Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 42 Campbell County 2
Final Score.
A safety is a good way to stop the shut-out, but that is like putting a band-aid on after decapitation.
Way to go Colonels
ALEXANDRIA – Covington Catholic was nothing less than dominant on offense in the first half of its season-opening game at Campbell County Friday night and the Colonels cruised to a 42-2 win over the Camels.
The Colonels scored touchdowns on each of their five first-half possessions, four times through the air, and led the Camels 35-0 at halftime.

read more at

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201.../312180057

CovCath 7-28-7-0--42
Campbell Co. 0-0-0-2--2

CovCath-Mader 14 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
CovCath-Gray 7 run (Talkers kick)
CovCath-Massie 16 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
CovCath-McDowell 11 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
CovCath-Mader 47 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
CovCath-Dressman 1 run (Talkers kick)
CampbellCo-Safety.
Records: CovCath 1-0, Campbell Co. 0-1.
I was wrong on my prediction Sad

I said it would be a running clock
congrats to CC
Stardust Wrote:I was wrong on my prediction Sad

Cov Cath that good, Campbell that bad, or combination of both?
Stardust Wrote:I was wrong on my prediction Sad

Well, atleast the Camels managed to find a way to put points on the board! :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I would say that Cov Cath is that good.... May sneak up on Highlands this year or Johnson Central.
bac2369 Wrote:I would say that Cov Cath is that good.... May sneak up on Highlands this year or Johnson Central.

They will never sneak up on the Birds, that game is always circled on the calender
sstack Wrote:Cov Cath that good, Campbell that bad, or combination of both?

bac2369 Wrote:I would say that Cov Cath is that good.... May sneak up on Highlands this year or Johnson Central.

Campbell County moved the ball effectively against CCH, but made too many mistakes in execution. The Camels first three drives were very effective, but just stalled out. So, a team like HHS will have no problems at all putting points on the board. I was not impressed with the Colonels defense as much as I was disappointed in the Camels O.

Defensively, the Camels are young and small, but they make up for it by being SLOW!Confusedhh: CCH scored TD's on their first five possessions, but relied on the pass to do so. Every drive, they had critical dropped passes. A team with a good defense would have made them pay for those errors. The Camels defense really is not ready for any top tier team at this stage of the year.
Stardust Wrote:Campbell County moved the ball effectively against CCH, but made too many mistakes in execution. The Camels first three drives were very effective, but just stalled out. So, a team like HHS will have no problems at all putting points on the board. I was not impressed with the Colonels defense as much as I was disappointed in the Camels O.

Defensively, the Camels are young and small, but they make up for it by being SLOW!Confusedhh: CCH scored TD's on their first five possessions, but relied on the pass to do so. Every drive, they had critical dropped passes. A team with a good defense would have made them pay for those errors. The Camels defense really is not ready for any top tier team at this stage of the year.

I completely agree with you on this one Stardust. But with it being the first game of the regular season, these types of mistakes are expected from both teams. Campbell is a young team, but after a few games under their belt I can see them starting to compete. They will learn to capitilize at the end of an offensive drive as well. The Colonels I thought played well overall. There were some mistakes, but those few dropped passes can be fixed also. I wouldn't say that they relied on the passing game though. Yes they had 4 passing touchdowns and 232 yards, but Gabe Gray ran for 100 yards on 16 carries. Bir scrambled a few times. Bobby Beatrice was injured but got some yards. Cov Cath had 364 total offensive yards or something like that. They could have easily put up 500-600, but every time that they got the ball, they started in Campbell County territory.

Congrats to CCH on the victory. Next week should be an entertaining game to watch as they play Dixie for the battle of Colonel Highway.
lwc Wrote:a safety is a good way to stop the shut-out, but that is like putting a band-aid on after decapitation.
lol!!!!
ALEXANDRIA, Ky. - This wasn't how Steve Lickert pictured his first game at the helm of the Camels.

