Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Central 46 Belfry 7 (Class 3A State Championship)
Belfry needed to play a "clean game" and execute to near perfection to defeat a team with superior athleticism, speed, and talent. They did not.

I cannot emphasize how much respect I have for Scroggins as a HC. The one point in the game that exemplified this was after the fumble return for the TD when both teams had been getting chippy, and the unsportsmanlike calls were being made. Scroggins gathered his ENTIRE team and had them take a knee around them. I don't know if it was about the taunting and penalties (they cut those out afterwards), but if nothing else he made darn sure his boys would not let their foot off the gas and finish the task. You can tell his kids love playing for him and his record as a HC in 3A and his hardware surely tell the true story.

I may be selfish, but I sort of hope he finds a way onto the UK staff. He knows how to coach, how to get his players to grow, and more importantly how to win and how to do it the right way.

I really wish Belfry could have played to their potential so the score wouldn't have been as lopsided, but it was apparent Central was simply playing on a better level. The missed tackles, turnovers, and critical errors have plagued this team all season, and yesterday they came back again at the worst possible time against a better team.

A couple quick hitters:

- First and foremost Tre Willis played his butt off. He was the only Pirate who was matching Central's physicality and flat out running over Jackets and smacking them in the mouth. This kid is going to have a big year next year!

- I wish Pruitt transferred prior to his Jr year. That kid has grown so much as a back this season and I cant help but think how much further along he would be with 2 years in the Belfry system. I am proud of his play this season and glad to see him get the TD.

- On the topic of Pruitt, Justin Johnson is going to be a special back and the heir apparent to take over as Belfry's home-run hitter at HB. The kid is quick as a housecat and runs bigger than he is. Someone needs to give that kid as many steaks as he wants so we can bulk him up because he will be a very, very good RB in the near future.

-Speaking of size. I wish Anthony Wales of Central was about 3 inches taller and about 15 pounds heavier. The only knock on that kid is his size and he impressed me with the way he ran through tackles despite his size. I hope a D-1 schools "takes a chance" on him. He reminds me of Derrick Locke alot.

- Anyone know the status on #40 Josh Robinson?

and finally.....

- Belfry is going to be darn good the next 2-3 years and a couple more Belfry/Central games look to be on the horizon. For the Pirates to compete it is CRITICAL that they develop an intermediate passing game. You simply cannot rely on the home-run ball to be your only passing game against a team like Central. If Belfry can develop ends who can consistently make a 6-10 yard route to the sideline or across the middle and catch the ball...it will make their offense twice as dangerous.

Until the Pirates can effectively set up an intermediate passing game, I don't see them having a chance to beat Central unless they play a flawless game execution wise.
Coachdad Wrote:What's more important between having a solo performance at The Kentucky Center for the Arts or a playoff game? Or your daughters quick recall championship?
It all comes down to how an individual raises their own family and the set of morals and values important to them. And no one gives the right or takes away their right to free thought and speech , I didn't get rude or cuss you out or anything like that. I didn't even mean to strike a nerve.

but it's regular season/State Championship man. Well when I clearly stated I wasn't, no need for you to ask cause I'm not. I'm not gonna lie to ya?
Belfry0304 Wrote:but it's regular season/State Championship man. Well when I clearly stated I wasn't, no need for you to ask cause I'm not. I'm not gonna lie to ya?
Different strokes for different folks.
I am enlightened by different opinions and I respect and value yours as I would expect one to value and respect mine.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I said I wasn't, do you have the right to question that? Didn't think so. I'm SURE the Iroquois Point Guard would even understand the importance of the State Championship game. As basketball/football may be equally important, what's bigger --- regular season game/state championship.

It's funny that you even question all this. Give it a break. How much support does the basketball teams get at your school? You hardly have anyone to show up to a basketball game. He has stated different strokes for different folks, let it go. Everyone does not share the zeal or passion as you, in football.
oldtimer3 Wrote:It's funny that you even question all this. Give it a break. How much support does the basketball teams get at your school? You hardly have anyone to show up to a basketball game. He has stated different strokes for different folks, let it go. Everyone does not share the zeal or passion as you, in football.

Actually, I was just asking a question. As far as the rest of the community, yes support is lower for basketball games but two of my best friends play basketball and I am there every time the lights are on. I'm just saying that if I'm part of a family, I'd work out a way to either see both games or if I had to choose, I just don't understand picking a regular season basketball game instead of football. I didn't disagree with it, I was just asking. Me and Coachdad are obviously on the same page here, no need for your comments and acting like I'm stupid or something. There is life outside football, for me, it's basketball and baseball for both girls & boys. I'm passionate about sports, and want to make a career in high school sports. Heaven forbid I ask for how things work in a place outside of mine. Don't get to go to Louisville much when you're a 17 year old in Belfry.

