Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley Baseball 2007
How does everybody think they will do?

Last season was a disaster losing 20 games and I question if Osborne can get the ship turned in the right direction up there.

So will they reach double digit wins this year or will it be another embarrassing season?

Thoughts?
This seemed to be a hot topic last season, but I think they should improve. Last season was pretty bad for Shelby Valley baseball but now that some of the younger guys have that experience under their belts they'll be more ready to win close games.

They lost a good hitter in the Riddle boy and I think they lost a pitcher too.

They still have the Smith kid but his attitude will eventually be his downfall plus I heard he gets injured pretty easily.

As for the coach, I don't know much about him but watching him a couple games last year @ the JC tournament he didn't seem to be a knowledgeable coach making some bad decisions but we'll see how he does in year 2.
It is hard to question a coach that took over a program that was going down hill. Give him some time. Baseball programs are the hardest to turn around because if kids do not have fundementals it is impossible to teach it to them in a year. That is something that they develop. I think that SV will be improved! I have coached with Osborne and he is willing to work at it unlike most coaching in that area.
I hope they do really good this year but I dont know
hootie Wrote:It is hard to question a coach that took over a program that was going down hill. Give him some time. Baseball programs are the hardest to turn around because if kids do not have fundementals it is impossible to teach it to them in a year. That is something that they develop. I think that SV will be improved! I have coached with Osborne and he is willing to work at it unlike most coaching in that area.

The program wasn't going that downhill. Not enough to lose 20 games in a season in my opinion.

I know they don't have fundamentals but why dont the coach start up a senior league or something. Having kids coming straight from little league is an awful idea.

Osborne is willing to work at it but if he dont know what hes doing then how will they improve?
I agree! It has to start at the young ages, and not in high school. I don't know if they could get enough kids for a good senior league. SV doesn't have the athletes they need to win out there. They need to get Jake and Logan out. They need big John Johnson out too. I think they will be better this year.
I agree hootie about how they don't have enough kids with interest or parent participation to start a senior league. It was tried with good effort by the last coach at Shelby Valley and because of lack of participation never got off the ground.

Until the parents realize their involvement is needed to help prepare the kids for the high school level of baseball, Shelby Valley will often struggle with young players who only have Little League experience. They need a gap of a smaller margin than what is currently in use with the Little League-->High School transition. But SV will need the help of parents and the community to compete at a high level.
alfus21 Wrote:I agree hootie about how they don't have enough kids with interest or parent participation to start a senior league. It was tried with good effort by the last coach at Shelby Valley and because of lack of participation never got off the ground.

Until the parents realize their involvement is needed to help prepare the kids for the high school level of baseball, Shelby Valley will often struggle with young players who only have Little League experience. They need a gap of a smaller margin than what is currently in use with the Little League-->High School transition. But SV will need the help of parents and the community to compete at a high level.

I agree
All good posts. I think the 59th district area needs to start up middle school baseball programs. I believe they do this in Johnson County. It would be a great idea and a great way to get kids involved in between little league and high school. Plus it keeps them out of trouble and keeps their interest in something other than basketball. It's a lot easier said than done though so I see why this would be so hard to organize.
I agree, when I was coming out my freshman year to play ball, I forgot some imporant sh*t,they should have a middle school baseball program for teams around here,where the players can be fresh coming into Highschool ball!!
i agree i think they should have a middle school team to get them ready for high school ball
A middle school team would be good but not near as many kids get involved and get the experience as in a senior league or Babe Ruth league. Middle school gets about 20-25 kids involved as opposed to getting 45-60 kids involved in a Babe Ruth league. The only problem is getting the numbers out. I know alot of SV kids come to Pikeville for Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth.
coming off a rough season last year...........Valley should improve a lot this season with more experienced players
NYY10 Wrote:I agree, when I was coming out my freshman year to play ball, I forgot some imporant sh*t,they should have a middle school baseball program for teams around here,where the players can be fresh coming into Highschool ball!!
yea that would help the team out a whole lot.....
The younger players do have some experience so i think is a good think for valley..they still have the tacketts..the jr justin tackett and the freshman tanner tackett..tanner played last year and won i aint for sure but i think 3 games as a 8th grader..REALLY REALLY talented young player..Everyone should hear his name this year..
I think they will be better this year. Coach osborne has his work cut out for him because that program has went downhill ever since they won the disrtict in 2000.
nasticus Wrote:I think they will be better this year. Coach osborne has his work cut out for him because that program has went downhill ever since they won the disrtict in 2000.

He had lost some good players going into last season including I think all of the infield and a lot of good hitters had graduated or transferred. They will be a lot better this season with some experience now.

As for the program going downhill since 2000, they won 19 games in 2001 beating Pikeville in the 1st round of district, and with the exception of 2002 Shelby Valley went 56-48 since 2000 going into last season. So in reality it never really slid that far down the hill.