Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 teams in Pike Co. 10-11?
Lets hear what you think!
I heard today that some Newsome kid from Virgie Middle School was transfering to a Pike Central feeder school to play basketball for the high school.
Too early to say, still do not know what key players are going to play up in the high school level and what effect certain coaches leaving certain schools or other job hirings will have.
Who do you think the early favorite is?
Call Me Hot Wrote:I heard today that some Newsome kid from Virgie Middle School was transfering to a Pike Central feeder school to play basketball for the high school.

Which feeder, Mullins or Johns Creek?
Rumors, rumors, rumors! Way too early to even wonder what is going to happen.
Call Me Hot Wrote:I heard today that some Newsome kid from Virgie Middle School was transfering to a Pike Central feeder school to play basketball for the high school.
are you joking? i play ball or talk to this kib about 2 or 3 times a week. he loves it at virgie. hes not moving, no way!
School Admin. Wrote:Rumors, rumors, rumors! Way too early to even wonder what is going to happen.

:Thumbs:
adidas_4 Wrote:Who do you think the early favorite is?

Virgie
Ive heard that the Newsome and Richardson from virgie are playin high school basketball and not playing their last year of middle school. And the Caudill kid from Dorton is playing high school basketball to. Justice is playing High School also and, The Mullins kid from FC is also playing High School basketball.
Sorry Miller* from FC
fairweatherfan Wrote:Virgie

Virgie was also your alls early pick last ball season and we see what happened. Don't ever under estimate a small school out in the county anything can happen and could happen. Those players mentioned that are playing high school from the whole county are not the only boys on those teams and we will see whose under dogs step up and pull the win this year.....
dorton4 Wrote:Ive heard that the Newsome and Richardson from virgie are playin high school basketball and not playing their last year of middle school. And the Caudill kid from Dorton is playing high school basketball to. Justice is playing High School also and, The Mullins kid from FC is also playing High School basketball.

Well Since you probley tried out for the team at valley you would know. But no dalton and andrew both are playing middle school at high school. what kid would sit out their last year of middle school? And Owen is NOT playing middle school. i guess he just feels like hes great and dont need to play. Well hes not that good. hes a good middle school player but not high school. he will contribute none to valleys team next year.
i also heard that the great vic fouts was holding back at dorton, any truth?
i think its goin to be bettween five teams in the the county.dorton,virgie,fc,ec,jc
well since none of us r the ones goin to high school how do we know.will see whos playin high school ball and middle school later in the year
I know a team that will surprise some people that nobody has mentioned!
Since this argument has already begun, I'll at least update everyone on what I have been told about certain players from reliable sources as of today.

Cameron Justice (Feds Creek), Johnny Miller (Feds Creek), Dalton Richardson (Virgie) & Owen Caudill (Dorton) are all skipping there 8th grade year to play varsity basketball in high school a year early. Also, Andrew Newsome (Virgie) and Ethan Blankenship (Johns Creek) could also be playing varsity next year which would wave there 8th grade year since Pike County is enforcing a few new and old rules this year. Also was told Coach Rowe (Virgie) is not coaching Virgie this year and will be focusing on helping Shelby Valley only. Now for what I know about teams in the county and what they had last year is...

North
Belfry had a talented B team last year and was told by a couple of people Trinity (the the really quick & bulky point guard from last year) is holding back.

Johns Creek is probably the favorite to win County this year as long as Ethan does not play up. Between him playing tough inside and Mac being one of the best point guards in the county, along with a cast of really good role players...this is a very talented team. Losing Varney to Phelps High School was bad luck for Johns Creek (btw...congrats Coach Varney), but the next coach has a great team waiting on him.

Everyone knows I coach at Mullins, so I will say what I can without being bias. We are young and have a lot of up side. Think we could surprise a lot of people if our boys come together.

South
Dorton looked really good during summer ball tonight and as always under Coach Davis, play really tough defense. Huffman is one of the best shots in the county, if not the best. Though they do not have the size of Belter anymore, I was surprise to find how big they was.

Elkhorn City returns EVERYTHING from last years team. They are really tough inside along with really good guard play. Could be the favorite to win county depending on what happens with Johns Creek.

