Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCracken County 6, Ashland 0
McCracken County moves on to the championship game. This was Ashland's first game against one of the teams in the loaded upper bracket. Ashland was the highest ranked team in its bracket . All but one of the upper bracket teams was ranked higher than Ashland. Maybe this is an argument for some sort of seeding.
Please don't say to use the coaches poll to seed.
walterwhite Wrote:Please don't say to use the coaches poll to seed.

Do you have something better? The drawing this year didn't result in the best four teams reaching the Saturday games. Lesser teams love the luck of the draw. However, it sure hurts the better teams. Look at this year's brackets. When the top rated team in one bracket of eight schools is no better that seventeenth ranked in the state, it doesn't bode well for the highly ranked schools. No offense intended to Ashland. They just got an unbelievably lucky draw. Good for them, I suppose.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Do you have something better? The drawing this year didn't result in the best four teams reaching the Saturday games. Lesser teams love the luck of the draw. However, it sure hurts the better teams. Look at this year's brackets. When the top rated team in one bracket of eight schools is no better that seventeenth ranked in the state, it doesn't bode well for the highly ranked schools. No offense intended to Ashland. They just got an unbelievably lucky draw. Good for them, I suppose.

I don't mind the idea of seeding, it's just the coaches poll is not the way to go. First, the only coaches that vote are the members. That would be fine if not for the "good old boy" network. Like the East-West selections, it's a reciprocal deal. You vote for us, we will vote for you. The top teams are fairly obvious but it can be skewed quite a bit the farther you go in the Top 25. Some just vote for program names that were good but are not as good presently. Most coaches actually see very few of the best teams, specially the coaches from the eastern part of the state. Not a knock on anyone, just stating the obvious. Also, it wouldn't be too difficult to get together with the coaches within your region and agree to all join the association, and vote your region high. If you are going to seed it would need to be by some type of neutral party that is well informed. Sadly, that's not the coaches. Honestly, just draw it out and play. Lifes not fair so the draw doesn't have to be either.
Good points- particularly your last statement.
Being from the 16th region I am no fan of Ashland but seeding the teams might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I don't remember but has the sweet 16 ever been seeded? No of course not. How about the boys baseball state tournament? Uh no. Tennis? No.... soccer ? No... football? No of course not it's already determined which region will play each other... take your draw and go on
get real Wrote:Being from the 16th region I am no fan of Ashland but seeding the teams might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I don't remember but has the sweet 16 ever been seeded? No of course not. How about the boys baseball state tournament? Uh no. Tennis? No.... soccer ? No... football? No of course not it's already determined which region will play each other... take your draw and go on

Get educated. Some of the sports you mention, the main one being football, are indeed seeded in effect. And always remember that one isn't tagged as being "dumb" until he/she opens his mouth or posts that which is not factual. Today, get real, you get the prize.

Of course, it is engaging to see a blind draw so that the possibility of a lesser school winning a game or two actually exists. For example, if Ashland, the top ranked team in its bracket but only ranked number seventeen in the state, had drawn into the other bracket, they would have likely lost two games quickly and gone home. Because of the draw, they can claim to be the third best in the state since they finished third. It worked well for Ashland but not well for Anderson County, Louisville Mercy, Scott County, and a few more in the loaded bracket.

Nonetheless, no one can really complain too much. The best team won in the end.
I think they should class softball
Just give everybody a trophy, buy 'em a slush and all can be winners!
walterwhite Wrote:Just give everybody a trophy, buy 'em a slush and all can be winners!

Oh no. Surely you aren't recommending political correctness for sports. Do you think we should quit keeping score?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Oh no. Surely you aren't recommending political correctness for sports. Do you think we should quit keeping score?

Sorry,there's no sarcasim italics. I am far from politically correct. No class system, no seeding, just play and let the results speak.
walterwhite Wrote:Sorry,there's no sarcasim italics. I am far from politically correct. No class system, no seeding, just play and let the results speak.

That might be interesting. Depending on the draw, you could have Fort Thomas Highlands and Louisville Trinity meeting in football many years. That, would be better than most college bowl games.