Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denny Fugate out at Breathitt County
rojas Wrote:Mr. Hammonds is very highly thought of by most people associated with the Rockcastle Co school system. It's important to note that he was not hired by the local school system. He was hired by the state dept of education to manage the school system while it is under state control. It appears the Breathitt co school system is in quite the quandary. Hammonds, I would imagine, was hired to get the system back on a firm academic and financial footing. Athletics are not the priority in this crisis situation.

I have met Mr. Hammonds and worked under him for several months. He is as nice of a human being as you will ever meet and he is doing nothing more than the job he was hired to do. He is being paid very well to correct some problems with the school system and that is his priority.

With that being said I don't like the idea of cancelling elementary sports but I can understand it given his position and his priorities. It is not uncommon in other areas of the country for a county or city recreation league to govern and run the elementary programs. I lived in Georgia for a few years and down there the school system doesn't field any sports teams until 7th grade, everything before that was recreation leagues run by the county, city or other organization.
The latest rumor in the school is that elem. football is out, but elem basketball will remain with parents/volunteer coaches, no payroll involved.

Jackson's Park Dept. has been offering flag football for a few years, so stepping it up to Pop Warner or something won't be too difficult. The city will probably ask the school to donate the pads and equipment, and will charge a hefty signup fee to cover any insurance and other expenses. I expect to come together and the league will look a whole lot like the previous elementary system.
Altro Cat Wrote:I have met Mr. Hammonds and worked under him for several months. He is as nice of a human being as you will ever meet and he is doing nothing more than the job he was hired to do. He is being paid very well to correct some problems with the school system and that is his priority.

With that being said I don't like the idea of cancelling elementary sports but I can understand it given his position and his priorities. It is not uncommon in other areas of the country for a county or city recreation league to govern and run the elementary programs. I lived in Georgia for a few years and down there the school system doesn't field any sports teams until 7th grade, everything before that was recreation leagues run by the county, city or other organization.
It is amazing to me how some people think athletics and extra curricular activities shoud be an after thought. I beg to pardon but think they are equally important in educating a well rounded citizen. If we don't provide honest well run activities for our student body we have to house them in the future in an institutional situation. Our youth and teenagers need something to do or they will find the wrong thing to do.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:It is amazing to me how some people think athletics and extra curricular activities shoud be an after thought. I beg to pardon but think they are equally important in educating a well rounded citizen. If we don't provide honest well run activities for our student body we have to house them in the future in an institutional situation. Our youth and teenagers need something to do or they will find the wrong thing to do.

To be honest with a rec league running youth sports there is a lot less politics and controversy than with the current eastern Kentucky norm of allowing the schools to do it.

For one you eliminate the hold backs because kids are grouped by the age on their birth certificate and not by grade. It also helps with recruiting and parents moving kids around for sports because everyone is placed on teams by their address and not by their school enrollment.
Altro Cat Wrote:To be honest with a rec league running youth sports there is a lot less politics and controversy than with the current eastern Kentucky norm of allowing the schools to do it.

For one you eliminate the hold backs because kids are grouped by the age on their birth certificate and not by grade. It also helps with recruiting and parents moving kids around for sports because everyone is placed on teams by their address and not by their school enrollment.
It really only shifts politics. Where in Breathitt County do they have the facilities outside of the school system to run a quality rec league??
Rec Leagues are the best run ones. Go by age groups baby. That makes the playing field much more even. You wouldnt see half as many holdbacks probably.
The_Rock Wrote:Rec Leagues are the best run ones. Go by age groups baby. That makes the playing field much more even. You wouldnt see half as many holdbacks probably.
Yeah they will play in age groups in the Rec League and when they get in High School they will have to play against guys older and stronger than they are. Sounds as if someone is bitter over hold backs and coaching staff in the school system. If you want a rec league program don't expect to compete for a 14th region title.
People will still hold their kids back for sports, rec league or not. They'll do it at the kindergarten level if they have to, just on the off-chance they can gain their kid some high school glory.

What is the latest you can hold your kid back these days? Is it still 8th grade or has it changed?
I know that 2 prominent Coaches have called about the head coaching vacancy. If they can hire either one will be great. More information as Breathitt decides what they can do.Confusedhh:
^ What coaches are they?
Brian Hall and Coach Noble are the only names I have heard.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Yeah they will play in age groups in the Rec League and when they get in High School they will have to play against guys older and stronger than they are. Sounds as if someone is bitter over hold backs and coaching staff in the school system. If you want a rec league program don't expect to compete for a 14th region title.

Even hold backs will play against bigger & stronger kids in high school. The problem most people have with hold backs is the hold back is bigger & stronger than the grade school kids he is playing. In the sport of football it makes a huge difference not to mention it is dangerous to the younger kids. Example, you could have a would be Freshman playing against a 7th grade kid. Big difference in a 12 and 14 year old.
If this Mr. Hammond is the same Mr. Hammond that would be the father of one Sara Hammond, Ms. Basketball 2011, and Ms. Hammond the first McDonald's All-American from KY, and presently the starting F/C for the Univeristy of Louisville Cardinals, then I'd say he knows a thing or two about how important sports are to a local high school and community.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:If this Mr. Hammond is the same Mr. Hammond that would be the father of one Sara Hammond, Ms. Basketball 2011, and Ms. Hammond the first McDonald's All-American from KY, and presently the starting F/C for the Univeristy of Louisville Cardinals, then I'd say he knows a thing or two about how important sports are to a local high school and community.

He isn't the father of her and no he doesn't understand sports.
Have they posted the jobs yet?
No jobs have been posted yet and none of the rumors have happened yet. And about elementary sports being taken away. That hasnt been brought up by the board yet and the state must not be too worried about finances because Hammand is pulling in over 200,000 a year with food and gas expenses being covered. Cant wait for all of this to be over with so we can just start our next school year and see how the kids will do.
:insane: