Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 38 Jets 31
The offense stepped up today and carried this team. Despite the defense allowing the Jets to score on their first 5 possessions, they found a way to get it done. The defense did have some stops and a couple of turnovers in the second half. Kenny Watson had a career game and Carson was on target. The biggest difference in this week vs last week was the play of the offensive line. They opened those holes for Watson and protected Carson. When the O-line plays well.....this is a dangerous offense. This was a welcome victory and gives the Bengals some confidence and something positive to build on.
Congrats to the Bengals,bout time, now lets take care of them Steelers
Finally! lol...I would like to see them beat the Steelers next week!
I thought the Bengals looked pretty good today, Watson the running back I think is his name, played swell today. Congrats, lets eat some Steeler meat next week
MVP2 Wrote:Finally! lol...I would like to see them beat the Steelers next week!
Bite your tongue!Big Grin
Bengal Cat Wrote:The offense stepped up today and carried this team. Despite the defense allowing the Jets to score on their first 5 possessions, they found a way to get it done. The defense did have some stops and a couple of turnovers in the second half. Kenny Watson had a career game and Carson was on target. The biggest difference in this week vs last week was the play of the offensive line. They opened those holes for Watson and protected Carson. When the O-line plays well.....this is a dangerous offense. This was a welcome victory and gives the Bengals some confidence and something positive to build on.

The hurt backers hurt us because we couldn't stop the run (among other things), but for the most part, I was happy with the defense- especially the D line who got a lot of good rushes and good pressure (good for them).

It was ridiculous how bad the refs were.

Spartan4Life Wrote:I thought the Bengals looked pretty good today, Watson the running back I think is his name, played swell today. Congrats, lets eat some Steeler meat next week

Watson looked great, he'd bounce around looking for openings, then if he found one, he'd hit it hard and fast. I think he looked better than Rudi has, and I'd like him to see more touches.

He might have only looked that good because we ran the ball A LOT MORE tonight. Running the ball more gave us balance and made us a better team.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
How big was this win? The Steelers just lost to Denver. If we beat Pittsburgh next week, we would only be 1 game out. Plus, in a sense we would control our own destiny again. Because if we win next week we are 1 down with another game with Pitt later in the year. A win there would give us the first tiebreaker (head to head) if we ended up tied with Pitt. Hey...I know thats a lot of ifs and we still have to take care of business on the field. But this is how fast things can change in the NFL. Last week things looked bleak and now this week we can see a scenario where they control their own destiny.
trust me...its not near as bleak as it looks...it Pittsburgh dont get their heads out of their asses, they're gonna lose this division. Another crucial game tonight, a very winnable game, and they looked like high schoolers. They ran the ball 26 times tonight, threw it 35, against one of the worst run defenses in football, and ran effectively all night..Hines Ward left his fu*king hands at the house, the play calling was suspect, and the defense played terrible. Im so sick and disgusted I could puke. They have BLOWN two games in three weeks, and managed to play their best game of the season between the two. Inconsistency in this league will do you in every year. And right now, they are a very inconsistent team. You dont play like you do against Seattle, and mix the Arizona game and this shittin debacle around it. God, Im so freakin sick. Huge oppurtunity to open some ground, and they blow the son of a bitchin game. AGAIN. Cant believe it..
Bengal Cat Wrote:How big was this win? The Steelers just lost to Denver. If we beat Pittsburgh next week, we would only be 1 game out. Plus, in a sense we would control our own destiny again. Because if we win next week we are 1 down with another game with Pitt later in the year. A win there would give us the first tiebreaker (head to head) if we ended up tied with Pitt. Hey...I know thats a lot of ifs and we still have to take care of business on the field. But this is how fast things can change in the NFL. Last week things looked bleak and now this week we can see a scenario where they control their own destiny.
Bengal Cat Wrote:How big was this win? The Steelers just lost to Denver. If we beat Pittsburgh next week, we would only be 1 game out. Plus, in a sense we would control our own destiny again. Because if we win next week we are 1 down with another game with Pitt later in the year. A win there would give us the first tiebreaker (head to head) if we ended up tied with Pitt. Hey...I know thats a lot of ifs and we still have to take care of business on the field. But this is how fast things can change in the NFL. Last week things looked bleak and now this week we can see a scenario where they control their own destiny.

That win was HUGE!!!!!!

No game in the NFL is a given and no game should be taken lightly. However, only four games left on the schedule seem like we wouldn't have a heavy advantage: Baltimore in Baltimore, both Steelers games, and the 49ers game in San Fran. I believe we still have a very good chance to make the playoffs and, now with Baltimore and Pittsburg falling to 4-3 and 4-2, we can make a good run at the division.

