the lineman's immediate first move and everyone from the top will tell you that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • Iam4thecats
(10-30-2020, 02:12 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: You should probably buy the NFHS Case Book and look at 2.17.2 Situation E. The case book delves into the rules substantially further and makes a big difference in these sort of things. Bottom line is at every level of the game it is legal as long as it is the lineman's immediate first move and everyone from the top will tell you that.
That case is so much of the problem with the interpretation.  "Immediately"?  What is immediately?  Doing a belly flop on the snap?  Cause that is the only way it could be immediate.  If an offensive lineman takes one step, that shouldn't be immediate.  Still doesn't change the fact that when the cut blocks impact the defender the ball is clearly out of the FBZ.  Show me one on film that this  isn't the case. 

Good input though.  I actually appreciate someone that shows me a more concrete interpretation from the case book than just what the heard!
I'm sorry the NFHS casebook explanation is hurting your feelings.
(10-30-2020, 02:50 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: I'm sorry the NFHS casebook explanation is hurting your feelings.
I'm sorry the NFHS rulebook hurts yours.