Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A miserable 24 hours
I am finally at a friend's house in Lexington and this is the first time I've had internet in 48 hours.

At about 10 PM last night, my power went out in Richmond and never came back on.

As of right now, KU said there are 176,000 customers without service and cannot give any estimated restoration time...for anyone.

So they said it might be in the next couple hours or it could be up to a week.

Sad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sorry, man.... I think there are other people in Lexington tonight that you know! LOL
ComfortEagle Wrote:I am finally at a friend's house in Lexington and this is the first time I've had internet in 48 hours.

At about 10 PM last night, my power went out in Richmond and never came back on.

As of right now, KU said there are 176,000 customers without service and cannot give any estimated restoration time...for anyone.

So they said it might be in the next couple hours or it could be up to a week.

Sad

Dude, that sucks. Hope your power gets back on ASAP!!
Just outside of Prestonsburg their are people who will not be able to get their power back until Saturday and some have to wait till next week.
Will this have any impact on the All 'A'????
Stardust Wrote:Will this have any impact on the All 'A'????

This is probably the most frustrating thing. All they did was move the start time back from 9 AM today, until noon today.

That gym could be used as an emergency shelter for the tens of thousands of people who don't have electric or heat right now. Instead they are going ahead with the All A, which won't have a good crowd this year if I had to guess.

Fortunately, (I guess) for the All A, EKU has it's own power source. I was told today, that EKU could run for about 3-4 days on their own power source in a situation like this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:This is probably the most frustrating thing. All they did was move the start time back from 9 AM today, until noon today.

That gym could be used as an emergency shelter for the tens of thousands of people who don't have electric or heat right now. Instead they are going ahead with the All A, which won't have a good crowd this year if I had to guess.

Fortunately, (I guess) for the All A, EKU has it's own power source. I was told today, that EKU could run for about 3-4 days on their own power source in a situation like this.

Comforat Eagle, you are dead on.

I as well do not have power, and fortunately we own a business that has allowed us to stay at. We have been told that it will be 36-48 hours of downtime.
Is the power out in parts of Lexington as well or just Richmond?

http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/674447.html

Power outages climb near state record
By Ryan Alessi - [email]ralessi@herald-leader.com[/email] A 36-hour barrage of ice, snow and freezing rain snapped power lines across Kentucky, leaving at least 525,000 electric customers out of power — a figure that still could grow if the frigid temperatures persist.

Many Kentuckians could be in the dark for as long as a week or two, especially those in rural Western Kentucky, which was hit hardest.

The storm produced the second-worst power outage in Kentucky history, surpassed only by September's high winds left over from Hurricane Ike, which knocked out power to 600,000.

Having the two biggest power outages in state history within six months of each other "is just mind-boggling to me," said Andrew Melnykovych, spokesman for the Kentucky Public Service Commission, which oversees utilities and was tracking outages throughout the day.

In Lexington, patches of the city were without power all day, leaving at least 36,500 homes and businesses without light and heat.

The weight of more than half an inch of ice and a layer of snow wreaked havoc on Lexington-area power lines and tree branches.

That conjured up memories of the February 2003 ice storm, in which as much as two inches of ice accumulated on branches and power lines in Lexington. But that storm wasn't nearly as widespread as this week's winter blast.

Nearly the entire state was affected — from the Jackson Purchase Energy Corp. in far Western Kentucky, which has more than half of its customers without electricity, to Kentucky Power in Eastern Kentucky, where 32,000 homes and businesses remained in the dark late Wednesday.

Some customers in the Ashland area — including Boyd, Carter, Lawrence and Greenup counties — might not have their power restored until next Wednesday, Kentucky Power spokeswoman Delinda Borden said.

Kentucky Utilities Co. and its sister company, Louisville Gas & Electric, reported a combined 275,000 of their customers were without power Wednesday afternoon.

"I think we're going to see an increased count by (Thursday) morning," Chris Whelan, spokesman for the utilities' parent company E.ON, said at a 4 p.m. news conference.