Thanks for the insight, Coachdad, I would do it differently but I can understand. Shoutout to both of your kids, As stated above I'm an avid sports fan, but I also have a huge spot in my heart for my guitar and drums.
oldtimer3 Wrote:It's funny that you even question all this. Give it a break. How much support does the basketball teams get at your school? You hardly have anyone to show up to a basketball game. He has stated different strokes for different folks, let it go. Everyone does not share the zeal or passion as you, in football. F
Thanks man.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Actually, I was just asking a question. As far as the rest of the community, yes support is lower for basketball games but two of my best friends play basketball and I am there every time the lights are on. I'm just saying that if I'm part of a family, I'd work out a way to either see both games or if I had to choose, I just don't understand picking a regular season basketball game instead of football. I didn't disagree with it, I was just asking. Me and Coachdad are obviously on the same page here, no need for your comments and acting like I'm stupid or something. There is life outside football, for me, it's basketball and baseball for both girls & boys. I'm passionate about sports, and want to make a career in high school sports. Heaven forbid I ask for how things work in a place outside of mine. Don't get to go to Louisville much when you're a 17 year old in Belfry.

Thanks for the insight, Coachdad, I would do it differently but I can understand. Shoutout to both of your kids, As stated above I'm an avid sports fan, but I also have a huge spot in my heart for my guitar and drums.
Good deal buddy and good luck in your future!
Coachdad Wrote:Your margin was very close , you a bookie?lol

no, he just said that because he said Union would be in the finals and win big,lol
Congrats Belfry on making it to the Championship Game. Congrats Central on a very impressive win. Speed kills.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:- Anyone know the status on #40 Josh Robinson?

He went to the hospital after the game, the doctor said he had a concussion and some bruising but he will be fine and today he is going to see our team physician to find out what he needs to do.
SlapHands Wrote:He went to the hospital after the game, the doctor said he had a concussion and some bruising but he will be fine and today he is going to see our eam physician to find out what he needs to do.

Glad to hear that it wasn't anything more serious. Saw Dr. Johnson checking his jaw on the sideline so I was hoping it wasn't a broken jaw as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Glad to hear that it wasn't anything more serious. Saw Dr. Johnson checking his jaw on the sideline so I was hoping it wasn't a broken jaw as well.

glad he is ok, i guess i missed it because on the reply it just showed him getting pushed down,i was watching where Pruitt got blind sided, but it was legal, glad he is ok was well...
The Contrarian Wrote:As a supporter of Eastern KY teams, I am disappointed that Belfry didn't make a better showing but apparently they met a much better team. The same happened to Hazard, so our Eastern teams didn't do well.

Maybe next season?

Eh, don't sound too "Supportive" there mate....

Atleast Hazard and Belfry made it to the State Championship Game, thats a great accomplishment. Sure I would have liked for both of them to win, but they didn't. Hazard finished at 14-1, and Heck Belfry wasnt even supposed to be there. So please don't undermine what hard work and determination these kids from both teams put in to get to where they were.
cuppett777 Wrote:no, he just said that because he said Union would be in the finals and win big,lol
Lol
SlapHands Wrote:He went to the hospital after the game, the doctor said he had a concussion and some bruising but he will be fine and today he is going to see our team physician to find out what he needs to do.
Is he the one that got hit on the interception ?
BelfryPride Wrote:Eh, don't sound too "Supportive" there mate....

Atleast Hazard and Belfry made it to the State Championship Game, thats a great accomplishment. Sure I would have liked for both of them to win, but they didn't. Hazard finished at 14-1, and Heck Belfry wasnt even supposed to be there. So please don't undermine what hard work and determination these kids from both teams put in to get to where they were.

Amen! These young Belfry team was expected to go... nowhere! Yet, the endured all the talk, went to work and it paid off! Going to the state tournament and coming out runner-up is nothing to be ashamed of. I would dare to wager there are a few teams out there that would have loved to been in their shoes! Good job Pirates! This SUPPORTER is very proud of you and what you accomplished this season. Keep up the good work and come right back next season!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Amen! These young Belfry team was expected to go... nowhere! Yet, the endured all the talk, went to work and it paid off! Going to the state tournament and coming out runner-up is nothing to be ashamed of. I would dare to wager there are a few teams out there that would have loved to been in their shoes! Good job Pirates! This SUPPORTER is very proud of you and what you accomplished this season. Keep up the good work and come right back next season!!

Amen sister!:Cheerlead
Speed Kills, and so do the mistakes against Central, Every team that has played them from the east has shot themselves in the foot countless times.
I watched the replay. Wow, did Belfry miss a LOT of tackles. Central was very impressive! Awesome size and of course tons of speed all over the field. Gotta wonder is the QB could have made playes on third and medium or long if Belfry would have wrapped up and tackled. Gotta give credit to Wales, who is an awesome back, but Belfry just whiffed ALOT when in position.

And, Tyler Williams, who had a great season and was an excellent player this for the Pirates just didnt have his best game. It happens. I look forward to Belfry trying again next season. I think they will play all year for that chance for retribution. They better work hard though, cause Central is well coached and extremely talented, big, and fast.

Not an impossible task, but Belfry has to get to work ASAP and really want it!

Good luck this offseason Pirates! And thanks for a great year! Congrats on your success! You now who what it takes to finish the job, work hard.