The new Campbell County coach saw his squad overwhelmed by Covington Catholic, 42-2, on Friday night the Pyramid, getting the Lickert era off to a disappointing start.

"Yeah, not how we envisioned it," said Lickert, who moved from Holmes to the Camels over the offseason, taking over a team that finished 6-6 last year, but only returned a handful of starters.

Yet, he took it philosophically.

"I've been here before, I've had young teams," he continued. "When you look, all but couple of our kids, this was their first varsity game. And to play CovCath in their first game? That's tough."

The Colonels made it tough indeed, recovering from a shaky start — a nearly fumbled lateral on the first play from scrimmage — to roll to a 35-0 halftime lead, scoring on all five of their possessions.

After the near-mishap, senior Gabe Gray found an edge around the left side of the line for a 35-yard run and the Colonels started rolling. Junior quarterback Blake Bir capped off the drive with a 13-yard pass to a wide-open Charlie Mader alone in the end zone to put the Colonels up, 7-0.

Gray followed that up with an eight-yard scamper in the second quarter on CovCath's next possession before Bir went for the Camels' jugular. He connected on three more scoring strikes to three different receivers, the last a 47-yard pass and run by Mader up the right side of the defense with 1:33 left in the half.

"Once we got rolling, it just kept coming," said Bir, who finished the night with 233 passing yards and four touchdowns, completing 14-of-20 attempts. He also ran for 21 yards. "They were concerned about the run, and were playing the flats, so the middle was wide open. We took it."

The Colonels added one last score on a one-yard rumble by reserve quarterback Sam Dressman as the third quarter waned.

Mader's night included three catches for 72 yards, while fellow seniors Mitch McDowell and Clint Massie both added a pair of catches and a touchdown apiece. Gray finished with 108 rushing yards on 16 carries to go with his score and a 47-yard kickoff return to start the second half. Along with his 35-yarder on CovCath's first possession, he also broke off a 49-yard run to open the Colonels' next drive.

"Gabe's our spark plug," said CovCath coach Dave Wirth. "He ignites us. With Blake back there, too, we've got a two-headed monster. People can't just focus on the running game, they can't focus on passing. They've got to worry about what we can do either way."

Campbell County was held to just 108 yards in the first half, losing yards on half of their drives. The Camels finished with only 249 yards of offense on the night, yet was able to spoil the the CovCath shutout when an errant snap went over Dressman's head with just three minutes left in the game.

Junior quarterback Tyler Durham led the way for the Camels, doing most of his damage on the ground. He rushed for 101 yards on 12 carries. Fellow signal caller Tyler Walsh led the Campbell passing effort with seven completions for 55 yards.

"We've got to keep growing," said Lickert, sizing up the season ahead. "Great players make plays, and we weren't able to make them tonight. We have kids who have the ability to be great players. They just haven't reached their potential yet."
nkyfootball81 Wrote:I completely agree with you on this one Stardust. But with it being the first game of the regular season, these types of mistakes are expected from both teams. Campbell is a young team, but after a few games under their belt I can see them starting to compete. They will learn to capitilize at the end of an offensive drive as well. The Colonels I thought played well overall. There were some mistakes, but those few dropped passes can be fixed also. I wouldn't say that they relied on the passing game though. Yes they had 4 passing touchdowns and 232 yards, but Gabe Gray ran for 100 yards on 16 carries. Bir scrambled a few times. Bobby Beatrice was injured but got some yards. Cov Cath had 364 total offensive yards or something like that. They could have easily put up 500-600, but every time that they got the ball, they started in Campbell County territory.

Congrats to CCH on the victory. Next week should be an entertaining game to watch as they play Dixie for the battle of Colonel Highway.

