Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Kentucky 28 UT Martin 16
Final from Martin, TN. Gives some details Norm.
Nice to see EKU get another win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What is that 2-0 in OVC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:What is that 2-0 in OVC?

Yep
Great comeback by the Colonels. EKU trailed 16-7 late in the 3rd quarter before scoring the final 21 points. Jared McClain hit Tyrone Goard with a 25 yard touchdown pass to cut it to 16-14. T.J. Pryor then connected with Goard twice in the 4th quarter to seal the win. Once from 78 yards and once from 27 yards out. Tyrone Goard finished with 7 catches for 175 yards and all 4 Colonel touchdowns--3 of them from Pryor. UT Martin is a solid team. They held Matt Denham in check. He finished with 94 yards on 29 carries. The Colonels are 4-1 for the first time since 1999 and 2-0 in the O.V.C. Colonel Up!
This game is being replayed on Fox Sports South at 11pm tonight if anyone wants to check it out.
MARTIN, Tenn. – The Eastern Kentucky University football team trailed host UT Martin midway through the third quarter, 16-7, before storming back for a 28-16 victory. The No. 19 Colonels now stand at 4-1 overall for the first time since 1999.

Senior wide receiver Tyrone Goard tied a program record with four touchdown receptions. His 78-yard scoring catch from fellow senior T.J. Pryor with 8:57 remaining gave EKU (4-1, 2-0 OVC) the lead for good, 21-16. Goard totaled career highs in receptions (seven) and receiving yards (175) to go along with the four scoring catches.

Pryor set a program record of his own as he moved into first place on Eastern Kentucky’s all-time passing list. The native of Louisville, Ky., now has 6,085 career passing yards thanks to his 211 yards passing and three touchdown tosses at UT Martin. Josh Greco (2004-07) had the previous Colonel record with 5,992 yards.

UT Martin (3-2, 1-1) used a couple of big plays on third downs to take a 13-7 lead into halftime. On the Skyhawks’ opening drive, Quentin Sims hauled in a 24-yard catch to move UTM deep into EKU territory. Running back Jason McNair capped the scoring drive with a four-yard run to put the Skyhawks ahead, 6-0.

Late in the second quarter on 3rd-and-5, UT Martin quarterback Derek Carr found Jeremy Butler for 62 yards down to the EKU 20-yard line. Four plays later, Trent Garland rumbled into the end zone to make the score, 13-7. EKU’s only score in the first half was a Goard 14-yard touchdown catch.

Midway through the third quarter, the Skyhawks had a 1st-and-goal situation only to see the Colonels hold UT Martin to a field goal which extended the lead to 16-7.

Eastern Kentucky’s offense finally came to life on the ensuing possession. Junior tight end Nathan Watts (29 yards) and junior wide out Ike Ariguzo (12 yards) each came away with key receptions on third down to extend the drive. Sophomore quarterback Jared McClain then found Goard in the back of the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown strike to slice the deficit to just two points, 16-14.

The play of the game came two possessions later for the Colonels. Facing a 3rd-and-21, Pryor found Goard streaking down the left sideline for the 78-yard touchdown pass. Goard caught the pass in stride before beating two UTM defenders down the sideline for the score.

Eastern’s defense held UT Martin to minus-five yards on the following drive. The Skyhawk punter fumbled the snap on the punt attempt, allowing the Colonels to take over at the UTM 29-yard line. Three quick plays later, Pryor put an exclamation point on the day with a perfect 27-yard touchdown lob to Goard at the far pylon.

After the Skyhawks took the 16-7 lead, the Colonel defense held UT Martin to just 61 yards on the final five possessions. Senior linebacker Kevin Hamlin posted a season-high eight stops and a sack to pace EKU. Sophomore defensive back Brandon Stanley added a forced fumble while senior defensive back Brooklyn Fox totaled three pass break-ups.

Eastern Kentucky is on the road again next Saturday, Oct. 6 this time at Tennessee State. Game time is slated for 2 p.m.

NOTES
--Quarterback T.J. Pryor has thrown for 714 yards this season to go along with nine touchdown passes and no interceptions.

--Running back Matt Denham was held to 94 yards rushing. Last year, he recorded 41 carries for 188 yards and a touchdown.

--Eastern Kentucky was whistled for season highs in penalties (12) and penalty yards (123).

--UT Martin quarterback Derek Carr also set a program record for career passing yardage. He finished 17-of-39 for 223 yards to move his career total to 6,300 passing yards.

--EKU held the Skyhawks to a season-low 46 yards rushing, including minus-two yards in the second half. The Colonels now lead the all-time series by a count of 22-1.

EKUSports.com
Go Big E
I don't keep up with Eastern Kentucky much, but has does anyone know anything about JJ Jude and how he is doing?
Do-double-gg Wrote:I don't keep up with Eastern Kentucky much, but has does anyone know anything about JJ Jude and how he is doing?

As far as I know he's being redshirted, but maybe someone else knows something I don't.
Westside Wrote:As far as I know he's being redshirted, but maybe someone else knows something I don't.

That's correct. He is being redshirted.
West side is Charlie Banks playing on special teams?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:West side is Charlie Banks playing on special teams?

I'm not sure. Norm probably knows.
He is a junior right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:He is a junior right?

Yea, he's a junior. He's not listed on the roster, but is in the media guide.
Why would he be not listed on the roster? He got a OVC ring cause he showed it on Facebook.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Why would he be not listed on the roster? He got a OVC ring cause he showed it on Facebook.

He's on the roster last year so he would get one. I don't know why he isn't on it this year.
Charlie has hung his cleats up. Two shoulder surgeries, pulled hamstring, dislocated elbow, steel plate in his foot, and two concussions finally took its toll on him. As his parent-we fully supported his decision not to play this year. He was just physically beat down and no longer enjoyed playing. Charlie has had a great run but has decided he wants to pursue other avenues in his life. He will be O.K. Thanks for asking about him.
I watched the game on TV and I saw the Freshman Kicker that played for Pikeville High School last season Zack Burgy-VanHoose. He kicked the entire second half of the game and did a great job. His first kickoff was a touchback and he kicked 3 extra points. It's good to see our East Ky mountain boys doing good!
equipmentman Wrote:I watched the game on TV and I saw the Freshman Kicker that played for Pikeville High School last season Zack Burgy-VanHoose. He kicked the entire second half of the game and did a great job. His first kickoff was a touchback and he kicked 3 extra points. It's good to see our East Ky mountain boys doing good!

I missed that. I knew they made a changed but didn't know who they brought in. Good to hear though.