Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: Cuban Pitcher Chapman close to Deal With Cincinnati Reds
Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman appears to be closing in on an agreement to play with the Cincinnati Reds, though his agent said no deal is complete.

One source told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure that the Reds will sign Chapman, a coveted left-handed pitcher, to a deal believed to be worth $30 million over five years.

Chapman's representatives said Sunday afternoon that the deal is not done and would not confirm the team, but did say the Reds are "possible."

"We have to wait still," agent Rodney Fernandez wrote to ESPN The Magazine in a text message in regard to a possible deal with the Reds. "It's possible. We'll see."

Yahoo! Sports and MLB.com reported Sunday that sources told each Chapman would sign with the Reds.

Reports earlier last week had the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Angels in the bidding for Chapman.

Chapman attended a Yankees playoff game in New York and also visited Red Sox officials in Fenway Park while he was still represented by his previous agent, Edwin Mejia. Last month, Chapman held a workout in Houston attended by more than a dozen teams, including the Red Sox, who have scouted him extensively in international play.

He was also being courted by the Toronto Blue Jays and Florida Marlins, though The Miami Herald reported last week that the Marlins would drop out of the bidding if the price exceeded $20 million.

Chapman, 22, was a sensation pitching for the Cuban national team in last spring's World Baseball Classic, with a fastball that topped 100 mph, but some officials have expressed concerns about his control.

"He's the real deal,'' one scout told ESPNBoston.com on Thursday. "He's a real good athlete. When he was pitching for Cuba, it was almost like he was a reliever when he was starting, told to throw as hard as he could for as long as he could.

"He's not ready for the big leagues yet, but he has a fabulous arm. His slider is going to be a plus pitch, and though he has no feel yet for the changeup, his arm action is good, and that could come with time.''

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4813486"]Source: Aroldis Chapman close to deal with Cincinnati Reds - ESPN[/ame]
Wow, first I have heard of this
The Reds have agreed to terms with Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman on a six-year, guaranteed deal. The payout is over a long period of time, probably 10 years.

The deal will be announced tomorrow, pending a physical.

Chapman defected from Cuba after the World Baseball Classic. He throws close to 100 mph.
OH my this may clear the way for a trade of Harang and /or Bronson Arroyo
How good is this guy? I did not watch the WBC but Cuba ALWAYS has some good arms.
lwc Wrote:how good is this guy? I did not watch the wbc but cuba always has some good arms.

Good!
Great. Maybe the Reds will finish above .500 this year.
Westside Wrote:Great. Maybe the Reds will finish above .500 this year.

Don't get dilusional now :biggrin:
lwc Wrote:How good is this guy? I did not watch the WBC but Cuba ALWAYS has some good arms.

A lefthander that throws 100 MPH does not have to be good, He will scare guys at the plate as did Randy Johnson early in his career
I've heard only good things about this kid and he is a kid with a lot of potential. hopefully we stay healthy and get our bats going we might actually be .500..at least the reds are finally trying something good instead of stupid
He is projected to be a couple years away from majors-possibly the 2011 season.In world baseball he was great against Australia but not Japan.He is a good prospect.He also costs Reds $30 million over 6 years and entire payroll last year was $71 million so I wonder if he could be traded if he develops for big bucks or other players or if they keep him.Arroyo has pitched better than Harang of late.Let's see how they do this year.
$71 million is all they can afford in Cincy?
If he even turns out to be a decent major league pitcher, the Reds got a bargain. Even though they gave him $30 million, I don't think it was a bad deal unless he is a complete bust.

Let's say that he spends the entire 2010 season in the minors working on his control, then joins the Reds' rotation in 2011. They will still have four years on the major league roster for that $30 million, which averages out to $7-8 million per year. These days, even a mediocre starter with a sub-.500 record will likely command $5 million per year. Harang and Arroyo will each earn over $12 million this coming season. If Chapman even pans out as a #3 starter, the Reds will have come out ahead.

Envision a young rotation in 2011 consisting of Volquez, Cueto, Chapman, Bailey, and last year's #1 pick Mike Leake. Looks pretty good to me. :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If he even turns out to be a decent major league pitcher, the Reds got a bargain. Even though they gave him $30 million, I don't think it was a bad deal unless he is a complete bust.

Let's say that he spends the entire 2010 season in the minors working on his control, then joins the Reds' rotation in 2011. They will still have four years on the major league roster for that $30 million, which averages out to $7-8 million per year. These days, even a mediocre starter with a sub-.500 record will likely command $5 million per year. Harang and Arroyo will each earn over $12 million this coming season. If Chapman even pans out as a #3 starter, the Reds will have come out ahead.

Envision a young rotation in 2011 consisting of Volquez, Cueto, Chapman, Bailey, and last year's #1 pick Mike Leake. Looks pretty good to me. :Thumbs:

I Like, any chance we'll see Leake in the Majors this season?