One game at a time, though, can't take anyone lightly.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:That win was HUGE!!!!!!

No game in the NFL is a given and no game should be taken lightly. However, only four games left on the schedule seem like we wouldn't have a heavy advantage: Baltimore in Baltimore, both Steelers games, and the 49ers game in San Fran. I believe we still have a very good chance to make the playoffs and, now with Baltimore and Pittsburg falling to 4-3 and 4-2, we can make a good run at the division.

One game at a time, though, can't take anyone lightly.

Wow, the Bengals managed to pull out a win when they absolutely HAD to have it! It was good to see them beat a team they were supposed to, after the Browns and Chiefs debacles.

Like you said Fritz, the season isn't done yet. I said all along that the Bengals had a good schedule, and now they are almost through the worst part of it. If they can make it through their next three games (Pittsburgh and Baltimore sandwiched around a trap game at Buffalo), the rest of the season looks very friendly. In their last 7 games, they should be favored in at least 4 of them, with only a toughie at Pittsburgh and tossups with Tennessee and at San Fran being major obstacles. I could easily see them winning 8 of their final 10 to finish 10-6 and hopefully make the playoffs. But they have to take care of business and quit farting around against the lesser teams.

Hopefully we will get some relief as guys start to get healthy. There is a chance we get Rudi Johnson, Caleb Miller, and maybe even Chris Perry back this week. Once we get them, Ahmad Brooks, and Chris Henry back in the fold, I believe we'll see a totally different team.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Wow, the Bengals managed to pull out a win when they absolutely HAD to have it! It was good to see them beat a team they were supposed to, after the Browns and Chiefs debacles.

Like you said Fritz, the season isn't done yet. I said all along that the Bengals had a good schedule, and now they are almost through the worst part of it. If they can make it through their next three games (Pittsburgh and Baltimore sandwiched around a trap game at Buffalo), the rest of the season looks very friendly. In their last 7 games, they should be favored in at least 4 of them, with only a toughie at Pittsburgh and tossups with Tennessee and at San Fran being major obstacles. I could easily see them winning 8 of their final 10 to finish 10-6 and hopefully make the playoffs. But they have to take care of business and quit farting around against the lesser teams.

Hopefully we will get some relief as guys start to get healthy. There is a chance we get Rudi Johnson, Caleb Miller, and maybe even Chris Perry back this week. Once we get them, Ahmad Brooks, and Chris Henry back in the fold, I believe we'll see a totally different team.

We were talking tonight, and what do you think about Watson becoming the main back and Rudi being a Jerome Bettis type back who just comes in for short yardage or to control the clock? Watson looked so good, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield and can run wide. He's so elusive that no one can ever get a good shot on him, and with the Bengals running three wide a lot now, maybe play him in three wide sets and Rudi in the I formation with a fullback to give and plow ahead.

Just tossing out ideas, but what do you think?
BFritz Wrote:We were talking tonight, and what do you think about Watson becoming the main back and Rudi being a Jerome Bettis type back who just comes in for short yardage or to control the clock? Watson looked so good, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield and can run wide. He's so elusive that no one can ever get a good shot on him, and with the Bengals running three wide a lot now, maybe play him in three wide sets and Rudi in the I formation with a fullback to give and plow ahead.

I don't know if I'd make Watson the featured back just yet. He certainly had a career day against the Jets, but I'm not sure he can take that kind of pounding every week. I suspect he could start to wear down after a few more games of 30+ carries. Also, I think Rudi is still too young to relegate him only to goal-line situations.

IMO, part of the reason Watson had such a great day was the blocking by the line. If I'm not mistaken, that was the first game all year where we've had all 5 starters healthy and in their proper positions on the line. Some of those holes were so big I believe I could've ran for 8-10 yards. Smile

Again, I don't mean to put down Watson, we would've been in deep trouble without him. But I just think that Rudi would also put up good numbers with the O-line back to full strength.

Now, the big question: what to do if Rudi and Chris Perry both return this week? How do you split the carries between the three of them?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BFritz Wrote:We were talking tonight, and what do you think about Watson becoming the main back and Rudi being a Jerome Bettis type back who just comes in for short yardage or to control the clock? Watson looked so good, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield and can run wide. He's so elusive that no one can ever get a good shot on him, and with the Bengals running three wide a lot now, maybe play him in three wide sets and Rudi in the I formation with a fullback to give and plow ahead.

