Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State auditor calls culture in Richie Farmer's Ag Department "toxic"
Quote:State Auditor Adam Edelen today released a special examination of the administration of the former Commissioner of Agriculture Richie Farmer. Edelen says his investigation found a toxic culture of entitlement and self-dealing at Kentucky taxpayers’ expense.

"There was a culture that existed in the agency that provided a hostile work environment," Adam Edelen said, while addressing the media. He continued "We have documented instances of where employees have been punished for trying to do the right thing."

State Auditor Edelen says during his tenure as the AG Commission, Richie Farmer had no qualms about treating taxpayer money as his own. The report released today chronicles state employees who say the regularly worked at farmer's home on state time--including pouring concrete for a basketball court and moving a gun safe to a basement.

"There was a calculated effort to run the office to the benefit of Commissioner Farmer," Edelen said. "People who got in the way tended to be punished."

Farmer also reportedly also told employees to drive him to shop and hunt. In one case, they allege Farmer illegally shot a deer from the cab of a state issued truck and then had an employee bag it for him.

"Not only is it illegal, it's in really, really bad form for anyone who considers themselves a kentucky sportsman, which I do," Edelen said.

The audit also reports Farmer directed staff to fill Kentucky Proud Christmas baskets that he gave his own family, had employees chauffer the family dog from Louisville to a family home and spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on everything from travel to dinners, drinks and cigars.

Edelen says criminal charges shouldn't be out of the question.

While farmer never participated in the audit, his attorney says much of what was said today was news to him.

J. Guthrie True said "They've been so vigilant about keeping the subject matter of the audit confidential. Although there are things we could have guessed at, there are a number of issues in the audit that this is the first I've heard."

Guthrie also says that this audit was politically motivated.

All while current Commissioner James Comer says the findings were shocking and a distraction.

"I'm not gonna lie-- this was like raising the Titanic," Comer said while taking questions from the media. "I will say that with the help of the auditor and the conclusion here today, we can move forward."

The report will be referred to the Kentucky Attorney General, Executive Branch Ethics Commission, IRS, Kentucky Department of Revenue, Office of Inspector General of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Personnel Board.

“The law makes no distinction between icons and the rest of us, and neither do I,” Edelen said. “The report paints a clear picture of an administration that had no qualms about treating taxpayer resources as its own. The former commissioner had state employees on state time take him hunting and shopping, mow his yard, build a basketball court in his backyard, and even chauffer his dog. He showered himself with gifts and office equipment and rewarded friends with jobs. These are just some of the documented abuses that should outrage every Kentuckian.”

The exam details a conference hosted by the former commissioner that cost Kentucky taxpayers more than $96,000; multiple instances of misuse of department resources and state employees for personal benefit; questionable spending of state and federal dollars, including tobacco settlement money; time sheet and travel reimbursement abuses by employees who had close relationships with the former commissioner, numerous merit system abuses; and several management issues.

Edelen announced his plans to audit the former KDA administration in January at the request of newly-elected KDA Commissioner James Comer, who wanted to restore morale within the department and ensure the integrity of its operations. KDA employees had come forward with troubling allegations involving the administration of Comer’s predecessor.

The department has roughly 300 employees and a total annual budget of $38 million.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/State...57505.html
Just read this story today Stuff like this is why the american people get feed up with politics. And the sad part is Farmer could have had that position forever.
What a dumbass...
What county does ole "Rich" come from?

What county has the most politicians in federal prison ?

The answer: CLAY COUNTY

Why does this surprise anyone.
I wonder what would have happened had Williams and Farmer won the race for Govenor...
OrangenowBlue Wrote:What county does ole "Rich" come from?

Keeping up with Clay County huh?
OrangenowBlue Wrote:What county does ole "Rich" come from?

Kentucky comes in ranked 44. Only six states run worst than ours.

> State debt per capita: $3,107 (23rd lowest)
> Pct. without health insurance: 15.3% (20th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 18.2% (4th highest)
> Unemployment: 9.7% (13th highest)

Last year, 24/7 Wall St. named Kentucky the worst-run state in the country. The state saw slight improvements in the percentage of its population with high school diplomas and poverty rate. Violent crime dropped significantly — now the 10th-lowest rate in the country, compared to the 17th-lowest last year. Despite these improvements, Kentucky remains one of the poorest states in the country, ranking among the five worst for median income and poverty rate. It is also one of just four states to be awarded an unfavorable AA- credit rating, the third worst score awarded to any state.

Point your finger at Clay County all you want. Even though this report does not rank states by "crookedness", I think the ranking is relevant to it. Kentucky has been known as the state of "Good Ole Boys Politics" for a long time.

I admit Clay County has it's problems. I wouldn't be foolish enough to point my finger at Clay County, no matter the county I lived in. You've got the crooks in your county too my friend, they're just getting away with it.

THE WHOLE DAMN STATE IS TOXIC!
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Kentucky comes in ranked 44. Only six states run worst than ours.

