Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County coaching search
Do-double-gg Wrote:I guess you didn't read my post at all. I said nothing about the fine young men who play baseball for the dawg,s because they are the baseball team so I didn't blast the baseball team Duh! I am just hearing a lot of talk about this being a baseball school and some people with power in the school only careing about baseball. I know the baseball team has had some good teams in the past but you can,t say that the last few years are not down a little from that success. I just think that in order for a school to be considered an anything school be it baseball, basketball, football or what ever then you need to have a long string of success and build some tradition and a championship would not hurt either at some point. At this point in time I don't think any sport in this county is good enough or consistent enough or stands out head and shoulders enough to wear that crown. I don't think any sport in this county has ever been good or consistent long enough to wear that crown now that I think about it. A few of the sports have came close in the past and now the basketball team is giving it a go and I don't remember in my 35 years of there ever being this much attention going to the basketball team but I like it. All I'm saying is before we crown LCHS a baseball school then let's get one and a half or two decades of success and consistent winning and get some more championship contenders first. Belfry is a football school for obvious reasons and not one sport at this school has done anything close to what that football program has done for as long as they have done it and they deserve to wear the crown.

you do realize that one baseball coach had over 500 wins when he retired. and the program AVERAGES over 20 wins per season. they have won the district several times the past 7 or 8 years. they have won the region in 2008, 2009, and 2011.

the only people saying "baseball school" are the ones that think that coach cook could have been kept here. the fact is he is spreading mistruths that will eventually come out. he claims his job was in jeopardy. if so, then why did that position not get cut? uh huh. wow. that's one lie that will be proven.
lchsalumnus Wrote:how many times have you even watched the baseball team? they play one of the toughest schedules in this region or the 16th. they don't pad their schedule with creampuffs just to get 25 wins. they won the region in 2011. then 2012 was a loss in the district. 2013 they won the district and made it to the regional semifinals losing to the eventual regional champ in a close 1 run game and to a team that went on to win a game in the state tourney. this year the winner of the region will probably be either lc, paintsville, or jchs.

why must you blast the baseball program for? they have been very successful. how many times have you referenced the football days of chuke williams? good programs to "live off" their past. it is called TRADITION! Duh!

i guess to answer your question...what has the baseball team done as of late? well...something that the basketball or football hasn't done the past 2 seasons....win the district.

By they way it cracks me up that you said "to answer your question" as if my post was quoted from one of your post. That was a question to Mezzo about something he had said in his post and had nothing to do with you. Calm down and don't sweat the small stuff, it,s just a game and a high school one at that. The way you got all tore up and quoted the baseball stats like it was intimate knowledge would make someone think you were coach Feltner or something...................."0 wait"! Lol. :igiveup:
Don,t pay any attention to me because I get bored and can be a bit of a troll at times. I mean well and things I am thinking don,t always come out right when I get on my keyboard. I have nothing but respect for the kids on the baseball team who put in the time and I love all the LCHS sports and want em all to do well.
Do-double-gg Wrote:By they way it cracks me up that you said "to answer your question" as if my post was quoted from one of your post. That was a question to Mezzo about something he had said in his post and had nothing to do with you. Calm down and don't sweat the small stuff, it,s just a game and a high school one at that. The way you got all tore up and quoted the baseball stats like it was intimate knowledge would make someone think you were coach Feltner or something...................."0 wait"! Lol. :igiveup:

funny how you all want to say i'm feltner. just because i follow the baseball program and can easily get on the khsaa website and check out things? doesn't take long to do either. just notice my username. i'm a graduate of lchs. feltner went to perry county or knott county i believe. i'm proud of my school. too bad people want to rip it to pieces by making mistruths and spreading lies and having so much jealousy because one program is having some success and others haven't yet. do you all hear any baseball parents complaining about football? or basketball? nope. wonder why? because they want them to be successful. too bad it doesn't work the other way.
wow, i have a kid that plays baseball and football and i like to see all sports do well. but it does seems like there is alot of jealousy coming from the baseball and football folks over the recent success of the basketball team. By the way who is travis york? Never heard of him. kind of a surprising hire i would think. Good luck to him, he has alot to deal with.
lchsalumnus Wrote:funny how you all want to say i'm feltner. just because i follow the baseball program and can easily get on the khsaa website and check out things? doesn't take long to do either. just notice my username. i'm a graduate of lchs. feltner went to perry county or knott county i believe. i'm proud of my school. too bad people want to rip it to pieces by making mistruths and spreading lies and having so much jealousy because one program is having some success and others haven't yet. do you all hear any baseball parents complaining about football? or basketball? nope. wonder why? because they want them to be successful. too bad it doesn't work the other way.