I think Rudi will be gone before next season, but until then he and Watson will likely split carries.
Fenix Wrote:I think Rudi will be gone before next season, but until then he and Watson will likely split carries.
it worked out with Fast Willie carrying the load, with Jerome featured mainly as a short yardage back in Pittsburgh..I think that would be a good idea for Cincy, but I still think Rudi has a few very good years left in him..too early in his career to use him primarily for that..just my opinion though..
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't know if I'd make Watson the featured back just yet. He certainly had a career day against the Jets, but I'm not sure he can take that kind of pounding every week. I suspect he could start to wear down after a few more games of 30+ carries. Also, I think Rudi is still too young to relegate him only to goal-line situations.

IMO, part of the reason Watson had such a great day was the blocking by the line. If I'm not mistaken, that was the first game all year where we've had all 5 starters healthy and in their proper positions on the line. Some of those holes were so big I believe I could've ran for 8-10 yards. Smile

Again, I don't mean to put down Watson, we would've been in deep trouble without him. But I just think that Rudi would also put up good numbers with the O-line back to full strength.

Now, the big question: what to do if Rudi and Chris Perry both return this week? How do you split the carries between the three of them?

I heard Marvin say on Bengals line that Rudi would be the starter when he returned. As I stated in another post the success in the running game and the offense in general was due to the O-line (not taking anything away from Watson). They finally had the 5 lineman on the field together that they had intended to have starting and it showed. Now having said that......I'm sure Rudi will start, but is there any doubt that Watson hits the holes faster than Rudi? There were several plays where Watson got an extra 5-7 yards where Rudi might have been tackled. Also I wonder if the Jets defender ever picked up his jock that he lost when Dorsey put that move on him in the backfield?.......lol. You want to talk about a nice problem to have? Think about the stable of running backs next year at camp. Rudi, Chris Perry, Watson, Dorsey and Irons. Not too shabby.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I heard Marvin say on Bengals line that Rudi would be the starter when he returned. As I stated in another post the success in the running game and the offense in general was due to the O-line (not taking anything away from Watson). They finally had the 5 lineman on the field together that they had intended to have starting and it showed. Now having said that......I'm sure Rudi will start, but is there any doubt that Watson hits the holes faster than Rudi? There were several plays where Watson got an extra 5-7 yards where Rudi might have been tackled. Also I wonder if the Jets defender ever picked up his jock that he lost when Dorsey put that move on him in the backfield?.......lol. You want to talk about a nice problem to have? Think about the stable of running backs next year at camp. Rudi, Chris Perry, Watson, Dorsey and Irons. Not too shabby.

If I do have one problem with Watson's play, it's that he runs almost standing up, which makes it harder for him to break tackles. Still, he does hit the holes as quick, if not quicker, than Rudi.

As for the passel of running backs for next year, I think Dorsey will be cut this year once Chris Perry and Rudi are both back and healthy. And they will not keep all four of the other guys next year, somebody will get traded, either Rudi or Perry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If I do have one problem with Watson's play, it's that he runs almost standing up, which makes it harder for him to break tackles. Still, he does hit the holes as quick, if not quicker, than Rudi.

As for the passel of running backs for next year, I think Dorsey will be cut this year once Chris Perry and Rudi are both back and healthy. And they will not keep all four of the other guys next year, somebody will get traded, either Rudi or Perry.

Oh theres no doubt they can't keep them all. I'm just saying what a nice problem to have. Chris Perry has stardom written all over him. But can he stay healthy? He was injury prone at Michigan and up to this point in his pro career. I'm not sure how much we can rely on him until he proves he can stay off the PUP list and IR.
More Cowbell Wrote:If I do have one problem with Watson's play, it's that he runs almost standing up, which makes it harder for him to break tackles. Still, he does hit the holes as quick, if not quicker, than Rudi.

He might run standing up, but how many times did he get hit (sometimes in the backfield) and just ricochet off, not lose his balance, and just explode into an opening?

Bengal Cat Wrote:Oh theres no doubt they can't keep them all. I'm just saying what a nice problem to have. Chris Perry has stardom written all over him. But can he stay healthy? He was injury prone at Michigan and up to this point in his pro career. I'm not sure how much we can rely on him until he proves he can stay off the PUP list and IR.

I was thinking we could use Perry as a third down receiver when we do four wide with Chad, TJ, Henry, and Perry, but then I remembered how good Glenn Holt's been playing, so that's out of the question.

Trade him and get a good defender.