Feds Creek I know lost 3 or 4 of there starters from last year's county team either to graduation or playing up. You cannot replace Cameron, Johnny or Patrick...so to be honest, I'm not sure what this team will look like this year. There B team with Johnny on it last year was tough though.

Pikeville has the most talented 7th grade class in the county along with a couple talented 8th graders mixed in. Quite possibly the most talented team in the county and my dark horse to win county.

Virgie will look totally different this year, which makes it very hard to predict how good they will be. I only got to see them play once last year, so I do not know much about the whole team other then Richardson and Newsome. Maybe someone else could fill us in.

As for the County, I'm not sure at this point you could pick a clear cut favorite if certain players do play up as expected. Ethan gives Johns Creek a ton of size to go along with great guard play along with the defending B team tournament championship. But if he plays up, it could be any of the teams listed above I believe.
bball_fan Wrote:Since this argument has already begun, I'll at least update everyone on what I have been told about certain players from reliable sources as of today.

Cameron Justice (Feds Creek), Johnny Miller (Feds Creek), Dalton Richardson (Virgie) & Owen Caudill (Dorton) are all skipping there 8th grade year to play varsity basketball in high school a year early. Also, Andrew Newsome (Virgie) and Ethan Blankenship (Johns Creek) could also be playing varsity next year which would wave there 8th grade year since Pike County is enforcing a few new and old rules this year. Also was told Coach Rowe (Virgie) is not coaching Virgie this year and will be focusing on helping Shelby Valley only. Now for what I know about teams in the county and what they had last year is...

North
Belfry had a talented B team last year and was told by a couple of people Trinity (the the really quick & bulky point guard from last year) is holding back.

Johns Creek is probably the favorite to win County this year as long as Ethan does not play up. Between him playing tough inside and Mac being one of the best point guards in the county, along with a cast of really good role players...this is a very talented team. Losing Varney to Phelps High School was bad luck for Johns Creek (btw...congrats Coach Varney), but the next coach has a great team waiting on him.

Everyone knows I coach at Mullins, so I will say what I can without being bias. We are young and have a lot of up side. Think we could surprise a lot of people if our boys come together.

South
Dorton looked really good during summer ball tonight and as always under Coach Davis, play really tough defense. Huffman is one of the best shots in the county, if not the best. Though they do not have the size of Belter anymore, I was surprise to find how big they was.

Elkhorn City returns EVERYTHING from last years team. They are really tough inside along with really good guard play. Could be the favorite to win county depending on what happens with Johns Creek.

Feds Creek I know lost 3 or 4 of there starters from last year's county team either to graduation or playing up. You cannot replace Cameron, Johnny or Patrick...so to be honest, I'm not sure what this team will look like this year. There B team with Johnny on it last year was tough though.

Pikeville has the most talented 7th grade class in the county along with a couple talented 8th graders mixed in. Quite possibly the most talented team in the county and my dark horse to win county.

Virgie will look totally different this year, which makes it very hard to predict how good they will be. I only got to see them play once last year, so I do not know much about the whole team other then Richardson and Newsome. Maybe someone else could fill us in.

As for the County, I'm not sure at this point you could pick a clear cut favorite if certain players do play up as expected. Ethan gives Johns Creek a ton of size to go along with great guard play along with the defending B team tournament championship. But if he plays up, it could be any of the teams listed above I believe.

I don't know if this is accurate or not because it may possibly change, but I was told today that Dalton R and Andrew will be playing middle school so Virgie should be the preseason favorite to win the county. They would return 5 of their top 7 (losing Mason Bowling and John Johnson from last year) and with their experience should be the heavy favorite.

Our team will look a lot different this year, but I look forward to working with these boys. They have a lot of upside, but it will take lots of hard work to get it out of them. I really enjoyed watching them play tonight.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I don't know if this is accurate or not because it may possibly change, but I was told today that Dalton R and Andrew will be playing middle school so Virgie should be the preseason favorite to win the county. They would return 5 of their top 7 (losing Mason Bowling and John Johnson from last year) and with their experience should be the heavy favorite.

Our team will look a lot different this year, but I look forward to working with these boys. They have a lot of upside, but it will take lots of hard work to get it out of them. I really enjoyed watching them play tonight.