Cold temperatures that are expected to persist for the next few days will complicate utility crews' repair efforts by keeping ice and snow locked on branches and power lines, increasing the chances of more downed lines.

LG&E and KU faced at least 10,400 downed lines, which was 1,000 more than in 2003, Whelan said. The companies have recruited more than 1,100 utility workers from southern states and Michigan to help.

Crews from KU, which serves more than 140,000 customers in Fayette County, were trying to repair service to more than 30,000 customers in Lexington, where four major substations went down early Wednesday.

Restoring power to all the homes around Lexington will take days, said KU spokesman Cliff Feltham.

The bigger challenge for KU remains Western Kentucky, where more than 100,000 homes and businesses were without power and are likely to stay that way for days.

"We're talking a week to two weeks, depending on the location," Feltham said.

Rural terrain, which has long transmission wires that have been weighed down by the ice, makes restoration difficult, he said.

The region had been virtually shut down by the combination of treacherous roads, widespread power outages and little phone service.

Much of rural Central Kentucky and portions of Eastern Kentucky also was left in the dark.

About 190,000 of the 511,000 East Kentucky Power Cooperative customers had no electricity Wednesday, said spokesman Nick Comer.

Nearly all of the 16 smaller distribution cooperatives that are members of that umbrella organization reported outages. Its most crippled utility remained Inter-County Energy, which serves Boyle, Marion, Casey, Lincoln, LaRue, Garrard and Mercer counties.

"Virtually their entire system is out," Comer said.

Another of East Kentucky Power's utilities, the Bards town-based Salt River Electric Cooperative, reported 33,000 of its 44,000 customers out of power, he said.

The cooperative that covers a sliver of Fayette County — Nicholasville-based Blue Grass Energy — recruited out-of-state crews to help restore power to more than 30,600 customers. Blue Grass serves parts of 23 counties.

"Obviously it's going to be a matter of days for some customers because of the scope of these outages," Comer said. "This is a very serious situation — a catastrophic storm. So we ask customers to still be patient and understand that the crews are working as fast as we can."
Take it easy CE. Hope it comes on soon man.
Well even if the power does come back on in the next day or so, we've been told that most likely it will go back off again due to 1) more trees or limbs falling down or 2) they may find additional problems and have to shut the service down in order to service those lines.

Assuming the power is restored by Friday, I might have to go in to work. The place I work at opened for a couple hours earlier today only to close once they realized power was not coming back on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here is some of what we've been having to deal with:

(Per WKYT)

Thousands of people in Madison County are without power and part of the county is under a boil water advisory because of the winter storm.

States of emergency have been declared in Madison County, the city of Richmond and the city of Berea.

Shelters have been set up at the Church on the Rock at 1049 Richmond Road in Berea and at White Hall Elementary on Lexington Road in Richmond.

The Richmond location was later shut down because of a power outage, so folks in Richmond were transferred to a building at EKU.

Anyone who needs a warm, safe place to stay can shelter at those locations.

Because of the widespread power outages, many water districts are under a boil water advisory. Customers in Industrial Park, Duncannan Lane and the Kingston-Terrill area including the new Golden Leaf subdivision are being asked to boil water for three minutes.

Every water customer in the county is being urged to conserve water. Power is out at pump stations, so there's a limited amount of water.

Why, when the county and city are in "states of emergency," are they still going through with the All A? Why not postpone it?

And talk about a pain today on the roads. As if they weren't bad enough, a bunch of extra people on the roads weren't helping.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This is terrible dude. I hope you get your power back as AsSoonAsPossible.

Good Luck With The Power Outage!!!
At least the poorest county in Ky still has electric lol.
KU has upped their number from 176,000 without power to 180,000.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:At least the poorest county in Ky still has electric lol.

"jerry riggin" stuff works sometimes.
Here's a **** off.

I have 4 buildings in my apartment complex. Buildings C and D both have power, but my building, B, still does not have power.
:mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Here's a **** off.

I have 4 buildings in my apartment complex. Buildings C and D both have power, but my building, B, still does not have power.
:mad:

Has to be on a different transformer