One thing let me clarify that I have never disrespected the baseball players. I have great respect for those boys and have watched them grown up into fine young men. I have only stated facts about the AD being the baseball coach and how it can be unfair because his love lies with baseball so of course he is going to be partial to baseball and not be as concerned about the other sports especially if they start taking the spotlight away from his program. I wish the best for all of the LC kids. My be GRIPE lies with the LC system and how almost none of them look out for the best interest of any of the kids in anything whether it be academics or sports. It's all political. Why even have interviews because they know who they want for what position before they even have the interviews. They have the interviews because of the legalities of it. All kids in all sports deserve praise for their accomplishments but somehow it doesn't work out that way. Same goes with academics but likewise doesn't go that way. It's all about who you know. LC now has hired a coach that is related to the Super. Maybe he will be great but doesn't look good being related to Mike. The new Super coming from a county with a school system worse than LC, (go figure) won't move here or bring his kids here. But I do believe he knows people in high power here and maybe even goes to church with them. Anyone see a trend going on here?????????????????????
Who is Travis York?

Coaching/playing background?
Kevin Spurlock
Friday, 16 May 2014 10:21

Written by Lazer Staff

| Print | E-mail

Martin Co. principal to be named new Lawrence Superintendent, York boys BB coach;

The Lazer has learned through a confidential source that Sheldon Clark principal Robbie Fletcher, 40, will be recommended by the committee formed to find a new Supt. to replace Mike Armstrong at tonight's special meeting. Fletcher's contract will be for four years and pay slightly less than Armstrong's $108,000 salary. Armstrong is leaving June 30 to become the executive director of the Kentucky School Boards Assn. (More info as it becomes available).

We have also learned that Travis York, a native of Lawrence Co. will be named the new boys basketball coach if he can gain Ky. certification. He is currently coaching at a Div. 3 college in Ohio but is anxious to get back home, the source said.
One name I haven't seen mentioned is Landon Slone. I know that he applied for the job and has great interest in possibly becoming the new Lawrence HC. Everyone on here knows his resume when it comes to his playing days, coaching wise he has been with the Paintsville HS staff for the last 3 seasons, the last under then HC Matt Ratliff, and the last 2 under Coach Runyon.

Of course you hear a lot of things through the grapevine, but I've heard from more than 1 person that the top 2 candidates are Landon, and the Faulkner twin. Also that Spurlock isn't in any kind of contention to become the new HC. He has had some success but his track record of not staying at his previous jobs has hindered him. Outside of those 3 names mentioned, I haven't heard any other names or candidates for the job. I will say that it will definitely be a great job to have with the assortment of talent that Lawrence has. The most important thing for the next coach to do is work with the youth of Lawrence Co. implement a system when they are young and let them get acclaimated, by the time they get to high school it will be already fresh in their minds and wouldn't be a problem. Hopefully whoever gets the job has a great plan, is right for the job and will work to not only win, but makes these kids successful off the court, because thats where it starts.
-STAT- Wrote:One name I haven't seen mentioned is Landon Slone. I know that he applied for the job and has great interest in possibly becoming the new Lawrence HC. Everyone on here knows his resume when it comes to his playing days, coaching wise he has been with the Paintsville HS staff for the last 3 seasons, the last under then HC Matt Ratliff, and the last 2 under Coach Runyon.

Of course you hear a lot of things through the grapevine, but I've heard from more than 1 person that the top 2 candidates are Landon, and the Faulkner twin. Also that Spurlock isn't in any kind of contention to become the new HC. He has had some success but his track record of not staying at his previous jobs has hindered him. Outside of those 3 names mentioned, I haven't heard any other names or candidates for the job. I will say that it will definitely be a great job to have with the assortment of talent that Lawrence has. The most important thing for the next coach to do is work with the youth of Lawrence Co. implement a system when they are young and let them get acclaimated, by the time they get to high school it will be already fresh in their minds and wouldn't be a problem. Hopefully whoever gets the job has a great plan, is right for the job and will work to not only win, but makes these kids successful off the court, because thats where it starts.

