Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cherokee Lake
Has anyone (other than outdoorsman43) ever been to Cherokee lake in Tennessee?

There are some whopper Largemouth and Smallmouth down there along with some "rock fish" and "stripers". If you haven't been and you like fishing, you should definitely head down there sometime. I highly recommend it (and I'm sure outdoorsman43 would too).
A lot of good times on that lake. I haven't been in over 2 or 3 years.
Been to this lake a couple of times but its been several years ago. Have had much success and caught some big ones on topwater and crankbaits especially in the fall.
Never fished on this lake. But, have some buddies who have fished it. And they seem to always have some positive things to say about this lake.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Never fished on this lake. But, have some buddies who have fished it. And they seem to always have some positive things to say about this lake.

You should make the trip out there if you get the chance. It is more than worth it.
Cherokee Lake is home to the largest smallmouth I ever caught. Really like that lake... I also like the river that flows into it, good wade fishing as well on the Holston.
Cherokee is home to my largest Smallmouth as well. Not to mention my largest Largemouth. I was far more successful in the late 80's and early 90's at Cherokee for Smallmouth than I am in recent times. Norris Lake, which is just a little north of Cherokee is a fine lake for bass as well.
Never been thier...but i have been to douglas lake...i like it pretty good
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Has anyone (other than outdoorsman43) ever been to Cherokee lake in Tennessee?

There are some whopper Largemouth and Smallmouth down there along with some "rock fish" and "stripers". If you haven't been and you like fishing, you should definitely head down there sometime. I highly recommend it (and I'm sure outdoorsman43 would too).

I have fished Cherokee regularly for severla years and I agree whole heartedly with this post.
I-Da-Joker Wrote:Never been thier...but i have been to douglas lake...i like it pretty good

Yeah it is a good lake but its droughted every weekend so you never know where the fish are. I'll have to give my favorite Tenessee Lake award to Norris Lake
Im going down in a few weeks....is there places to camp...not campgrounds just a place where me and my family would be away from everyone else....dont want to be around everyone else, want to be alone....please let me know, if you are familiar with the lake...
theVILLE Wrote:Im going down in a few weeks....is there places to camp...not campgrounds just a place where me and my family would be away from everyone else....dont want to be around everyone else, want to be alone....please let me know, if you are familiar with the lake...

I know of two campground's. You may want to contact the folks that work at one of the dock's around the lake. I'm sure there is something you could find that would suit you.
Been there many times over the years, I have a place there near Gilmore Dock, go there every chance I get. I have caught many good bass there LM & SM over the years. Also fish Norris and Douglas a few times each year as well. I like Norris in the early spring and in the fall and Douglas in the late Spring and Summer. I'm going to Cherokee with my club this Friday for a night tournament.
theVILLE Wrote:Im going down in a few weeks....is there places to camp...not campgrounds just a place where me and my family would be away from everyone else....dont want to be around everyone else, want to be alone....please let me know, if you are familiar with the lake...

i would look for some of the islands on the lake. i always see people camping along the islands. there are some good places up the lake, around point 23 to 25.

good luck w/ the fishing.
I like camping and wad fishing along the Clinch River, but Cherokee does have good bass fishing.

If you are taking a boat get you a map and locate and ramp with islands near. We used Gilmore Boat Dock and just a short boat ride out to the islands. Good camping spots and good fishing right there around the islands. Have done this several times and always fun. Cherokee is up in the bushes right now which is very rare.
Been killing the Largemouth on Tennessee Shad DD 22's. But now the lake is dropping which has turned them off...also the cold front moving through doesnt do much good.
Got some good pix of Cherokee that I'll add to the thread a little later... We went this weekend after the games and the boys loved it!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Got some good pix of Cherokee that I'll add to the thread a little later... We went this weekend after the games and the boys loved it!!

Did you all fish any?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
MisterPerfect Wrote:Did you all fish any?

Hubby, son and another of his friends did some fishing...... I don't fish!!! LOL

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Hubby, son and another of his friends did some fishing...... I don't fish!!! LOL

HaHa.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Anyone done any fishing here lately? I have a tournament coming up in about 2 weeks any info is good as far as water level, temperature, etc. I know they always lower the lake early down there but I havent fished here in a long time. I heard they are biting pretty good there right now.