EASILY:Thumbs:

At times it looked like a video game! And no way that kicker looks for a scholarship for both football and soccer. FORGET soccer, this kid, if concentrating on football alone, could be kicking on Sunday afternoons!
Maybe Stardust can answer this but Campbell County is a bigger school isnt it?
So, with teams like Cov Cath, which is obviously private and probably steals a lot of kids from Campbell, as well as Highlands who is "public" and other good nky teams, cant Campbell County find a way to get better and have better players to compete with.
CCH is Kenton county, so they do not compete for the same kids that go to CCHS or HHS. But in Kenton Coynty, it is open enrollment. Thus, if you are an athlete and want to play a specific sport, you are free to pack up and head to CCH from anywhere in the county as long as you are willing to provide your transportation. And you certainly get that at the All-Boys school.

It's a level of commitment and desire that emanates from the youth programs through the school administration and that has lacked for several years. Could Campbell County be better> Yes! Are the committed to it? Well, that's a question that has been around for a long, long time.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Maybe Stardust can answer this but Campbell County is a bigger school isnt it?
So, with teams like Cov Cath, which is obviously private and probably steals a lot of kids from Campbell, as well as Highlands who is "public" and other good nky teams, cant Campbell County find a way to get better and have better players to compete with.

I do not think many kids from Campbell Co. go to Cov Cath. I would be surprised if they have 1-2 kids from Campbell Co. Most of their kids I would say are from Kenton Co where the school is located. Just like most kids at Beechwood are from Ft. Mitchell, and most Highlands kids are from Ft. Thomas, contrary to what alot around the state want to think.

And, yes Campbell is bigger. It has always been questioned around NKY why Campbell Co. football is not better than it is. The do lose some kids to the catholic schools in the county (NCC and Brossart), but I would say most kids in Campbell county district, go to campbell co. They have a newer school (although they are already outgrowing it) and are starting on building new sports facilities. Do not see why they can't be better.
^ Coach Lickert has a system that will work and it will. But, to judge Friday's game is not fair. The Camel team on the field this year will be made up of Sophomores and Juniors with very little Varsity experience. So, this will be a team that improves week after week and once they become Seniors, they will compete!
Give the Camels so time. Things are moving in the positive with improvements being made at all levels
Stardust Wrote:EASILY:Thumbs:

At times it looked like a video game! And no way that kicker looks for a scholarship for both football and soccer. FORGET soccer, this kid, if concentrating on football alone, could be kicking on Sunday afternoons!

A video game could be a good comparison!:lmao:

That kicker is brutal isn't he? That's why I had asked earlier if you had heard about that special teams duo. You saw what Talkers can do as a kicker. You didn't get to see what McDowell could do in the punting game. I noticed he was kicking a few at half time and he was 5 yards in the endzone putting a few on the opposite 45 yard line. They both could go play college football, I believe D1, but not sure how big they could go. What would you think Stardust? Were you able to get a glance at McDowell punting and Talkers kicking back and forth to each other at half time? I don't really look into how they would compare to a college level kicker and punter.
^ I did not get the chance to watch the punter, but I'm a believer in the kicker!
Stardust Wrote:It's a level of commitment and desire that emanates from the youth programs through the school administration and that has lacked for several years. Could Campbell County be better> Yes! Are the committed to it? Well, that's a question that has been around for a long, long time.
I go back to 1976, myself. No sign of it back then, unfortunately, and every time it looks like the climate has started to change for the better, it changes instead for the worse.:HitWall:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/330569/mitch-mcdowell

^There is a link to his highlight films from his junior season. He's tacked on about 10 more yards to his average punt since last season, but he hasn't had to punt yet.

You may have to install Silverlight to view his films if you have an older computer. It's a perfectly safe software. It's identical to Quicktime player.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I go back to 1976, myself. No sign of it back then, unfortunately, and every time it looks like the climate has started to change for the better, it changes instead for the worse.:HitWall:

It's something in the water. In '82, it was Zeke's dad Mark that ended a very promising season, and it took ten years for the team to recover. This has just never been a school to every find a way over the hump. I'd swear that Mike Brown has some connection to CCHS and that curse lives with us!