Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexis Arguello dead at 57
MANAGUA, Nicaragua -- Former boxing champion Alexis Arguello, considered one of the best lightweights to step in the ring, has been found dead.

Presidential spokeswoman Rosario Murillo confirmed Arguello's death early Wednesday.

The 57-year-old Arguello was elected mayor of Managua last year. He turned pro in 1968 and won his first title by knocking out Ruben Olivares for the featherweight crown. He later captured the super featherweight and lightweight belts, becoming the sixth boxer to win titles in three weight classes.

He retired in 1995 with a record of 82-8 with 65 knockouts, and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992.

His Sandinista party's Radio Ya said coroners are conducting an autopsy to
determine the cause of death.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/...id=4299144
They said he committed suicide.
RIP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Wow..Sad news from the boxing world!
Yeah, his fight with Pryor in '82 I believe, was one of the top 3 fights Ive ever seen..Great fighter..sad news..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ The two greatest fights EVER!
Greatest fight I have ever saw to this day, is Arturo Gatti and Mickey Ward I...Pryor-Arguello and Mancini-Bramble II would be a close fight for second..
Stardust Wrote:^ The two greatest fights EVER!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Haugen/Pazienza 3 (1 and 2 were great as well)

Jorge Paez and Calvin Grove - Just an incredible battle

Azumah Nelson/Jeff Fenich

Severl Julio Cesar Chavaz fights: Meldirck Taylor, Roger Mayweather sr., but my foavorite of all time was Jose Luis Ramirez.
Ahh..an educated fan of the sweet science..nice..yeah, I loved the Pazmanian Devil/Haugen fights and the Paez/Grove was a great call too..I totally left out the Diego Corrales/ Jose Luis Castillo I war too. Incredible comeback by Corrales though..I have to admit I havent seen the Nelson/Fenich fight, but I want to now..Chavez and Taylor was a great injustice to me, with Richard Steele stopping it with :02 left... (another great and gutsy fighter who left us too early)..
Stardust Wrote:Haugen/Pazienza 3 (1 and 2 were great as well)

Jorge Paez and Calvin Grove - Just an incredible battle

Azumah Nelson/Jeff Fenich

Severl Julio Cesar Chavaz fights: Meldirck Taylor, Roger Mayweather sr., but my foavorite of all time was Jose Luis Ramirez.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[quote=TidesHoss32]Ahh..an educated fan of the sweet science..nice..yeah, I loved the Pazmanian Devil/Haugen fights and the Paez/Grove was a great call too..I totally left out the Diego Corrales/ Jose Luis Castillo I war too. Incredible comeback by Corrales though..I have to admit I havent seen the Nelson/Fenich fight, but I want to now..Chavez and Taylor was a great injustice to me, with Richard Steele stopping it with :02 left... (another great and gutsy fighter who left us too early)..[/QUOTE]

This was a great fight that should never have been stopped. Steele has had a few other controversial fights.

Barry McGuigan/Steve Cruz and Mike Tyson/Orlin Norris come to mind