Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fayette County Schools pause winter sports due to COVID-19
https://www.wkyt.com/2020/11/15/fayette-...-covid-19/

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Fayette County Public Schools announced Sunday it is pausing all athletics and extra-curricular activities effective immediately.  The only exception is the six high school football teams competing in the playoffs next week. All other sports must cancel all workouts, practices and games.  Administrators said they cannot ignore skyrocketing COVID-19 cases in the region.
Superintendent Manny Caulk said this isn’t related to any outbreaks. He says coaches, advisors and students have been following safety protocols.
“Their vigilance has allowed us to practice, play and offer student activities for as long as we have,” Caulk said. “We have not seen any transmission on teams; the athletes and coaches who have tested positive have all been from community transmission.”

District leaders will reevaluate the decision and whether to resume student activities after Thanksgiving break.

Dunbar, Lafayette, Bryan Station, Henry Clay & Tates Creek really don't have a shot of winning 6A.
Douglass does have a chance to win 5A though.

IMO..... This is probably gonna happen in other counties, if not mandated by the state/KHSAA within the next few days.... postpone the start of winter sports and then re-evaluate after the Christmas/New Years day break.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I'll be shocked if the KHSAA and Governor doesn't shut it all down again this week, we're pretty lucky to have gotten to have any season at all. How can KHSAA have playoffs with whole geographic locations calling games off? It'll ruin the integrity of the whole system and isn't fair to teams that are affected no way should KHSAA allow a team to win a state championship with teams forced out of the competition by politicians.
Besides football, all Fall sports (Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Field Hockey & Volleyball) have finished their seasons and crowned state champions.

Postponing/Delaying the start of Winter sports until after Jan 1st. should be the first step the KHSAA takes.
Starting the Winter sports season in early January will give Basketball, Wrestling and Swimming & Diving enough time to have the required District/Regional matches for seeding purposes. This will allow for these sports to finish around the same time frame like a regular season, but also allowing time periods for teams to quarantine/make-up games if needed.

My guess is the KHSAA is gonna do everything they can to have the state football championships & as many winter sport state championships as they possibly can.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Knott County State Champs 2020! Everyone else gets the virus and has to forfeit. Hope it does not happen but dang this year just keeps giving.
Twitter: @tc_analytics