9th Region: Haylee Smith - Ryle
10th Region: Erin Charles - Montgomery County
11th Region: Alyssa Oakley - Lafayette/Tanner Tevis - Scott County
12th Region: Lindsey Stephens - Pulaski County
13th Region: Gloriann Cordero - North Laurel/Caitlin Walden - Whitley County
14th Region: Kayla Stambaugh - Jenkins
15th Region: Sarah Williams - Johnson Central
16th Region: Kaitlin Miller - Ashland Blazer
I am going to have to disagree with the 8th region coach of the year. Steve Leanhart is a great coach and his team had a great season, but if I could choose I would have James Axline of Collins and James Thompson of Spencer County as co-coaches of the year. This was coach Axline's first year and he did an excellent job, leading his team to a 23-15 record and a trip to the regional championship. As far as I know, this was also James Thompson's first year as a head coach. He lead Spencer County to a 21-12 record and their best season ever.
I also agree on the 14th Coach. Should be Bumper Adams of Letcher Central. He has been through quite a bit and yet takes LCC to the State Tournament.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Jenalee Ginn is a great player and is definitely deserving of 8th Region player of the year, but you can also make a case for Spencer County's left-handed pitcher Leigh Ellen Thomas. This year (according to MaxPreps.com) she had a batting average of .426. She also stuck out 250 batters in 155 innings. She had 17 strikeouts against Bullitt Central, 16 against Bracken County, 15 against Franklin County, and 14 against Bourbon and Trimble Counties. She also struck out 9 out of 9 batters in the 3 innings she pitched in a 8-0 win over Eminence. She only gave up 71 hits in those 155 innings, pitching a no hitter against Bullitt Central, giving up just 1 hit to Christian Academy, North Oldham and Barren County, and limiting 14th ranked Franklin County to just 2 hits. This year her ERA was 0.86, giving up just 19 earned runs all year. She had 10 shutouts this year and only walked 10 batters. Those stats don't include what she did in the post season. I had the privilege of watching her a couple of times this year and she is the real deal. Oh yeah, she is only an 8th grader.
blue1424 Wrote:Coaches of the Year:

1st Region: Tony Hayden - Reidland
2nd Region: David Joiner - Christian County
3rd Region: George Randolph - Owensboro Catholic/John Embry - Butler County
4th Region: Penny Reece - Greenwood
5th Region: Robin Milby - Green County
6th Region: Megan Miller - Pleasure Ridge Park
7th Region: Bob Wheatley - Sacred Heart
8th Region: Steve Leanhart - Oldham County
9th Region: Patti Oliverio - Ryle
10th Region: Bart Rison - Montgomery County
11th Region: Tracey Spickard - Franklin County/ Dana Taylor - Lafayette
12th Region: Stephen Lyons - Mercer County
13th Region: David Halcomb - Whitley County
14th Region: David Faulkner - Powell County
15th Region: Sanford Holbrook - Magoffin County
16th Region: Dave Miller - Ashland Blazer

Players of the Year:

1st Region: Kristin Boggess - Calloway County
2nd Region: Griffin Joiner - Christian County
3rd Region: Cheyanne Gaskey - Butler County
4th Region: Kelsi Pardue - Allen County-Scottsville
5th Region: Andrea Whelan - North Hardin
6th Region: Kelsey Hicks - Butler
7th Region: Kayla Fairley - Ballard
8th Region: Jenalee Ginn - Walton-Verona
9th Region: Haylee Smith - Ryle
10th Region: Erin Charles - Montgomery County
11th Region: Alyssa Oakley - Lafayette/Tanner Tevis - Scott County
12th Region: Lindsey Stephens - Pulaski County
13th Region: Gloriann Cordero - North Laurel/Caitlin Walden - Whitley County
14th Region: Kayla Stambaugh - Jenkins
15th Region: Sarah Williams - Johnson Central
16th Region: Kaitlin Miller - Ashland Blazer

