Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeke Pike commits to Auburn
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruitin...id=6397290

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Congrats to the big guy.

EDIT: Christ I hate this keyboard, remove the "s" from Pike please. My fault.
Congrats to the kid
MaxPreps Article: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NuPjxGYLEeC...otball.htm
Congrats to Zeke. I've had the privilege to know the family since Zeke was 10 and am proud of the young man. For those who don't know, Zeke's father Mark is a former Buffalo Bill and was there during the four year Super Bowl appearances.

I'll track down some of the pictures of Zeke was younger.
This is awesome!!!! Congrats Zeke.

Could someone post some highlight videos? Thanks You
#1 No, My kids were not midgets, Zeke was that tall as a 12yo

[attachment=o2246]

#2 when Zeke was a running back

#3 Zeke and his dad

#4 Zeke and Simon Kenton standout and UK player Miles Simpson
Wish this kid would have been a Cardinal!! But as with the Dawson kid from Boyle nothing at all wrong with shooting for the stars and gonig big time.
there dying here in Arkansas now, they thought they had the number one qb in the country, its flooding here from there crying,lol
congrats to the big fella, nice for him to get that out of the way before the season
Congrats Pikes.
Congrats Zeke.
Congrats to the young man and best of luck in his college career. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't pick Purdue, but as a realistic PU fan, I know it wasn't very likely. I'm just incredibly excited we even made the hat selection table and his reported final top 3!
After wavering on wanting to play college football at Auburn, a trip to the spring game last weekend helped Dixie Heights junior quarterback Zeke Pike decide it was the place for him.

Pike, considered one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation, made a verbal commitment to Auburn Wednesday before a group of family, friends, teammates and coaches.

After sitting at a table with his parents and brother that had logos taped in front of it signifying the five schools he had narrowed it to – Auburn, Tennessee, Purdue, Michigan and Arkansas – the 6-foot-5, 225-pound Pike arose before making the announcement, walked behind a curtain and came out wearing an Auburn hat and having peeled off a Dixie warm-up to reveal an Auburn tie.

Both Pike and his father, Mark, who played for the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, said the initial plan was to narrow the list to five schools (Auburn, Tennessee, Purdue, Michigan and Arkansas), and then take some time to decide. But the trip to Auburn, the fourth time he visited the school, helped him decide.

“I had kind of lost interest in Auburn a little bit because people were saying they’re not a pro style system, you have to be under center and be able to drop back, but I have to love where I’m going to be,” said Pike. “It was just a feeing I got there. I can’t explain it. All along the process the thing I said is I want to go somewhere that I love being whether it’s football or not. Am I going to love going to school there? Am I going to love the people there? Am I going to love the coaches there? And then it’s going to be about playing time and then it’s going to be developmental. Everything before the football stuff is what I love about Auburn.”

Pike admitted it helped that his parents had the means to allow him to make several unofficial visits to numerous schools.

“Just being able to see what all these schools had to offer (helped),” said Pike, who completed 130 of 235 passes for 2,144 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushed for 947 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. “This being the fourth time I was down there and it felt like each time I got more comfortable, I just felt something in my heart that I knew was right. I could see it in my family’s eyes. We were all just in awe of the place and in love with it.”

Pike said he wasn’t concerned with any lingering NCAA investigation or possible sanctions from the saga involving Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton and his father.

“That was something we asked about,” said Pike. “They just won the national championship and they had one guy on their staff who left and that’s the D-line coach. If they thought there was going to be any NCAA issues they would have left. Let the people say what they’re going to say.”

He also said he wasn’t discouraged by critics of offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn’s offense that it isn’t conducive to developing NFL-ready quarterbacks.

“A lot of people are going to doubt Auburn’s offense is a pro-style offense,” said Pike. “Coach Malzahn’s offense is going to adapt to the quarterback. If you have Cam Newton you’re going to let him create and make plays.”

Pike played running back through eighth grade and didn’t even begin playing quarterback until being asked by Dixie freshmen coach Daryl Newton and his son Todd, who also is the varsity team’s quarterbacks coach. He admits he’s raw, but he’s been working with former University of Cincinnati quarterback Dustin Grutza on mechanics and footwork.

The thing a lot of coaches tell me is I have a real natural release,” said Pike. “My mechanics are good, but they’re not where they need to be. I have to continuously work on footwork. A lot of people just love my skill set as a quarterback. I think they see that I’m a kid that’s kind of raw and can be developed in any system.”

His father knows just because his son made the commitment that it doesn’t necessarily mean the recruiting process is fully over.

“I asked Zeke if he was going to have withdrawal,” said Mark Pike. “You get used to the attention and coaches being around, but hopefully it will slow down.
“I’m thrilled for him. A year ago he was just kind of getting his name out there after he just kind of exploded on the scene last summer and it kind of took on a life of its own.”

Zeke Pike said he’s not about to change his mind before signing his letter of intent.

“I’m an Auburn Tiger and that’s not going to change,” he said.

“There are a lot of kids that will make this announcement this time of the year and go back and switch, but that’s not what I am. I’m true to my word. I get to sign in February with the national champions

http://preps.cincinnati.com/nky.aspx
A great choice. I wish him well. I still think he plays defense. But, people a lot more knowledgable than myself think he's a qb? Time will tell. He's admitedly raw. He does have a good release and strong arm though.
Much congrats.
As I said in another post almost on another site when they said he wouldn't go to UofL or any other spread system. 90% of college football is a spread system today, at playing in the SEC he will have the coaching, resources, and play against top flight competion not only on satursday but EVERYDAY at practice to become an NFL player. I would love for KY kids to stay in school but when you get offers from schools such as USC or Auburn very hard to turn those guys down.
^ Very well said!
Just a thought, I'm glad this kid believes he can go to Auburn and play. I believe in him too, but I have Zeke on Facebook and the Michigan Wolverine fans absolutely EMBARRASSED themselves after Zeke committed to Auburn. If I was a Michigan fan (I'd kill myself), I'd be truly ashamed of my entire fanbase for some of the comments made towards a high school kid.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Just a thought, I'm glad this kid believes he can go to Auburn and play. I believe in him too, but I have Zeke on Facebook and the Michigan Wolverine fans absolutely EMBARRASSED themselves after Zeke committed to Auburn. If I was a Michigan fan (I'd kill myself), I'd be truly ashamed of my entire fanbase for some of the comments made towards a high school kid.

It's kids making comments about kids, thats all.