Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A, District 8
Pre season ranking..... What teams are losing kids and who is getting kids???
(05-21-2024, 07:40 AM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: Pre season ranking..... What teams are losing kids and who is getting kids???
Shelby Valley is at the top until they’re dethroned in my opinion. They lost some great talent to graduation but they have another great crop of kids coming into playing time now. 

Betsy Layne has hit the transfer portal and filled a lot of the wholes that graduation left. Getting two starters from Prestonsburg should help sure up those graduation loses with McCutchen, Parsons and Allen all returning. 

Pike Central could be a surprise. Last year they were a competent coaching staff away from having something. Coach Grizzle may offer that for them. 

East Ridge is well, East Ridge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • Westside
If Betsy Layne is going to get a district title, it better be this year! With the new alignment coming into play, it's going to be hard to compete with Belfry, year in and year out. Jarrell has a great opportunity this year to get it done, and it could very well be a big year on the hill. The Bobcats have some good up and coming talent, but the biggest question will be will they be able to keep it on the hill?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • Westside
(05-21-2024, 10:38 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: If Betsy Layne is going to get a district title, it better be this year! With the new alignment coming into play, it's going to be hard to compete with Belfry, year in and year out. Jarrell has a great opportunity this year to get it done, and it could very well be a big year on the hill. The Bobcats have some good up and coming talent, but the biggest question will be will they be able to keep it on the hill?
They are getting consolidated anyway is the plan, so they have to live for today
(05-21-2024, 11:42 AM)Panther88 Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 10:38 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: If Betsy Layne is going to get a district title, it better be this year! With the new alignment coming into play, it's going to be hard to compete with Belfry, year in and year out. Jarrell has a great opportunity this year to get it done, and it could very well be a big year on the hill. The Bobcats have some good up and coming talent, but the biggest question will be will they be able to keep it on the hill?
They are getting consolidated anyway is the plan, so they have to live for today
What consolidation plans have you heard of?
(05-21-2024, 11:49 AM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
BL and Floyd Central is what they are saying
(05-21-2024, 12:48 PM)Panther88 Wrote:

Who is "they" and what would the purpose be in new facilities at Betsy Layne if they're gonna send their kids across 680?
(05-21-2024, 12:55 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:

Who is "they" and what would the purpose be in new facilities at Betsy Layne if they're gonna send their kids across 680?
I’ve heard of them closing John M Stumbo elementary and sending kids to BLES and SFES but nothing about the high schools.
(05-21-2024, 01:08 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 12:55 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 11:42 AM)Panther88 Wrote: They are getting consolidated anyway is the plan, so they have to live for today

I’ve heard of them closing John M Stumbo elementary and sending kids to BLES and SFES but nothing about the high schools.
I absolutely don't know it for a fact, but I have heard it from teachers at both schools, nobody likes the idea including me, hope it's just talk.
Does Floyd Central even have the ability to take on 500 more students even if they wanted to? No way I can see a scenario where they merge the schools
(05-21-2024, 02:58 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Does Floyd Central even have the ability to take on 500 more students even if they wanted to? No way I can see a scenario where they merge the schools
They built Floyd Central way to big for the amount of students that was actually enrolled there.
No way Betsy Layne and Floyd Central consolidate within the next several years. I’m sure it’ll happen, but it’ll be down the road.

I’m basing this off of building a brand new baseball field and gymnasium at Betsy Layne. Although, they did spend A LOT of money to build South Floyd a nice football stadium and track just to up and build Floyd Central and render that facility rarely used. So who knows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Westside
Shelby Valley is going to be the favorite. I don't think they'll put the ball in the air quite as much as they did with Russ Osborne, but they're going to be hard to stop on the ground. Adding Combs from Letcher Central is a HUGE deal that's basically gone unnoticed by most. Brady Johnson, Peyton Combs, Sturgill and Craft will be tough to deal with.

Betsy Layne is still going to be good, they lost some key pieces, but Parsons, McCutcheon, and Allen are 3 very good football players that can move the ball down field. Just have to keep those guys healthy.

Pike Central is going to be the darkhorse. The wheels fell off late last season, but they had a solid defense for much of the season and a quality offensive line. I believe they return most of their team from last season also. If Knuckles can prove to be a passing threat, Pike Central will be hard to handle in the region.

East Ridge graduated A LOT off a team that struggled last season. I think they'll have a some nice young players, but it could be a long season for the Warriors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Westside
(05-21-2024, 08:24 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Shelby Valley is going to be the favorite. I don't think they'll put the ball in the air quite as much as they did with Russ Osborne, but they're going to be hard to stop on the ground. Adding Combs from Letcher Central is a HUGE deal that's basically gone unnoticed by most. Brady Johnson, Peyton Combs, Sturgill and Craft will be tough to deal with.

Betsy Layne is still going to be good, they lost some key pieces, but Parsons, McCutcheon, and Allen are 3 very good football players that can move the ball down field. Just have to keep those guys healthy.

Pike Central is going to be the darkhorse. The wheels fell off late last season, but they had a solid defense for much of the season and a quality offensive line. I believe they return most of their team from last season also. If Knuckles can prove to be a passing threat, Pike Central will be hard to handle in the region.

East Ridge graduated A LOT off a team that struggled last season. I think they'll have a some nice young players, but it could be a long season for the Warriors.
I’m excited for this district battle. The guy Pburg should have went after will have Betsy Layne in a position to do something truly special for that school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • Westside
(05-21-2024, 08:24 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Shelby Valley is going to be the favorite. I don't think they'll put the ball in the air quite as much as they did with Russ Osborne, but they're going to be hard to stop on the ground. Adding Combs from Letcher Central is a HUGE deal that's basically gone unnoticed by most. Brady Johnson, Peyton Combs, Sturgill and Craft will be tough to deal with.

Let's not forget the defense, Betsy Layne defense should be improved from last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther88's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Let's go in a stunner:

Betsy Layne

East Ridge

Shelby Valley

Pike Central
[-] The following 1 user Likes Real Badman's post:
  • Westside
2027 consolidation