Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
(06-06-2024, 10:05 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I have to disagree with you on this. If Laferty leaves, it is a major blow to an already inexperienced line. If any of those freshman are relied on as starters, we are in trouble. These boys are going to be very good lineman in time, but to say the fall off wouldn't be that much is insane. I don't have an issue with getting their feet wet by getting reps in back up roles, but to expect them to step in and hold their own as starters is crazy. You may get by with it when you play the likes of Knott, Lewis, and East Ridge, but when you are playing solid football teams it's not an idle situation to be in. If Laferty leaves, then you play the next man up, I get that but don't sugarcoat things and act like these young kids are going to step in and not miss a beat. There is nothing more I would rather see than these freshman to come in and be studs, but I just don't that's realistic at this time. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the team, if they are put in this situation.
I never said half of what you said I did. 

Karston Johnson was going to start whether Laferty stayed or not. Kid is a great wrestler, he’s strong, good feet, and he’s played football his entire life. Laferty has only played football for 3 years now. Does that mean he’s better? No. Absolutely not. It’s not what I’m saying, but I do believe that kid can potentially hold his own against most of the teams on our schedule. I think Cayden Reynolds can potentially step up and hold his own also. 

Losing Laferty hurts mostly on the defensive line. That’s going to be my biggest concern this upcoming season.
(06-06-2024, 11:46 AM)PaleRider22 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 11:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I might be bias, but I don’t see Prestonsburg falling off that much if Laferty leaves. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll hurt. I don’t want to lose him, but it gives someone else an opportunity to step in, gain experience, and learn on the fly. May take a few weeks during the season to get some of the younger guys feet wet and comfortable on the line but it’ll pay off down the road. I just think Elliott, Harris, and Holbrook are too talented for Prestonsburg and you can lean on those guys to make big plays against really anyone on the schedule.
I’m going to have to say from what I saw on the field in the BL games Lafferty struggled. He simply could not get around that big front of the BL team. He was lined up on the right guard Nick Thacker most of the game. From what I saw the experience and size of Thacker wore him out. Even with Thacker pulling 40% of the plays right tackle Hamilton was making him know about it too.
While Cole is a brute, I’m pretty certain last season was his second year ever playing football. He had his ups and downs last season, but to be fair he never left the field. He was pulling on offense, Bull rushing on defense, and he even played special teams. Literally never come off the field. He always went up against the other teams best linemen also. So between inexperience and exhaustion, mistakes happened. Completely understandable in his situation.