Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jody Demling Class of 2011 rankings -Boys
The Class of 2011 is deep and has some fast rising stars that made it tough to get through a top 20.

But the easiest spot was at the top.

Bowling Green power forward Chane Behanan is the best prospect in the state hands down in the '11 class. Behahan is likely to be ranked in the top 20 nationally when the new rankings come out.

But after Behanan it gets tough.

I went with Eastern's Remy Abell because he's had a sensational spring but Warren Central's George Fant and Clark County's Vinny Zollo could have easily been put in the No. 2 spot and the addition of Tony Kimbro back into the state gives the class some more depth.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...kings.html
1. Chane Behanan, Bowling Green, 6-8 - Simply put - he's a stud!
2. Remy Abell, Eastern, 6-4 - Gets to the basket as good as anyone else in the state and arrives with a bang. He's gotten stronger and more confident.
3. George Fant, Warren Central, 6-7 - The addition of Behanan to the city of Bowling Green has helped Fant pick up his game - he's improving.
4. Vinny Zollo, Clark County, 6-8 - The former Kentucky commitment has grown, gotten strong and improved his game. He's solid.
5. Tony Kimbro, Jeffersontown, 6-4 - Former Manual star is back after two years at prep school. He could go up in the rankings or drop depending on how hard he plays.
6. Treg Setty, Mason County, 6-8 - Love this kids game. Had a tough Sweet 16 but has worked hard and is living up to his billing.
7. Robbie Stenzel, Clark County, 6-4 - He's just a solid all-around player and has been that was since he started as a freshman for the Cardinals.
8. Timmy Knipp, Elliott County, 6-8 - Led the state in scoring last season and when he gets on a roll can score from anywhere on the court.
9. Anthony Hickey, Christian County, 5-11 - Wasn't highly thought of this time last year but has improved and is a solid point guard.
10. DeVante Parker, Ballard, 6-4 - Yes, I know he's a football player. The Louisville commitment would be getting big-time Division I attention on the hardwood if he only played basketball. Can jump, is a great shooter, lock-down defender and great ballhandling skills. Not much he can't do.
11. Donovan Kates, Christian County
12. Jordan Shanklin, Warren Central
13. Josh Forrest, Paducah Tilghman
14. Kameron Woods, Eastern
15. Lyonell Gaines, Eastern
16. Jermaine Jackson, Iroquois
17. Veontae Lewis, Christian County
18. Ryan Fucci, Tates Creek
19. Tanner Shotwell, Scott County
20. Scott Schuette, Lexington Catholic
21. Kevin Shaw, Seneca
22. Marcellus Barksdale, Tates Creek
23. Jordan Gilbert, Mason County
24. Taylor Martin, Lexington Catholic
25. Armon Marks, Eastern

CLOSING IN ON THE LIST: Deondre McWhorter, Moore; Josh Stroud, Fairdale; Trey Williams, Greenup County; Ryan Hudson, University Heights; Bobby Stauffer, Ryle; Dylan Basham, Madisonville; Leonard Smith, Fulton County; Desmond Brown, Central; Chad McDowell, Pleasure Ridge Park; Antone Warren, Fern Creek; Kyle King, Deming; Jake McClanahan, East Ridge; Robbie Barber, Scott County; Travis Purvis, Clark County; Jake Simpson, PRP; Brock Simmons, Calloway County; Damien Elam, Russellville; Jesse Anderson, Graves County; Hayden Sweat, Bullitt East; Jay Middleton, Ballard Memorial; Matt Tramell, Dixie Heights; Luke King, Deming; Jaylen Daniel, Clark County; Chancellor Armstrong, Trinity; Walter Alexander, Seneca; Martez Harris, Seneca; Jacody Taylor, Danville; Aaron Rayburn, West Carter; Kellen Smith, Scott; Jake Geisler, Newport Catholic; Kevon Rice, Holmes; Tanner Napier, Lafayette; Neal Pawsat, Mason County; Byron Sanford, Eastern; Corey Washburn, Bullitt East.
Eastern has 5 players listed and GRC has 4 players listed. Love the way Demling stated that Zollo has gown, but still has him listed at 6'8. LOL
I think Hickey should be higher on the list.
justaguy Wrote:I think Hickey should be higher on the list.

What players would you rank him higher than? Where you you put him on the list?
Knipp from Elliott County is the only eastern Kentucky player mentioned in the top 25. Surely there's more talent than that in the mountains.
Without his tom-tom, Demling couldn't find a place like Dorton. So, it's not hard to see his slant when he's ranking players.
40% of the players he listed overall and 32% of the top 25 come from the Louisville regions. I wouldn't take the absence of players in the mountains to mean there isn't talent there, but rather he may not have seen it.
DragonFire Wrote:40% of the players he listed overall and 32% of the top 25 come from the Louisville regions. I wouldn't take the absence of players in the mountains to mean there isn't talent there, but rather he may not have seen it.

