Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adrian Gonzales To The Chicago Cubs?
SAN DIEGO -- The Cubs might be getting a good look at their future this week in San Diego.

Which has a little to do with Starlin Castro and Andrew Cashner, but a lot more to do with Adrian Gonzalez and the San Diego Padres -- if the Cubs get the most out of this latest ''we're-not-rebuilding'' effort.

Only the least informed optimist watching the Cubs finish out the season believes they can tweak the roster only slightly and contend for a pennant next year with the reduced payroll ownership is promising.

But 2012? You could be looking at a preview across the diamond this week at Petco Park, where the Padres are trying to go from oblivion to the playoffs in one year.

More specifically, you could be looking at a preview of Wrigley 2012 at first base, where MVP candidate Adrian Gonzalez is one year removed from free agency and admits eyeing the hand-in-glove fit he could be for a team starving for the kind of left-handed pop, attitude, clubhouse presence, relative youth and Gold Glove fielding he provides.

''There's definitely a lot of positives about Chicago that if they made an offer, I would be interested in it,'' said Gonzalez, 28, whose ability to hit for power to all fields is one reason he has a career .693 slugging percentage at Wrigley Field (85 plate appearances).

''Chicago's a great town, and they have great fans, and I like the fact that it's a small ballpark. I know the wind can play against you, but it can play for you, too. There's definitely some positives. And my wife loves Chicago, for the shopping.''

Gonzalez, who said he was told before last season that the Cubs and Padres were discussing a trade to send him to Chicago, likes the idea of a reunion with his original big-league hitting coach, Rudy Jaramillo -- who had done his own behind-the-scenes recruiting of his former star student.

''He's the whole package,'' Jaramillo said. ''He's really so good defensively.

And the thing about Adrian is he hits left-handers --that's one of his strengths. He drives the ball to all fields. Plus he's a good young man. He's the type of guy we need in Chicago. He takes care of himself. He's a family guy.''

''About the only thing he doesn't do well is run. But who cares? He drives in runs.''

Lack of runs, particularly from the middle part of the order, is exactly what killed the Cubs' chances to contend the last two seasons.

In fact, for all the hand-wringing over last year's free-fall to 707 runs, the Cubs needed a hefty 5.8 per game the rest of the season to equal that this year, as they opened a four-game series against the second-ranked pitching staff in the National League Monday.

But Gonzalez seems impressed with the Cubs' young position-player talent.

''Castro looks good. He looks like he's got energy, and a good swing,'' Gonzalez said. ''I know he got hurt, but Tyler Colvin is a guy that's going to be productive every year. He swings the bat well. [Carlos] Marmol -- obviously, their closer's good.

''I don't know what the status of Aramis [Ramirez] is, but he's one of the top third basemen when he's healthy. They definitely have some good pieces. It's just a matter of making that right move or drafting that right guy.''

And beyond what's already in place from the draft, the right move for the Cubs might be right under their noses all week in San Diego.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b66Bv