Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Pack out at Prestonsburg (RUMOR)
I don't like to comment on coaching changes until they are official, but I will make an exception this time. I think Prestonsburg will look outside the 15th region to bring in a new coach this time. I was at a barbershop in town the other day and heard a name mentioned as someone who could be contacted if there was a job opening at P-burg. I was just a fly on the wall in a crowded room and was not active in the conversation. I will not mention his name until this opening is official, this person is already a head coach at another school and from what I heard is very successful and may not want to return to Floyd County. His team has averaged 20 wins per year for the last 7 years and has been very competitive in his region. That is all I will say about this, if you are guessing, here is a hint. Ask Kelly or Robert if, from time to time, they cut the hair of a successful coach from down state when he comes home to visit family in Floyd County.
I could make a real good guess, and he'd be a pretty good choice.
He is a excellent coach.
I agree with what has been said by some..Prestonsburg basketball program hasnt been the same in years. I know there were/are great players who havent played or been recruited to play..
UK Fan14 Wrote:I could make a real good guess, and he'd be a pretty good choice.
He is a excellent coach.

I think so too, if we are talking about the same person. My concern would be that he may not be interested in coming back. I know a couple of his friends around here, I may put some feelers out and see if he might be interested. If there actually is going to be an opening, that has yet to be determined.
Any new developments on this rumor?
[quote=#1 Blackcat Fan]Agree. No offense to the basketball team, but you could put a team together from the kids not playing at the school who could beat the current team. I say unless you could get a J R Vanhoose to give Jamie Howell a shot.[/QUOTE

Jamie Howell? If you want a good high school basketball program, you can't be serious. Why don't you just let one of the players be a player / coach. Makes about as much sense.
What is the status on this rumor? I have not seen anything officially posted about this job. Is this job going to be open or is Pack returning for another year? Anyone have any updates?
Coach Howell has been nothing but successful at Adams Middle. He always has highly competitive football and basketball teams. Although, I know that he has never coached high school before....I have no reason to think the success he has would be any different. Like I said, I know it would be at a different level, but coach Howell can coach. Just my opinion....Take it for what it is worth.
Wow, the football boys where the only ones that did any good.....man I bet the rest of the boys on the basketball team appreciate that!!!!!!!! You are truly a team player, you will know who I am by my user name. And I know who this is mr. Black gold or blue. All I can say is same on you those other kids worked just as hard, but when they won't throw you the ball, it's hard to do anything. Same on you!
Heard this past week that this was true. Admininstration had notified Coach Pack that he would not be back as coach. Still has not been job posting on khsaa website, but the person that told me is very close to pburg sports programs. I will believe it when I see it on official job openings.
From what I hear Brent Rose will be taking over. Any truth to that?
World B Free Wrote:From what I hear Brent Rose will be taking over. Any truth to that?

Isn't he a principal? I thought Floyd County had a rule that does not allow administrators to coach. Maybe I am wrong. I heard they were going to look out of district for a new coach. But again, this position has not been officially posted as open position, until then Jack Pack is the coach.
I heard that Brent Rose is expected to be the new coach at Prestonsburg High School.
Basketball Guru Wrote:Isn't he a principal? I thought Floyd County had a rule that does not allow administrators to coach. Maybe I am wrong. I heard they were going to look out of district for a new coach. But again, this position has not been officially posted as open position, until then Jack Pack is the coach.

I know in a lot of counties this a rule. I am fairly sure Floyd County is one of them. Wasn't that the reason Brent Rose stepped down at Betsy Layne. Cassandra Akers quit coaching to become principal and I think Henry Webb did also. If this is a rule is Brent Rose going to step down as principal to become coach, I sincerely doubt it. Again,if this job is open, it has not been posted anywhere as I know of. Must be one of the most well kept secrets in the mountains.
This job has officially been posted at the school.
If we can just get someone in there that will put our Basketball Program where it needs to be....Football Coaches are where they need to be...Baseball coach is where he needs to be...Now lets put a Basketball Coach in there where he needs to be!!

HAIL BLACKCATS!!
AMEN to that fellow Blackcat.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:AMEN to that fellow Blackcat.

Just out of curiosity, who do the Prestonsburg faithfull want to replace Jack Pack?
Someone that will show his players the same respect that they show him!!!....Someone that will not belittle those players that doesn't belong to people he owe's favors too!! Someone that will not break down the character that some of those players have worked very hard to build..Someone that will acknowledge the support that he has around him...Someone that will support the other athlete's and stop trying to put a wedge between the programs...In Other Words.....Anyone but Jack Pack!!!
Yeah, anyone but Pack.
BLACKCAT FAN Wrote:Someone that will show his players the same respect that they show him!!!....Someone that will not belittle those players that doesn't belong to people he owe's favors too!! Someone that will not break down the character that some of those players have worked very hard to build..Someone that will acknowledge the support that he has around him...Someone that will support the other athlete's and stop trying to put a wedge between the programs...In Other Words.....Anyone but Jack Pack!!!
Well then, sounds like it should be an easy position to fill.
Are there any teaching jobs available? Are they looking local or would the administration look at applicants from out in the state? Why is this job not posted on the KHSAA website, has it already been "promised" to someone?
Pack did well his first time around, but could never get it togeather this time... Its time for someone new. If I was Pburg I would look for a coach this time, instead of just hiring someone from inside the school.
Prestonsburg should really hire somebody that can take it to the next level. Pburg is gonna have some really good ball players coming up to play from middle school. This years in coming freshman class for instance. It's not often that Adams AND Allen both have good teams. Imagine what they could do combined.
I wish you didn't have to be a teacher to be a coach. I'd love to have something to do with that basketball program.
BCF4L Wrote:I wish you didn't have to be a teacher to be a coach. I'd love to have something to do with that basketball program.
You don't have to be a teacher to coach, it really helps being a teacher if you want to be the head coach.
PM me and I'll let you know the things needed to help.
I've been an asst. and agree with you, I'd like to help out with that group that is there.
IMO, it would be a good move to let you help out. But not sure when their naming a head coach or who it will be.
Most schools like to have teachers as coaches because they can maintain administrative control over that person, which is not a bad thing. If a person is not a teacher then their behavior cannot be controlled with the threat of losing their livlihood and career. If a non teacher gets out of line they could just quit and return to their regular job, nothing lost, except maybe a little pride. Plus, being in the school all day with the players, a coach can help out with academics and behavior issues. Personally, I think the head coach should always be a teacher, if they can perform the duties. A person should not be a coach merely because they are a teacher, that causes problems also. Seen that happen before.
Congratulations Goes Out To James DeRossett ........He Is The New Boys Basketball Coach At Prestonsburg High School !! Thank You Jesus!! Smile Smile