> State debt per capita: $3,107 (23rd lowest)
> Pct. without health insurance: 15.3% (20th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 18.2% (4th highest)
> Unemployment: 9.7% (13th highest)

Last year, 24/7 Wall St. named Kentucky the worst-run state in the country. The state saw slight improvements in the percentage of its population with high school diplomas and poverty rate. Violent crime dropped significantly — now the 10th-lowest rate in the country, compared to the 17th-lowest last year. Despite these improvements, Kentucky remains one of the poorest states in the country, ranking among the five worst for median income and poverty rate. It is also one of just four states to be awarded an unfavorable AA- credit rating, the third worst score awarded to any state.

Point your finger at Clay County all you want. Even though this report does not rank states by "crookedness", I think the ranking is relevant to it. Kentucky has been known as the state of "Good Ole Boys Politics" for a long time.

I admit Clay County has it's problems. I wouldn't be foolish enough to point my finger at Clay County, no matter the county I lived in. You've got the crooks in your county too my friend, they're just getting away with it.

Yep, this for sure. Especially Pike County. Even though I've benefited from it a few times, it's getting a bit out of hand these days.
^^^

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was defending Richie by my post above. He's made his bed and he will have to lay in it. Just a product of the culture.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:^^^

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was defending Richie by my post above. He's made his bed and he will have to lay in it. Just a product of the culture.

Not to me at least. Like you said, showing how bad the "good ole' boy" culture is in EKY.
vundy33 Wrote:Not to me at least. Like you said, showing how bad the "good ole' boy" culture is in EKY.

It's not exclusive to EKY, it's a statewide cesspool.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Keeping up with Clay County huh?

Not real hard to, due to them staying in the news for the past seven years. I didn't mean to get your porcine panties in a wad. I do agree that Kentucky has many problems to overcome and that one of the obstacles is dirty politics. The bottom line is Richie Farmer IS from Clay County and they have a notorious reputation for dirty politics. We can accuse every county of being equally as dirty but that is just speculation, assumptions, and opinions. What facts we do know is:

1. Richie Farmer is from Clay County

2. In the last seven years they have had 2 county clerks, city council members, 911 Director, city manager, mayor, assistant police chief, 2 magistrates, fire chief, circuit judge, school superintendant, precinct workers as well as businessmen convicted in federal court for numerous charges including vote - buying, money laundering for drug dealers, drug trafficking, kickback schemes, extortion, arson, and fixed voting machines

When you drive through Clay County you see vehicles with stickers on the back window that say " Justice for the Clay eight". Most of those cars though are Escalades and Tahoes.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Not real hard to, due to them staying in the news for the past seven years. I didn't mean to get your porcine panties in a wad. I do agree that Kentucky has many problems to overcome and that one of the obstacles is dirty politics. The bottom line is Richie Farmer IS from Clay County and they have a notorious reputation for dirty politics. We can accuse every county of being equally as dirty but that is just speculation, assumptions, and opinions. What facts we do know is:

2. In the last seven years they have had 2 county clerks, city council members, 911 Director, city manager, mayor, assistant police chief, 2 magistrates, fire chief, circuit judge, school superintendant, precinct workers as well as businessmen convicted in federal court for numerous charges including vote - buying, money laundering for drug dealers, drug trafficking, kickback schemes, extortion, arson, and fixed voting machines

When you drive through Clay County you see vehicles with stickers on the back window that say " Justice for the Clay eight". Most of those cars though are Escalades and Tahoes.

I live and work in Clay County, drive through it a lot too...I have seen one of those stickers you mention. The daughter of one of those imprisoned had one on her car.

There may be many more, I don't drive through Clay County with my nose stuck up the ass and business of every car that goes by though.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Not real hard to, due to them staying in the news for the past seven years. I didn't mean to get your porcine panties in a wad. I do agree that Kentucky has many problems to overcome and that one of the obstacles is dirty politics. The bottom line is Richie Farmer IS from Clay County and they have a notorious reputation for dirty politics. We can accuse every county of being equally as dirty but that is just speculation, assumptions, and opinions. What facts we do know is:

Kentucky being ranked 44 this year and at the bottom last year is also fact. Clay County may be the dirtiest of all counties, I'm not going to dispute that. Kentucky did not get it's ranking and reputation from Clay County, it's been a group effort.

My county is down and getting kicked, and it may be rightfully so, that does not mean I got to like/take it.

My porcine panties used to get in a wad quite often, that's why I now wear thongs. Wadding isn't a problem but, twisting riles me up now and then.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I live and work in Clay County, drive through it a lot too...I have seen one of those stickers you mention. The daughter of one of those imprisoned had one on her car.

There may be many more, I don't drive through Clay County with my nose stuck up the ass and business of every car that goes by though.

Sounds like you need to go Twisted Sisters and have a drink. That is if they have started serving alcohol yet.
^lol, I wouldn't bet on it...
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sounds like you need to go Twisted Sisters and have a drink. That is if they have started serving alcohol yet.

Started serving this week by the way. May just do that.
Well, I'd have lost that bet, lol. Good for them then.
I heard Richies dad is now in deep water.
looks like he's losing his house also

A Clay County bank has filed a foreclosure suit against former Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer and his wife, claiming that more than $300,000 is due on their mortgage loan of 2004.
The suit, filed Wednesday in Franklin Circuit Court by First National Bank of Manchester, says that no mortgage payments have been made “since at least January.”

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...y=obinsite