I agree with you that Slone would be an excellent hire, but hadn't heard he had applied for the job. I also think Faulkner would be a good hire. Both played college basketball and excelled in athletics in schools in eastern ky. As far as Spurlock is concerned, there has been some success in the past, but he will leave if talent runs low.
Games start this next week and no hire?

I thought York was getting the job.
York is getting job but doesn't have ky teaching certificate so has to wait to get it. I'm guessing this is the hold up, what I was told yesterday. As I had said earlier regardless of who had applied York was gonna get the job because of him being related to the Armstrong clan. Can't compete with that can ya?
Mezzo Wrote:York is getting job but doesn't have ky teaching certificate so has to wait to get it. I'm guessing this is the hold up, what I was told yesterday. As I had said earlier regardless of who had applied York was gonna get the job because of him being related to the Armstrong clan. Can't compete with that can ya?

After seeing the way the Super. hiring is being handled, NOTHING would shock coming out of Lawrence.
lchsalumnus Wrote:you do realize that one baseball coach had over 500 wins when he retired. and the program AVERAGES over 20 wins per season. they have won the district several times the past 7 or 8 years. they have won the region in 2008, 2009, and 2011.

the only people saying "baseball school" are the ones that think that coach cook could have been kept here. the fact is he is spreading mistruths that will eventually come out. he claims his job was in jeopardy. if so, then why did that position not get cut? uh huh. wow. that's one lie that will be proven.
The best high school gym in State of KY. Let's get real with the potential at Mercer County!!
region Wrote:After seeing the way the Super. hiring is being handled, NOTHING would shock coming out of Lawrence.

I am over it. I'm sure everyone else has the same sentiment. I'm sure if he can't rightfully earn the teaching certificate, they will make some kind of exception.
Mezzo Wrote:York is getting job but doesn't have ky teaching certificate so has to wait to get it. I'm guessing this is the hold up, what I was told yesterday. As I had said earlier regardless of who had applied York was gonna get the job because of him being related to the Armstrong clan. Can't compete with that can ya?

why is it hard for you all to believe that the york guy may have been the best qualified coach for the job? you all have mentioned the faulkner boy. he has ZERO experience. this york guy has been coaching for a while and has been doing it at a college level too. to me, that is pretty qualified. but all you want to do is focus on his relationship with the super.
Because he wasn't.
I heard today that Saul Smith would be hired officially on Monday.
Liked to seen Vanhoose, Faulkner, or Slone land this job.
But I guess it's Yorks.
Stuartscott Wrote:Liked to seen Vanhoose, Faulkner, or Slone land this job.
But I guess it's Yorks.

Would have been my picks.

Successful college players, Slone has some assistant experience and Vanhoose has had some success at Phelps, winning a game over there in any sport is an accomplishment.
I know one of three REAL good and I thought he would have been the perfect fit but I guess the powers to be felt different. Oh well, I'm sure their pick will do well, if he gets his certification.
Who is coaching them in the summer?
region Wrote:Who is coaching them in the summer?

Not sure, but they play at Johnson central tonight.
MR. Slate Wrote:Not sure, but they play at Johnson central tonight.

What games/teams have you hosted this week? I ran by and saw Pike central there Monday and on Tuesday I saw South Floyd and Phelps. Have any last night or tomorrow? I'd like to see them if possible.
region Wrote:What games/teams have you hosted this week? I ran by and saw Pike central there Monday and on Tuesday I saw South Floyd and Phelps. Have any last night or tomorrow? I'd like to see them if possible.

No games last night,or Friday. Tonight all 5 teams of the old 57th district will play at JC. games start 4 and I think the last games are slated to start around 9.
Lawrence county beats mercer co. Playing for champ. Against , Lex. Christian .
Lawrence county beats mercer co. Playing for champ. Against , Lex. Christian .
How are things going at Lawrence with the new coach