Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day care worker charged with taping child to a mat
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...news|text|

LUDLOW — A day care worker has been charged with taping a toddler to a mat during nap time.

Alicia Lyons, 20, was arrested Wednesday night and charged with first-degree criminal abuse. She was released from the Kenton County jail Thursday morning.

Ludlow police chief Wayne Turner said the parent of a toddler who attended Mustard Seeds Child Care, at 318 Oak St., told police Wednesday that their child was taped to a mat. The incident at the end of October when the toddler was about 18 months old, Turner said.

According to the incident report, “Lyons and another worker duct taped a child to a sleeping mat in order to get him to go to sleep.”

The report also states that Lyons that admitted in an interview to “taping the child to a mat to get him to calm down.”

After learning about the alleged offense, police notified the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Turner said.

Lyons was fired from the day care center Thursday, Turner said. In her application for a public defender, Lyons said she made $8 an hour at the day care and had worked there for about five months.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Rob Sanders said that the investigation is continuing.

“Additional charges against this defendant and possibly other suspects have not been ruled out,” Sanders said.

In a statement released through spokesman Pat Crowley, the center said it is cooperating with police and state officials.

“This is an unfortunate, yet isolated incident,” the statement said. “Management of the day care facility said that such an act violates the company’s written policy and training procedures. The company is now purchasing video camera equipment for all three of its locations to prevent such acts in the future.”

The statement also said the Lyons passed all state background checks when she was hired in August.

The day care center also reported the incident to the Kentucky Office of the Inspector General, the state office in charge of regulating day care facilities.

The center has one complaint within the last year, according to the office. In November, a surveyor conducting a complaint investigation discovered that there were too many 3- to 4-year-olds for one teacher. The surveyor observed 15 children with one teacher. The limit is 12 children.

The day care center, which has been in business for three years, accepts children from six weeks to 12 years, according to its website. It also has locations in Covington and Florence.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...news|text|
Wow
You mean I can't duct tape kids down when their not taking a nap? Who Knew?
Next thing you're going to tell me I can't lock them in a dog kennel either
Sad. There always have been and will be idiots in this world.
First problem I see is the name of the day care.....Mustard Seeds???

Also, it says someone helped her do it. Wonder why they weren't mentioned?
nky Wrote:Wow

I'm not sure that you can't like them in kennels!!!

[Image: http://granades.com/wordpress/wp-content...g-cage.jpg]

[Image: http://www.voont.com/files/images/guide/parent/cage.jpg]
This is why ill never send my kids to a daycare.
Does anyone honestly believe that a woman making 8 dollars an hour is going to give two craps about your child and watch him or her right?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is why ill never send my kids to a daycare.
Does anyone honestly believe that a woman making 8 dollars an hour is going to give two craps about your child and watch him or her right?

Umm, I'm a daycare owner. That is completely an inaccurate statement!Confusedtare:
Sending my kids to daycare has been a great experience.
nky Wrote:Wow

that's interesting you brought that up, that did happen in Covington several years ago. Lady locked her grand-children or children in a dog kennel in the place across the street from the police.
Stardust Wrote:Umm, I'm a daycare owner. That is completely an inaccurate statement!Confusedtare:

Come to Corbin and see if youll then agree with me.

There have been so many cases of child abuse at day cares around here its not funny.

Also, a woman who worked at a day care had a baby....she then proceeded to stuff it in the garbage can and left it for dead.
She is now in prison for murder.

Im not saying all are bad but i wont take the chance.

The views on daycares might be different in other parts of the state, but the day cares around here are a complete joke.
^ Are are regulated by the state. All must adhere to pretty aggressive rules and regulations. And all are inspected by the state! And trust me, inspections are NOT just "routine"! There are more stringent ratios requirements and food preparation rules for daycares than the schools are held to!
Someone would take a beating for this.
Stardust Wrote:^ Are are regulated by the state. All must adhere to pretty aggressive rules and regulations. And all are inspected by the state! And trust me, inspections are NOT just "routine"! There are more stringent ratios requirements and food preparation rules for daycares than the schools are held to!

Yup, there all "suppose" to, but lets just say im pretty in the know of most day cares around here do to the fact i had a family member work at 3 of them. She left all three because of the things that were going on.

If only you could hear the things tha were said about the day cares around here on the net.
^ I truly hope that your family turned them into the state, because the state comes in to invesitigate EVERY complaint!
^
It is law that if you work there and see such behavior, you have to turn them in :biggrin:
toussaints Wrote:that's interesting you brought that up, that did happen in Covington several years ago. Lady locked her grand-children or children in a dog kennel in the place across the street from the police.
It did. Parents kept kid in dog cage as a way of trying to change his behavior
Dusty will know this and i think i am right, but isnt it law that if you work at a daycare and walk out on the job and quit before someone else comes in you can be arrested?
For example, if you get mad and quit you have to wait so that someone else can come to relieve you because there has to be so many workers for however many children are in each room or age group.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dusty will know this and i think i am right, but isnt it law that if you work at a daycare and walk out on the job and quit before someone else comes in you can be arrested?
For example, if you get mad and quit you have to wait so that someone else can come to relieve you because there has to be so many workers for however many children are in each room or age group.

No, it's not a law. It's the daycare's responsibility to to staff appropriately. I'm pretty confident that an in-home daycare would have some type of liability if the caretaker left the children unattended.
^
I see.

I had heard it would fall into the employees hands if they left the child unattended, because in some daycares around here that are 24 hours, the owner isnt always there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I see.

I had heard it would fall into the employees hands if they left the child unattended, because in some daycares around here that are 24 hours, the owner isnt always there.

It has nothing to do with the owner being there as much as it does with the Center being staffed. Even a 24 hour center must have more than one person on-site and it's always required to be a State Certified Director
That is hilarious...
Sooooooooooooooooooo..............

I just had this link sent to me. I saw the thread here but didn't open as the topic didn't really interest me.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...........................

I know the owner of the Day Care extremely well. Went to college with her, she married my fraternity brother and former room mate. Hell, I even spent a night at their house in NKY once after college.

Ain't that some shit. HAHA
^ As you could see though, this is about the worker! It's not likely that the owners will have any charges brought against them
Stardust Wrote:^ As you could see though, this is about the worker! It's not likely that the owners will have any charges brought against them

It is...but the Ludlow daycare has been shut down and a lawsuit would more than likely focus on the owners. If nothing else, the negative press generated by this is a financial killer. No matter how you cut it, they are about to suffer a significant financial hit and stress as a direct result.