Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What policy did you support?
The "one thing" topic got me thinking:

You have to choose one legitimate policy from Carter, Clinton, and Obama that you wholeheartedly supported. Basically, pick an idea from an unlikely supporter of it.

Carter: I supported his free trade policies, positions on abortion, rehabilitation of criminals rather than harsher punishments,

Clinton: Policy of Iraqi regime change and further use of NFZ's in Iraq. His conservative restraint of budget growth. Word is, he was obsessed with balancing the budget and would go to any length to see it occur. Welfare Reform.

Obama: Military management. Some Foreign policy ideas. His extension of the Bush tax cuts the first time around.

I'm sure there's more from both.

How about your biggest gripes of the last 3 repubs... Bush, Bush, and Reagan.

This should be fun.
I'll give more detail on this when I get some more time later.

For now........

WELCOME BACK TO THE BOARD RONALD REAGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, here goes...

Carter: Positions on abortion. In fact, Carter recently told the Democratic party that it would be wise to carry a more pro-life position.

Clinton: Welfare reform, and DOMA although he ended up switching his position on the issue in 2010. One thing I can tell about Clinton is that even though there was a lot of fighting going on, he worked together with the Republican party on several issues when they took control of the house and senate. I still think he should have been impeached for cheating on Hillary, but he is spotless compared to who we have in office now.

Obama: This one is harder, because one of the main reasons I don't like Obama is that he treats anybody with an opposing view like they're an enemy. But he did make a good move by extending the Bush tax cuts two years. His first four years in office, he felt marriage was between a man and a woman. This hasn't happened at this point, but I think he will eventually cave into pressure from both parties on the Keystone pipeline and pass that measure.

Biggest gripes from the last three Republicans:

Reagan - One of the greatest presidents we have ever had, but I am not a fan of amnesty for illegals.

Bush I - "Read my lips: No new taxes." Ironically, he recently was honored for his decision to "break away from party lines for the good of the country." The funny thing is, the Democrats that praised him for this used it during the election. He also played a role in spearheading NAFTA, and had more of a pro-choice stance at one point. Also nominated David Souter to the supreme court...although I will say, I am very happy with Clarence Thomas, who he also nominated.

Bush II - He failed to pass a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as one man and one woman, which he could have done at the time but many thought that DOMA could survive a constitutional challenge. I am personally against the war in Iraq, although at the time one could have understood the reasons for going over there - especially since both parties supported it. I do believe Bush's intentions were good. He caved in on the bailouts in 2008. I could be wrong, but I don't feel like he made a huge push on drilling on our own soil when gas prices made a sharp increase.
Clinton was impeached WR05.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Clinton was impeached WR05.

If you want to get into the deep technicality of the term, yes, he was. But the fact is, he should have been removed from office.

Don't you at least have a relevant point you want to bring to the discussion? Making a post similar to Reagan's and mine, or debating one of our points?
WideRight05 Wrote:If you want to get into the deep technicality of the term, yes, he was. But the fact is, he should have been removed from office.

Don't you at least have a relevant point you want to bring to the discussion? Making a post similar to Reagan's and mine, or debating one of our points?
Not that technical. He had charges brought against him. He was impeached. :eyeroll: Removed from office for what? His indiscretions were damaging to his morality and it makes him a pretty bad family man in my book but it sure isn't grounds for impeachment.

I'll address the topic a little later on when I get time.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Not that technical. He had charges brought against him. He was impeached. :eyeroll: Removed from office for what? His indiscretions were damaging to his morality and it makes him a pretty bad family man in my book but it sure isn't grounds for impeachment.

I'll address the topic a little later on when I get time.

So you are saying that you support a predator in the top level of office who cheats on his wife with a girl that is 27 years younger than him?
WideRight05 Wrote:So you are saying that you support a predator in the top level of office who cheats on his wife with a girl that is 27 years younger than him?

Yes. That's what I'm saying. I never said it made him a good person, but it is not an impeachable offense. Not like he was the first or last politician to do so.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Yes. That's what I'm saying. I never said it made him a good person, but it is not an impeachable offense. Not like he was the first or last politician to do so.

You are correct that he's not the first or last politician to do so, but that does not make the actions right in any form or fashion. What it also exhibits is the watering down of our morals. People hardly turn an eye when an affair is exposed now because of the many politicians that have been involved in one. Whether one runs as a Republican, Democrat, or a third party, if you are representing your city in a local position or you are representing the entire country, it does not make a bit of difference - you represent your office with the highest of standards when it comes to moral integrity. Clinton not only made a tremendous mistake in his affair, but he lied under oath until evidence came through to prove it.

Take Vance McAllister, for instance. After being caught on camera kissing a married, longtime employee, he at least had the decency to announce that he was not going to run again for his position in the House of Represenatives. Yet you have politicians like Anthony Weiner who continue to run after their sick scandals (and the scary thing - they gather votes!) for various positions.

If you are going to cheat on your wife, very likely you are going to cheat on America. If somebody is involved in an affair, I do not care what party they are from, they should be gone. Bottom line.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Yes. That's what I'm saying. I never said it made him a good person, but it is not an impeachable offense. Not like he was the first or last politician to do so.

Ah, the Eveready Bunny defense rises yet again. His conduct did however, merit a carve out in the annals of Presidential history. Not every sitting President gets convicted of lying to a federal judge and is subsequently fined and disbarred.

I remember all too well how the iconic smirk disappeared from his kisser after that happened. He put his own fortunes above the good of the country and, we are the poorer for it. But hey, you gotta give the devil his due. He did manage to make Presidential lying an option, and not merely a vice worthy of impeachment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]