Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thieves took unlocked cars in Cold Spring
COLD SPRING – Police are noting that four vehicles taken overnight in Cold Spring were all unlocked with the keys left somewhere inside.

All of Northern Kentucky is being targeted, and there have also been cars taken where the keys were left inside in Fort Thomas and Highland Heights, said Cold Spring Police Chief Ed Burk.

“It’s not just us, it’s just we got hit hard last night,” Burk said.

The vehicles taken overnight in Cold Spring were from three different subdivisions, he said.

“The information is out on the street, go to Northern Kentucky, you can find cars because people leave keys in them,” he said.

The four vehicles from Cold Spring were taken from residents in the city sometime between 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11, and 6 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12, according to a news release from the Cold Spring Police Department.

According to the news release, it appears thieves are targeting cars left unlocked and are looking for the keys left inside in order to steal them.

Police are asking residents to call 911 or the county police dispatch at 859-292-3622 immediately to investigate if they notice someone lurking around vehicles, someone walking in the neighborhood at unusual hours of the night or if they notice something out of place or “odd.”

To help combat the thefts, police are also asking people to lock their vehicles, removed any valuables, to not leave keys in a car and to turn on any exterior house lights to increase visibility on the streets and reduce the areas thieves can hide, according to the news release.

The Alexandria Police Department has issued an alert because of the thefts reminding people to lock their car doors.

The alert from police in Alexandria contained this cautionary message, “The perpetrator(s) are not forcing their way into the vehicles, but entering unlocked vehicles. They are finding unsecured cars, stealing contents, and actually stealing the car if the keys are found inside. You are reminded to please lock your car! Do not leave the keys inside nor leave items of value within sigh
I blame this on the owners. I know there shouldn't be any thieves but they are, If you don't won't your vehicle stolen, don't leave the it unlocked especially with the keys in it!
^Cant argue with that point Strikeout King.. I have to say though, I am guilty of leaving my car running when I go into a store sometimes to get a quick snack or something to drink.