Your boys looked really good tonight, they played there butts off and Huffman was impressive with how well he shot the ball.
Well since this thread says Top 10 teams in 10-11 heres mine!

1.Virgie
2.Johns Creek
3.Pikeville
4.Elkhorn City
5.Feds Creek
6.Belfry
7.Dorton
8.Mullins
9.Millard
10.Phelps
11.Kimper
sorry didn't mean to put 9.
bball_fan Wrote:Since this argument has already begun, I'll at least update everyone on what I have been told about certain players from reliable sources as of today.

Huffman has an awesome 3 point shot and it is consistent. Dorton also has a good shooter in the Mullins boy if Coach Davis can get him to take the shot. From watching this boy play, all he needs is a little confidence and the points are there. Team them together and add Cantrell's defense and look out county!
1. Virgie (Has 5 of their top 7 back. Richardson, Newsome, Rowe, Hamilton, and Maldonado. Should be the favorites once again.)

2. Feds Creek (If Cameron Justice returns this team could be the team to beat. They would have Justice, Miller, Haggy, and Taylor returning. I've heard rumors that they have a transfer or two coming in. But you know how rumors are. So for now they are number 2)

3. Elkhorn City (This group returns a lot of starters and they did take Virgie to the limit last year at the county tournament. Who knows what another years experience will do.)

4. Dorton ( Looked really good at Elkhorns Camp. Came close to winning it.)

5. Pikeville (Pikeville looked good at Elkhorns Summer camp)

6. Johns Creek ( I like this team. I think they have a tremendous up side the only problem is i'm not sure how a new coach will interact with this group. Varney had them playing well. Johns Creek needs to hire a good coach and hope his system sticks.)

7. Belfry (Belfry is like Belfry any other year. They will play hard you just aren't sure what transfers they will have due to football.)

8. Mullins (I don't know a lot about Mullins. What i do know is they lost their best player. Coach Kidd i am sure will have his team playing well.)

9. Phelps (Don't know a lot about them sorry)

10.Millard (Were pretty bad last year but did show signs of improvement. I heard that lost a few players to transfers. That could really hurt the Mustangs!)

11.Kimper ( Kimper is just Kimper. They have no true home gym and its hard to compete when you don't have a gym to practice in. They do use the old Mullins gym but its hard to travel from Kimper to Mullins every day for practice. The board really needs to look into getting kimper a small gym. They would be satisfied with anything it doesn't have to be fancy. )
I think virgie will have alot of talent this year and be hard to beat but as Feds Creek showed us last year anything is possible.
1.Virgie- 5 of top 7 back Nuff said they will once again be loaded.

2.Pikeville- talented 7th graders(Johnson,May,Silvers) mixed with what has turned out to be a good 8th grade class in Charles,Estep,Maynard (ect).

3.Dorton-lost Belter and the small guard but still are very talented with Huffman and Fouts returning.

4.Elkhorn City-Returns everyone including Fields

5.Johns Creek-Don't know if Ethan is playing but if he does they could be higher.

6.Feds Creek-Great team but some are playing High school including Cameron Justice

7.Belfry-Lost alot but will be pretty good still.

8.Mullins-Lost both Charles brothers to Pikevile.Heard Meade might leave too.

9.Millard-Dosent return much

10.Phelps-Lost their to best players,Estep to Pikeville and Fannin to Belfry.

11.Kimper-Kimper is same ole same ole.
Everyone seems quite sure things are going to go as said, but believe me when I tell you, unless you are right there, don't count on anything happening until it happens.
School Admin. Wrote:Everyone seems quite sure things are going to go as said, but believe me when I tell you, unless you are right there, don't count on anything happening until it happens.

Hopefully all the kids from each of these schools will still play grade school ball. It makes for much better competition and a more exciting atmosphere.
I agree having these players in the county sure makes games more interesting. Last year was a blast and you never knew who was the better team. I truly believe Feds Creek, Dorton, and Virgie could have played 10 games and of those 10 games you wouldn't know who to pick.

I expect Caudill to play for Dorton and them to be a top 4 team in the county.

I expect Miller and Justice to play for Feds Creek and them to be a top 4 in the county.

Virgie has 5 out of 7 starters from last year and i expect them to be a top 4 team.
Virgie will win the county. nuff said.