Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travis Perry Passes King Kelley Coleman as Kentucky's All-Time Leading Scorer
Congratulations!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Diogenes
https://twitter.com/HLpreps/status/16364...09110?s=20

here is the majic basket per twitter
(03-16-2023, 03:52 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: https://twitter.com/HLpreps/status/16364...09110?s=20

here is the majic basket per twitter
Awesome accomplishment but still have to take into account how many years he played as opposed to that of King Kelly. Not knocking this at all in anyway but I’d like to see the number of games each played to get to the point total.
[-] The following 2 users Like Justagoodoleboy's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, Westside
Congratulations!  Major accomplishment.
Congrats! Major accomplishment!!
Congrats to him.
Congratulations,
Congrats to him, kid seemed humble about and even mentioned he had the benifit of more playing time and the 3-point line. He was a class act during the interview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blacksmith's post:
  • Westside
Not taking away from that kid and he is deserving. A lot of people have a hard time with it cause it’s one of those records that wasn’t event going to get broken, along with our heritage and what is the core of Kentucky basketball folk lore. To me it just doesn’t seem right, I think not matter what a kid does he should only he judge in high school (4 years period). Small schools have an advantage because of numbers to get numbers that aren’t necessarily on an even playing field. Most kids in the 7th grade aren’t ready for high school competition

This record will always be argumentative, who’s better lebron or Jordan
the only issue i have with this record is that the original king did it in a mere four years I do believe and obviously in a era without the 3 point line. To me his record is far more impressive but a scorer is a scorer
No record is meant to stand forever and there will only be one King.
It's awesome Kelly did it in four years without a three-point line and the fact the record stood that long is insane.

Travis has another year to go so his point total will really be something special when all is said and done.
This was also done in a completely different era of basketball. There is a three-point line but the athletes you see competing for a state title these days are a little different than the ones you saw in the 1950s.

I hate that a junior in high school has to deal with so many people discounting his accomplishments. We've seen this kid play, right? He's a gamer.
I have a question about this.
I’ve saw high school yearbooks from the 70’s and in those they had pics of the basketball teams and their record. And some of those I saw a team won 25 games and lost 20.
So my question is, was there any limit on regular season games played back then compared to today when you can only play 30 regular season?
Does anyone know that played back then?
(03-29-2023, 09:41 AM)I’m zaga_fan Wrote: No record is meant to stand forever and there will only be one King.
It's awesome Kelly did it in four years without a three-point line and the fact the record stood that long is insane.

Travis has another year to go so his point total will really be something special when all is said and done.
This was also done in a completely different era of basketball. There is a three-point line but the athletes you see competing for a state title these days are a little different than the ones you saw in the 1950s.

I hate that a junior in high school has to deal with so many people discounting his accomplishments. We've seen this kid play, right? He's a gamer.
Does anybody know how many point Travis has freshman through Junior year?  Just wondering
(03-30-2023, 09:11 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 09:41 AM)I’m zaga_fan Wrote: No record is meant to stand forever and there will only be one King.

Does anybody know how many point Travis has freshman through Junior year?  Just wondering

7th - 638
8th - 852
9th - 709
10th - 990
11th - 1170

9th-11th 2869
(03-31-2023, 03:05 PM)zaga_fan Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 09:11 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 09:41 AM)I’m zaga_fan Wrote: No record is meant to stand forever and there will only be one King.

7th - 638
8th - 852
9th - 709
10th - 990
11th - 1170

9th-11th 2869
To me that puts things a little more into perspective and fair!  Record with an asterisk, away from emotions towards a kid.  Nothing against the young man, in terms of rules and how a record should be awarded.  If he breaks the record this year apples to apples (minus a 3 point line or not), with both competing  within the same time frame then 100% he is the all time leading scorer in KY history; no questions asked.  Still blemished IMO, how many 3-6A Louisville or Lexington schools are gonna start a 7-8th grader compared to 1-2A schools.  To me it makes the playing field level and even without any record conversation in jeopardy.  9-12 period, who cares what you do in middle school
How many games did Coleman play?

Lyon county has played 161 games since Perry was in 7th grade. Idk if he has played in all of them but if he has he has played 161 games.

So it would be a better comparison if you knew how many games Coleman played vs how many Perry has played.
In the post above I asked if anyone knew how many games they played back then.
(03-31-2023, 08:25 PM)14th region fanman Wrote: How many games did Coleman play?

Lyon county has played 161 games since Perry was in 7th grade. Idk if he has played in all of them but if he has he has played 161 games.

So it would be a better comparison if you knew how many games Coleman played vs how many Perry has played.
I agree with this as a comparison. You have kids now who took the Covid season having played 5 years of varsity basketball and they are sophomores. Posting they scored 1000 pts by their sophomore season. Then you look and see they played 7th,8th, 9thx2 and 10th grade season. Scoring 1000 then loses its luster. IMO. You look at games played. Only way to compare. Even with the three line.
(03-31-2023, 09:25 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 08:25 PM)14th region fanman Wrote: How many games did Coleman play?

I agree with this as a comparison. You have kids now who took the Covid season having played 5 years of varsity basketball and they are sophomores. Posting they scored 1000 pts by their sophomore season. Then you look and see they played 7th,8th, 9thx2 and 10th grade season. Scoring 1000 then loses its luster. IMO. You look at games played. Only way to compare. Even with the three line.
Good point, covid causes a whole separate issue.  I don’t even know where to begin with that one haha.  Covid was a once in a century type pandemic, outside of covid four years only is good and mostly normal IMO.  What a mess lol, I will say this too in regards to the record and seen another poster say it as well.  What a shame absolute shame the KHSAA didn’t stop the game and honor the kid away from this conversation, to them it was still broken.  I seen the Twitter clip and just embarrassed his dad had to call a time out.  What we would do if common sense and a back bone was at the top of most corporate or organizational groups haha.  We’ll never see it
(04-01-2023, 08:36 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 09:25 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

Good point, covid causes a whole separate issue.  I don’t even know where to begin with that one haha.  Covid was a once in a century type pandemic, outside of covid four years only is good and mostly normal IMO.  What a mess lol, I will say this too in regards to the record and seen another poster say it as well.  What a shame absolute shame the KHSAA didn’t stop the game and honor the kid away from this conversation, to them it was still broken.  I seen the Twitter clip and just embarrassed his dad had to call a time out.  What we would do if common sense and a back bone was at the top of most corporate or organizational groups haha.  We’ll never see it
I totally agree. Travis is a special talent. Great kid as well. Loved watching him play. Great motor, plays at his pace and does what he can do and doesn’t try to do due to much!
I’m pretty sure players only played varsity for soph-senior seasons then also. May just have been college but I thought I read somewhere freshman didn’t play varsity then.