Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benson is Bengals top priority
Coach Marvin Lewis said three weeks ago that the Bengals would be proactive in the signing period, not only because upgrades are needed following the 4-11-1 season, but also because the team has so many free agents.

And with salary cap space estimated to be near $25 million, the Bengals have one of the better cap situations in the NFL. But before the Bengals can go shopping on the open market when the signing period starts Feb. 27, who will they try to retain? We take a look at the team's free agents and prioritize.

Most important
Running back Cedric Benson (5-11, 220, fifth season) had three 100-yard games in the four Bengals' wins after being signed in October. Benson said after the regular-season finale that he would like to return. The former first-round pick by the Bears also had the longest rushing and passing plays of the season.

Safety Chris Crocker (5-11, 200, seventh season) opened the season with Miami before being signed on Oct. 30. He took over as a starter in the team's 11th game and showed that he is extremely physical, especially on the short routes. He definitely fits into defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer's future plans.

Linebacker Rashad Jeanty (6-2, 245, fourth season) is a restricted free agent who made 15 starts and was fourth on the team in tackles and second on special teams tackles. He is a disruptive pass rusher and good tackler. The club probably will make an offer.

Linebacker Brandon Johnson (6-5, 245, fourth season) also is a restricted free agent. He started the last nine games after rookie Keith Rivers was injured and was second on the team in tackles. He is very quick and an effective pass rusher. Another one who the club likely would make an offer to.

Caught in the middle
Tackle Stacy Andrews (6-7, 342, sixth season) was given the franchise tag last year and started 15 games at right tackle. He has improved each season. The team is negotiating, but basically has been talking to his agent about a multi-season deal for three years......

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090...8/1062/SPT
The Bengals are in a difficult decision to say the least.
Bengals need to sure up Benson. He should be a Priority. I think the Bengals draft Michael Crabtree, and trade TJ.
CCHS90 Wrote:Bengals need to sure up Benson. He should be a Priority. I think the Bengals draft Michael Crabtree, and trade TJ.

Like any team would trade for TJ when they know his contract is up and he's a free agent, unless they could get a contract worked out before hand. I'd love to get something for TJ if we have to get rid of him! The Bengals' organization is gonna miss him next season, that's for sure. But the Bengals' do need to re-sign Ced ASAP! I think that we have a chance to get a good price, plus we have found a guy that can hit the holes quick, can give Polamalu concussions(Big Grin), and is fast...
Jshort5 Wrote:Like any team would trade for TJ when they know his contract is up and he's a free agent, unless they could get a contract worked out before hand. I'd love to get something for TJ if we have to get rid of him! The Bengals' organization is gonna miss him next season, that's for sure. But the Bengals' do need to re-sign Ced ASAP! I think that we have a chance to get a good price, plus we have found a guy that can hit the holes quick, can give Polamalu concussions(Big Grin), and is fast...

:1: :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote::1: :Thumbs:

haha...I know we all have alterior motives don't we? lol...
Hurting the Steelers' is one of my top priorities every off-season! Big Grin
Jshort5 Wrote:haha...I know we all have alterior motives don't we? lol...
Hurting the Steelers' is one of my top priorities every off-season! Big Grin

I couldn't agree more TongueirateSho
Benson can explode into the line, and he doesn't need a fullback, which is great because we can play the three receiver set, and, with teams needing to keep players in the box respecting the run, it gives Carson some amazing options.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Benson can explode into the line, and he doesn't need a fullback, which is great because we can play the three receiver set, and, with teams needing to keep players in the box respecting the run, it gives Carson some amazing options.

Very much agreed
why would Benson be a top priority? The Bengals need to worry about defense.