I thought players of the year had to be Seniors. That is the way it is in basketball.
I have to agree with the 14th Region
I guess that is one thing me and you can disagree on. Coach Adams almost died from a heart attack, and these girls have really been through a lot. From what they went through last year and this year they have really gotten through the bad times. This team is now in place to get this program to new heights. We have a lot coming back and from what I heard a great feeder program.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

^ I actually did disagree with it until I saw Powell's Schedule and what made me agree with them is that they had beaten Letcher twice during the Regular Season both by 4+ Runs. I'm border line on disagreeing and agreeing with the Selection
Whitney Back is BY FAR the BEST PLAYER in the 14th Region. Without her, Perry would of won about 2 or 3 games. She carried the team on her back all year long. Beat Jenkins by herself. What a crock.
who does these and what are they based on?
The school must join the Kentucky Softball Coaches Association to be eligible for the award. Most local high schools do not belong to the Association.
Strikeout King Wrote:who does these and what are they based on?

I think that the coaches in each region that are members of the Kentucky Softball Coaches Association choose the coach and player of the year. According to http://www.kyhighschoolsoftball.com only 3 head coaches and 4 assistants in the 14th region are members of the KSCA.
Members:

Head Coaches:

Shirley Beard (Estill County)

April Charles (Jenkins)

David Faulkner (Powell County)

Assistant Coaches:

Victoria Barnett (Estill County)
Lauren Rader (Estill County)

Rick Damron (Jenkins)

James Cook (Powell County)
They must have different rules then the KABC because in basketball you have to be a Senior to win any player of the year awards. The reason I said this is Stambaugh is not a Senior. With that being said, I do not have a problem with her winning as she is a heckuva player. Whitney Back was too inconsistent and she was only a Sophomore. Being the best player for Perry Central doesn't qualify you as being the best player in the 14th region.
Congratulations to Kayla Stambaugh! She had a great season pitching and playing third base, as well as setting a new state record for stolen bases! Look forward to seeing what Jenkins can do next year!:Thumbs:
Now I see why Stambaugh won the award seeing who all voted. I do think Stambaugh is an excellent player though but Whitney Back is just too dang good not to get the award. Shes a better hitter, pitcher, and fielder than Stambaugh. I understand how favoritism works. Whitney Back is not only the BEST player on her TEAM, she is better than every other PLAYER in the ENTIRE REGION plain and simple.
I have seen Whitney Back play several times and she is a good player but she wouldn't be the best player on Jenkins, Letcher Central, Estill County, Powell County or Breathitt County. She primarily pitches every game for PCC and they have had two straight losing seasons. If she was that devastating of a pitcher, they should at least made it to .500 and won the district against Leslie County. Their only glory was an upset win over Jenkins in the regional tournament but that was short lived thanks to Powell County. Jenkins and Stambaugh are proven winners when it comes to softball. Both Letcher County softball teams are head and shoulders above the Lady Commodores due to continuing to have winning seasons and winning back to back 14th regional championships.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I have seen Whitney Back play several times and she is a good player but she wouldn't be the best player on Jenkins, Letcher Central, Estill County, Powell County or Breathitt County. She primarily pitches every game for PCC and they have had two straight losing seasons. If she was that devastating of a pitcher, they should at least made it to .500 and won the district against Leslie County. Their only glory was an upset win over Jenkins in the regional tournament but that was short lived thanks to Powell County. Jenkins and Stambaugh are proven winners when it comes to softball. Both Letcher County softball teams are head and shoulders above the Lady Commodores due to continuing to have winning seasons and winning back to back 14th regional championships.

and the scary part is that all the Top Teams Jenkins, LCC, Estill, Powell, Breathitt and PCC only lose a couple of players.

