Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12th Region
What is everyone's prediction on the 12th region this year? Who are the favorite and who are the under dogs that could cause some problems come tournament time?
With Mercer's success last season, they'll be a top contender since they didn't lose many. Plus I'm pretty sure the Ingram kid returns. Likewise, West Jessamine should be solid and I think the Merida boys return as seniors. Southwestern should be back strong if they can fill in the gap left by Starnes. Pitching will be the issue with the Warriors. PC lost some big contributors in their senior class last year and other than Smith, I don't know who'll be taking up the slack on the mound. Coach Morse's Admirals should be more seasoned this year and could make a good run. Somerset will win most of the games Dishman pitches and lose most of the ones he doesn't. Wayne County is a big if. They have some talent but don't seem to be able to get it together to win the big games. Rock will probably be a decent hitting team but I'm not sure they have any depth at pitching.

Just my opinion and most of what I remember from last year's regional tourney. Interested to hear from some others.
I agree with all of those being contenders at the end of the year also. All of those teams are pretty good year in and year out. They always seem to rebuild and contend for their district title each year and always have a chance to make some noise in the Region tournament. I believe would could throw Boyle and East Jess into the mix. The have some pretty strong pitching returning plus some key hitters and position players, from what I hear. I also have heard that Garrard has some young talent coming back. What does anyone know about these teams?
This is my 2 cents worth on the SWHS Warriors for 2014. Baseball is a funny game and a pitcher having a good day or a bad day can change the game for both teams.

Agreed, Starnes will be a big hole to fill. He was our top pitcher and probably our top hitter, definately at tournament time.

However, we have 7 of the 9 starters returning as they were a young group last year. Lots of baseball talent on that team.

We do not have one shutdown pitcher like Starnes but have about six kids that have varsity experience and are good, solid pitchers that won several games last year. They will only get better during the year.

As for offense, we may actually be better than last year because these guys are getting older and stronger and have always been good hitters. This current group has always been an offensive minded bunch.

We are hoping for a very good year this year.

:Thumbs:
Southwestern will be a very tough out by year end. They may even be better than last year. A player like starnes is always hard to replace but SW has a ton of young talent that know how to win games.
baseballisgreat Wrote:I agree with all of those being contenders at the end of the year also. All of those teams are pretty good year in and year out. They always seem to rebuild and contend for their district title each year and always have a chance to make some noise in the Region tournament. I believe would could throw Boyle and East Jess into the mix. The have some pretty strong pitching returning plus some key hitters and position players, from what I hear. I also have heard that Garrard has some young talent coming back. What does anyone know about these teams?

I agree. I didn't get to see Boyle play last season but I'm pretty sure they beat Danville at Danville in their first match-up and that says quite a bit. Same with East Jess. Those four teams always battle it out. I saw Garrard play one game last year and IMO they have some good "undeveloped" talent that a true pitching coach could work with.
I would have to say Mercer is the favorite again. They have really taken control of the 12th especially at tournament time. Well coached and a solid group returning to defend their title. They should be lead by the Peevler kid along with Stockton and a very solid lefty pitcher that name escapes me. They are defiantely the most experienced team and tournament ready.

West Jessamine may have the most talent but they seem to underachieve at tournament time. They have a solid group of returning kids as well. The will be lead by Max Mahon along with the Merida twins. Mahon is coming off another strong summer performance. The Merida twins are just solid and mature players. Look for solid years from seniors Ward and Beckley. The questions for West is they are coming off some turmoil that may continue to be an interuption for this team. They have some young talent that may be ready to step up as well. Only lost two starters from a 20 win team in 2013

Some Sleeper teams that could be ready to make a run:

East Jessamine - They have solid group of pitchers. May have the best starting staff in the region. Sam Hall, Conner Lindsey both coming off solid campaigns in 2013. Transfer Jared Jones will add a solid starter and is coming off a solid summer performance. East does have some obstacles to over come. They have some injuries to overcome and get through, 2 year starter Blackford may be lost for the season due to Rotater Cuff surgery as well as how well starter Jacob Burnight returns from Tommy John surgery. Look for sophmore Lain Hager to be ready to contribute. All these kids are coming off solid summer performances. Well coached and could be a factor.

Boyle County may be ready to make Noise. They may have the most talented pitcher in the region with WKU committ Micah Minard. They have a nice group to go with Minard. Coffey and Robbins are very solid players will add solid nucleus to go with Minard. Boyle will need some young talent to step up but they may be ready to do so.

Garrard Count could be another team that factors in. They have some young talent that also may be ready to step up. Seth Murphy is coming off a good summer and really showed well this summer. He hit 90 this summer and pitched well. Logan Teague, Matt Wilburn as well as JT Lyon will be a solid group to go with Murphy.

12th region has some talent and should be good baseball region with quiet a few teams staying in the top 25 all year.
I do believe Southwestern will be a major factor in the 12th. I do not get to see them as much as other teams but am impressed with their team. They played well down the stretch last year.
Now that offical start of practice is now just weeks away does anyone have anymore predictions on who are the favorites and who are the underdogs to watch out for in this region?
I think everyone should just sit back and watch Garrard be the underdogs.... I have seen several of the players in action via summer and last year season, and if I'm not mistaken, they are returning all thier starting line up with the exception of 2...... Plus they have a couple kids that will go one to the next level..... Garrard is the team to watch.....
Any scrimmage information out there? I know PC scrimmaged Clay County last weekend and Southwestern had Campbellsville Monday. What about the rest of the 12th?
PC scrimmaged North Laurel Monday evening. Unless they were missing some key players for some reason, PC is in for a very long season.
Van Hagar Wrote:PC scrimmaged North Laurel Monday evening. Unless they were missing some key players for some reason, PC is in for a very long season.

I'm not sure as to how good PC will be, but they did have some basketball players that were just joining the team.
Now that the season is underway what are people seeing from their teams in 2014? Are they performing early like everyone would want them to? Are there any teams in the 12th that have suprised you with the start they have had?

I know not many games have been played and that baseball sometimes takes time to get on track.