Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WKY: Area teams hope to compete for another state championship
Allen County-Scottsville’s softball team hopes it can continue the recent fortune of area teams, but a few Warren County squads figure they’re just as likely to make some noise this season.
In the last five seasons, Region 4 has produced three state champions, including ACS’ first state title in school history last season.
Allen County still has enough weapons to make a run at another state crown. The Lady Patriots return five starters from last year’s team, which finished 41-4 and won a third straight region title, including senior pitcher Kelsi Pardue. ACS was tabbed as the No. 1 team in the state in the preseason coaches poll.
“We have some real quality players coming back,” ACS coach Rick Roberts said. “We are hoping we can mix in some of the girls who got some playing time last year. As far as the target, that was our first state title and it took 100 years to get there. Really, there is no pressure. We’re going try to play really great ball, get better every day, and see what we can do in the end.”
Pardue, a Western Kentucky signee, went 34-3 last season and was the Class 2A player of the year and state tournament MVP.
“You have to have a great pitcher to make any kind of run in the postseason,” Roberts said. “She is just a real worker. She worked all year on her pitching. She looks real good. She has command of five or six pitches. She looks like she might pick up where she left off.”
Junior Micaela Atwell, who transferred from Greenwood, could spell Pardue on the mound and could provide offensive pop. Seniors Emily Doss and Sandy Young and sophomore Katie Young also return.
ACS’s biggest threat to a region crown will likely come from District 14.
Greenwood won the regular season district crown, but stumbled in the District 14 tournament final, losing to Bowling Green in 13 innings.
The Lady Gators have no seniors, but return eight starters, including sophomore pitcher Elizabeth Moss.
“We don’t feel like we got beat (the district final),” Greenwood coach Penny Reece said. “We feel like we beat ourselves. We just didn’t adjust. That showed our immaturity. These juniors and sophomores now have a couple of years of varsity experience under their belt. I think you will see a much different approach from these kids.”
Bowling Green also returns eight starters, and adds junior Kathryn Downing, who missed last season with a knee injury. Downing will slide in at first base and also share pitching duties with junior MacKenzie Brumit who had a breakout season in 2011 filling in for the injured Downing.
“I can’t say enough about MacKenzie Brumit’s effort last year,” BG coach Lisa Correa said. “She pitched every ball and helped bring the school its first district championship. She shouldered a lot of the responsibility. She went out and did a great job for us.”
Greenwood and Bowling Green will be challenged in District 14 by Warren East, which went 15-13 last season, a South Warren team looking to improve in the program’s second year, and Warren Central, which will have its third head coach in as many years.
“I said this district was getting stronger and stronger,” Reece said. “I’m also very proud that the state champion came from this region again. As far as our district, we’re not that dominating team. You have Bowling Green, Warren East returning a good solid team. It’s going to be a dogfight, but we’ve put together probably the toughest schedule I’ve put together since the 2007 season.”
Correa said that competition stretches throughout the season and should make for an interesting season for players and fans.
“I love the competitiveness of our region,” Correa said. “I think it makes the games exciting. It’s fun to go out there and play those games. It makes coaching in the fourth region fun.”
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/area-t...963f4.html
[Image: http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews....ew-300.jpg]Allen County-Scottsville celebrates becoming the 2011 KHSAA State Softball Champions on Saturday after defeating Ballard 3-2 in the final game of the KHSAA State Softball Championships at Jack C. Fisher Park in Owensboro. (Photo by Pete Rodman/Daily News)