Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ky. Capitol chapel gets face-lift
FRANKFORT — A little-known part of the state Capitol — its chapel — is undergoing a needed renovation with private funding, thanks to the efforts of a legislator who was surprised to learn that the space even existed.

Rep. Martha Jane King, D-Lewisburg, said she discovered the inconspicuous, nondenominational chapel on the Capitol’s second floor a few weeks into her first term in 2009 and began using it as a refuge from the hubbub on the third floor, where the House and Senate chambers are located.

“I find great solace there,” King said. “You can go down to the second floor and kind of get away from all the noise and all the legislators, especially if you have a vote you’re concerned about.”

She said she was surprised that in contrast with the grandeur of other spaces in the 1910 Capitol, the chapel “was in pretty rough shape.”

A blue velvet curtain that covered the walls was stained and tattered. Ceiling tiles were mismatched. Other than new carpeting in 2006, no improvements had been made in more than 40 years.

King raised the issue with legislative staff members, one of whom was a member of the Frankfort Kiwanis Clubs. The Kiwanis raised funds to create the chapel in the early 1960s.

Thus was born the idea to renovate the chapel, with the Frankfort and East Frankfort Kiwanis clubs helping to raise a few thousand dollars in private funds for the job.

“I didn’t want any problem with the fact that we had a chapel in the Capitol,” King said. “I did not want state monies funding the renovation.”

Michael Aldridge, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky, said he also was surprised to learn that the Capitol contains a chapel but saw no problem as long as it was made available to all.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...|FRONTPAGE
I for one have no issue with NO separation of Church and State!
[Image: http://cmsimg.nky.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bil...-face-lift]
A view of the Capitol chapel that is being renovated at the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort, Kentucky
No seperation of church and state will always, always end up with one group/religion being preferred over another. History has shown that, over and over. The Free Masons got it right. You had to believe in a God (officially), but it could be any God you choose. That worked great for their time.

The Knights Templar, secretly, had the same sort of belief system.