I agree, you have to get out of the mountains to be seen, how many of the "top" players in the state played in Indy last week or in Louisvillle this week or going to Morgantown this weekend?
goodguy Wrote:I agree, you have to get out of the mountains to be seen, how many of the "top" players in the state played in Indy last week or in Louisville this week or going to Morgantown this weekend?

I would say all of the top 25. I know that all but Tony Kimbro of the top 9 were in Indy at the first of the week. I have read the updates of Demling on the Louisville tourney and most of the top 25 were on AAU teams playing in Louisville. Another top AAU tourney this week is in Minnesota. Then the big tourney in Vegas, also the Milkhouse tourney in Florida.

Agree you have to get out and be seen to get on the list. Timmy Knipp is from the mountians, and playes on the Shinning Stars-Davis AAU team that played both in Indy and Louisville.
Gold Charger Wrote:I would say all of the top 25. I know that all but Tony Kimbro of the top 9 were in Indy at the first of the week. I have read the updates of Demling on the Louisville tourney and most of the top 25 were on AAU teams playing in Louisville. Another top AAU tourney this week is in Minnesota. Then the big tourney in Vegas, also the Milkhouse tourney in Florida.

Agree you have to get out and be seen to get on the list. Timmy Knipp is from the mountians, and playes on the Shinning Stars-Davis AAU team that played both in Indy and Louisville.

I was referring to "top" players from the mountains that Demling did not identify. I was asking Dragonfire which mountain players that should have been ranked in the top 25 played in those tournaments?
Its a sad fact that Mountain kids take the back seat when it comes to rankings. I agree their are so many kids from the mountains that could stack up with his list. Eastern KY kids dont always have the opportunities to play on AAU teams if they dont have people pushing for them. One pure fact, Eastern KY did have last years KY MR Basketball which came from the mountains and a Eastern KY team that won it all.

Moore Sheldon Clark
Hobo Mccoy Pike Central
Wade Skaggs Johnson Central
Cody Parker Johnson Central
goodguy Wrote:I was referring to "top" players from the mountains that Demling did not identify. I was asking Dragonfire which mountain players that should have been ranked in the top 25 played in those tournaments?
Sorry, that is not the way I read your post. Who are the mountain players that should have been listed? Are they playing AAU this summer? I am always ready to watch some top players in the state, If you know of any not listed, let us know who and what school they play for. Hopefully I might get to catch a game of theirs and watch them play.
TSSI Wrote:Its a sad fact that Mountain kids take the back seat when it comes to rankings. I agree their are so many kids from the mountains that could stack up with his list. Eastern KY kids dont always have the opportunities to play on AAU teams if they dont have people pushing for them. One pure fact, Eastern KY did have last years KY MR Basketball which came from the mountains and a Eastern KY team that won it all.

Moore Sheldon Clark
Hobo Mccoy Pike Central
Wade Skaggs Johnson Central
Cody Parker Johnson Central

No disrespect mean to any of those players but compared to some of the other guys on that list, these 4 simply are no where near the level of those guys. Maybe closing in, but not top 25. There's some serious talent in this 2011 class.

On another note, I'm very surprised Josh Stroud of Fairdale didn't make the top 25. Love his game and he is extremely talented.

He also lists Neal Pawsatt with the "closing in group" and I'm pretty sure Pawsatt isn't even playing basketball this year, to focus on football. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
8th region seems to never pump out any "good" talent, at least since Scott County and all 3 Bullitt County schools left the region.
kywldcat01 Wrote:No disrespect mean to any of those players but compared to some of the other guys on that list, these 4 simply are no where near the level of those guys. Maybe closing in, but not top 25. There's some serious talent in this 2011 class.

On another note, I'm very surprised Josh Stroud of Fairdale didn't make the top 25. Love his game and he is extremely talented.

He also lists Neal Pawsatt with the "closing in group" and I'm pretty sure Pawsatt isn't even playing basketball this year, to focus on football. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Heard this rumor last year and he played. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Gold Charger Wrote:Heard this rumor last year and he played. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

I, too, remember hearing this last year and he ended up coming back late in the season after the football injury.

I'd assume that once an updated list comes out, Zach Price of J'town will take over the #2 slot. I think I saw Demling mention that?
kywldcat01 Wrote:I, too, remember hearing this last year and he ended up coming back late in the season after the football injury.

I'd assume that once an updated list comes out, Zach Price of J'town will take over the #2 slot. I think I saw Demling mention that?

Yes I read that too.