Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politics Strike Allen Central: New Softball Coach
isnt it a shame when a coach does good with their teams and they still get ousted as a coach because of parents and jealous its a shame the parents has to get rid of a coach because their child doesnt get a trophy when the coach ahs all the stats infront of him goin by them this is stupid and then the princepal stands behind the parents because of thier numbers instead of being right or wrong grow up sis hall and get some guts about you quit letting everybody else make ur decisions for you... Its proving now that if any coach has a winning season at allen central then they better look for the pink slip !!!!! Watch out coach hall you won to many games last year your next !! lol this is stupid,
burke resigned as coach because he got pushed out by a bunch of ego idiots
Don't back to back district titles and a solid run in the All A Classic count for anything?
It is a shame. It happens in a lot of schools. Parents need to stay out of coaching. Encourage your daughters to work hard and let the coaches do the coaching.
Sorry to hear that. The parents get there way. Especially is they have money. I have seen it. I wish nothing but the best for the Rebels Softball program.
ACHS is a Volleyball School all other sports they don't care about.

The Colonel is the only one that can win at this school and not get fired.

Just look back girls basketball was winning ever year but vollyball come alone and we have nothing but volleyball.

Who got the softball job.
Jenkins is going through the same thing. All they got is softball.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
It's a shame that parents can't keep thier noses out of team business. When the kid comes home complaining or if they get benched, ask them why they think they got benched and then ask them what they could do to win a starting spot. That's how it should be handled.

It's very rare that you'll find a coach with an axe to grind. Most coaches' egos will force them to put the best player in. They crave the attention of winning, not satisfying a small number of parents.
What does Jenkins have to do with Politcs?
Navajo4life Wrote:What does Jenkins have to do with Politcs?

Jenkins dismissed thier girls basketball coach from last year, Chris Tolliver, who came in after the season had already started. Apparently several of the players and their parents didn't care much for him after a short, short while. One of more of those parents were board members and he was fired. Some people blame those politics for his dismissal but they fail to mention that Jenkins had a very light schedule and still finished with one win...probably their worst season in decades.

There was a long argument about it in another thread on this board in which the topic was the new Jenkins coach, Ashley Addington.

I think the person whose post you were responding to was simply linking JHS and ACHS in that they are successful in only one sport. JHS with softball and ACHS with volleyball. JHS also has track and cross country.
That is one of the main things that is wrong with the Floyd Co school system. A few of the schools have principals that need to be booted or handed a pink slip. This might help keep good people working with the kids.
Isn't it amazing what the "right complaining parents" can do. I think this firing/resignation- what ever you want to call it- has as much to do with Coach Burke standing against Sis Hall during a recect SBDM meeting. Sis and her parent rep's (who are both parents of Volleyball players) fought to keep a second PE teacher instead of keeping an English Teacher. With an enrollment of about 430 student- why do you need 2 PE teachers. Freshmen are required to take one semester of PE and one semester of Health. The Freshmen classes at AC probably average about 110 students. Then only days after the SBDM incident Coach Burke was told he would no longer be teaching the only weightlifting class offered at AC. Mark Martin was given the job. These site base decisions are supposed to be in the best interst of the students at their school. It looks more and more like the decisions made at AC are in the best interest of a few. I'm sure there were some upset parents who went to Sis complaining- but I'm pretty sure her decision to get rid of Burke was made long before the season was over. This is just another one of her self satisfying moves. If Henry Webb doesn't get this crap under control- AC won't have to worry about competing in academics or athletics- there won't be any students left.
Yea that said it right there I mean she holds grudges and gets you one way or another and tries to blame everybody else for it to get her out of it when everybody knows whats going on WE ARENT STUPID!!!!!!!!
Coach Burke I would love to see you coach at Prestonsburg. I wish you would bring Sarah Kinney, Jamie Mullins, Shea Spurlock and a lot more of the team from AC. (Don't know all of the girls names) The kids are never put first. All the school system is worried about is what looks good on paper. CATS testing? What a major joke. I think they should bring a test in here that the state sent people to give it. They might get different scores. Burke-I think you did a great job this year. I am sure your players will back you. I am a Prestonsburg fan but I am also an AC fan. The girls are awesome Just like their coach.
What do Allen Central have coming back?
Don Burke was already approved to coach softball by the SBDM for the 2009 - 2010 school year. He resigned in June. He resigned because parents complained about the favoritism and selection of the region all tournament team players (I understand that names were placed in a hat and drawn). That did not bode well because the players and the parents believed the tournament statistics spoke for themselves. He resigned, he was not fired!

Mr. Burke is a SBDM member. Two positions had to be eliminated due to projected student enrollment (less than 390 or so). One position was an assistant principal position that was created two years prior and projected to last two years - it did and that was the easy elimination. A majority vote could not be reached on whether an English Teacher or PE Teacher position should be eliminated. Remember, these are positions and not persons that were supposed to be eliminated but some on the SBDM voiced their concerns that a personality (Mark Martin) was being targeted instead of a position. Ms. Hall came in with a new proposal to eliminate the remediation position which passed 5 - 1. Mr. Burke voted in favor of the proposal, the one dissenter did not run for SBDM for 2009 - 2010.

As for the weight lifting thing - I understand it is more because of liability. Mr. Burke is 'certified' to teach social studies and Mr. Martin is 'certified' to teach physical education. What does weight training fall under - PHYSICAL EDUCATION.

Parents, like teachers, are elected to the SBDM annually. The two parents with the most votes win.
well idk the whole situation and quite frankly dont care. but i have heard some people talkin about Burke and from what they were sayin he didnt know what he was doing. he told the outfielders that their 1st step should always be in, and when 3 players tryed to tell him that was wrong he wasnt having it. also when AC went to the All "A" he didnt have none of the starters med papers. and just so happen 1 of the players got injured and if it hadnt been for a family member being there she may not have got med attention right away. but like i said idc about what happen or anything else just stating my opinion
well he was no coach in any way shape form or fashion. if he knew the slightest thing about the game, then he probably could have kept the job. i mean honestly who draws names out of a hat to decide who gets a regional tourney trophy, its not a lottery people... and he didnt coach ac to all the titles they had got under him, he was handed that team when he got the job..
Well i know for a fact an i was there that no name drawing out of the hat went on they all dedied an disscussed which was fair an the girls the got chosen where the right ones.. in my opinon.. the ones that played the best got it its that simple an ask for burke i think yea he wond all those tournys an things like that but he was just lucky he had girls that had expericance an new what they were doing cause he didnt know alot about softball here he was at the all "A" tourny trying to chang ther batting which u dont do so late in the season but whatever i guess hopefully they will have a good season this year.. i wish them the best..
Well i will be the first to admit when i am wrong.. an well i was wrong but i wasn't in my last post i was thinking about distric's an i think the otheres were talkin about regionals.. an from what i was told.. which right this time at regionals drawing names did happen.. an i am sorry i was confused a litte i cant believe that an to beat it all his two best players in my opinon were left out of the drawing.. but oh well he is gone now an on to the next season...
big yellow ball fan Wrote:well he was no coach in any way shape form or fashion. if he knew the slightest thing about the game, then he probably could have kept the job. i mean honestly who draws names out of a hat to decide who gets a regional tourney trophy, its not a lottery people... and he didnt coach ac to all the titles they had got under him, he was handed that team when he got the job..

They won under him so he must have known something about the sport.:thatsfunn
i know that Burke also said some unnecessary comments to other coaches when they were at the district coaches meeting so i am not a fan of him and i dont believe it was just parents that led to his demise