Estill loses 4 but they get 8 Freshman that went 56-10 during there Middle School Career. I'm not sure what the others have coming in

14th Region Should be very interesting Next Year. Region is at Powell County

LCC loses 3

PCC loses 2

Breathitt loses 1

Jenkins loses 3

Powell loses 2
Orange to be honest with you I really don't know that much about the Middle school softball program. What can you tell us about the team and the upcoming players that will be on the cougars squad. I know you can't count the Mckayley Johnson who is a eighth grader and was MVP of the regional tournament, but who else has promise?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I do not know specifically who is good but it is my understanding that they had a good middle school team. They probably will start at least three Freshmen next year and maybe more on their varsity. Some of the grade school players could not play high school as they were holdbacks.
Did the middle school softball team play a full schedule?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I have no clue.
Bumper Adams of LCC should of been the Coach of the year in the 14th. How do you not vote for a man that takes his team to the state tournament with a group of girls that were not supposed to be there. He made it through a health problem that should of killed him and he was using a back up pitcher because he had lost his ace do to personal problems. If this does not win you a coach of the year award what will??? That being said I personally know Bumper and he could actually care the less about personal awards and is just fine with someone else getting it. He would choose 100% of the time for his girls to be playing in Owensboro over getting a coach of the year award. Bumper the fans of Letcher County view you as the coach of the year and we are lucky to have you coaching our girls. Go Cougars!!!!!
Lambert #1 Wrote:Bumper Adams of LCC should of been the Coach of the year in the 14th. How do you not vote for a man that takes his team to the state tournament with a group of girls that were not supposed to be there. He made it through a health problem that should of killed him and he was using a back up pitcher because he had lost his ace do to personal problems. If this does not win you a coach of the year award what will??? That being said I personally know Bumper and he could actually care the less about personal awards and is just fine with someone else getting it. He would choose 100% of the time for his girls to be playing in Owensboro over getting a coach of the year award. Bumper the fans of Letcher County view you as the coach of the year and we are lucky to have you coaching our girls. Go Cougars!!!!!

He also lost his starting shortstop from last year to an ACL injury during basketball season. Annie Boggs did a tremendous job stepping in and playing that position.
Orange now Blue seems to me that you are a little jeolous of Perry Centrals Basketball success. Whitney Back is better than every single player in the region. She would be the best player on Jenkins team. If she played for Jenkins, she wouldnt have to pitch every game now would she? She'd also have a much better defense behind her if she pitched for Jenkins. Whitney is the best, cant help it she has NO HELP at Perry Central. They beat Jenkins though didnt they? With a very bad team. Won the game that mattered most.
Warmachine I think we won the game when it matters because we are still playing. I am going to leave it at that, but no more fuzzing on who got what. We are playing in the state championship and we will take that more than a award. I don't speak for the ladies that are on there way to Owensboro right now, but if you ask them I would almost bet money they wouldn't have it any other way. GO COUGARS!!! Again congrats to all who got the awards both coaches and players.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

warmachine Wrote:Orange now Blue seems to me that you are a little jeolous of Perry Centrals Basketball success. Whitney Back is better than every single player in the region. She would be the best player on Jenkins team. If she played for Jenkins, she wouldnt have to pitch every game now would she? She'd also have a much better defense behind her if she pitched for Jenkins. Whitney is the best, cant help it she has NO HELP at Perry Central. They beat Jenkins though didnt they? With a very bad team. Won the game that mattered most.

LOL. Got to bring basketball to a softball fight. I guess you are grasping at straws. I guess that is the only girls sport that PCC can be any good at so it has to be brought in to every discussion. She is without a doubt a good player who could start on any team but stating she is better then every player is a joke. Actually the game that mattered most would have been the regional championship which they didn't make due to a roadblock called Powell County. We can argue about who is or is not the best player but that is purely speculation and opinion, nothing factual. The only factual statement right now is: Letcher County Central Lady Cougars 2011 14th Region Softball Champions.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:LOL. Got to bring basketball to a softball fight. I guess you are grasping at straws. I guess that is the only girls sport that PCC can be any good at so it has to be brought in to every discussion. She is without a doubt a good player who could start on any team but stating she is better then every player is a joke. Actually the game that mattered most would have been the regional championship which they didn't make due to a roadblock called Powell County. We can argue about who is or is not the best player but that is purely speculation and opinion, nothing factual. The only factual statement right now is: Letcher County Central Lady Cougars 2011 14th Region Softball Champions.

:Thumbs:TongueirateSho:Cheerlead:rockon::1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!