Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County Football Coach
well i don't think they were the best in state, but they were ranted there.Whatever!
Midee1 Wrote:Now in 05 they went 3-1 the first 4 games. But I would have to say they were not the top defense by the 4th game of the year. If I remember correctly Russell was up 21-0 within the first 3 minutes of the game.

I meant the first four weeks, before Russell
JustTrying Wrote:I meant the first four weeks, before Russell

OK there were just 3 games played prior to Russell. Berea, Betsy lane and Phelps. The forth week was open.
yeh my middle school team could've put up 40 points against those teams
Berea and Betsy Lane were both 1-9 and Phelps was 4-7
congrats to your middle school team. I bet they were really good in high school. Why put down a team of kids that have to play the sched put in front of them? Kind of confusing to hear grown-ups make fun of high school kids. NICE!
Just trying to post some stats about the team. I would hate to see any team fold up and certainly hope that they can get a coach in there. Plus I would hope they would get the administration to support football as well as they do basketball. At our school we have the luxury of having an administration that supports football as well as other sports. Plus in my opinion we have one of the finest coaching staffs in the state.

As an earlier poster stated. It needs to start at the JFL level and build from there. We have a wonderful feeder system here that preps our young boys for the brand of football that we play.
if you dont have a feeder program you can't accomplish anything, russell is the same size as powell and their feeder program is unbelievable with the jfl they....if powell could get something of that nature than in a couple of years they could compete...but so many people in powell would rather start work at a young age than play sports...nothin wrong with that, its the only thing they all know.
bigE Wrote:if you dont have a feeder program you can't accomplish anything, russell is the same size as powell and their feeder program is unbelievable with the jfl they....if powell could get something of that nature than in a couple of years they could compete...but so many people in powell would rather start work at a young age than play sports...nothin wrong with that, its the only thing they all know.

:thumpsup:
Thanks
yea that would be awesome but the middle school coaches wont run the high school offense .. they are stuck up and do their own thing .. its been like that when i played .. we never ran the high school offense .. i think that that might help a little ... the jfl is good and they run the high school offense but after they leave jfl they into the middle schools own little world .. that is one major problem with powell .. never will have a program until that changes
The head high school coach has to have total control of all levels.
He dictates to the middle and grade schools what O and D they need to run to be in compliance with teaching all levels and age groups of football players the system he uses. The base plays of the high school O and D need to be the base plays for all levels. If the high school runs the wing T then the base plays for the middle and grade schools should be buck sweep, Trap and Waggle(example). That's the key to building a football program at Powell where all coaches and levels of football are on the same page doing the same things. That's how you get better and the transition from the grade school to the middle to high school isn't that big of a transition because everyone has the basics and the same offensive and defensive system.
Not trying to step on toes but with the head coach should come a whole new face lift of coaches from the ground up. Start a new tradition with a whole new purpose and new attitudes.
why was my post taken off earlier?
JustTrying Wrote:I'm not taking up for him, but he was stating that they had the top rated defense in the state for the first four games of the season. I actually believe that, because I remember watching the news that year and during sport it was stated that Powell had the #1 defense in the state. That was only the first four weeks. It went way down hill after that. I do remember that. i would love it if someone could help me find that info.
that is what i'm talking about
I would like to say that the last time that I talked to Coach Jones, he did not sound like he would be taking the job back. Even with the principal leaving, I don't think that he will take it back. I DO look to see him coaching again in the very near future!

Daddy #62 Wrote:I heard that Coach Jones has put back in for head coach for Powell Co. So maybe since Mr. Smith has resigned as principal we will have more support for our team. If they give Coach Jones the spot back they won't have to worry.
CoachB Wrote:I would like to say that the last time that I talked to Coach Jones, he did not sound like he would be taking the job back. Even with the principal leaving, I don't think that he will take it back. I DO look to see him coaching again in the very near future!
That what someone who knows him well said. So he may have and it could just be someone saying it. But this person doesn't lie.
Daddy #62 Wrote:That what someone who knows him well said. So he may have and it could just be someone saying it. But this person doesn't lie.
coach jones said he didn't put in and the person who suppose siad he did lie so. just to clear it up.
who is your english teacher. SPELL CHECK.
bigE Wrote:they obviously dont weigh-in strength of schedule on the stats huh?
Powell for last year
Mcreary Central 30 8 L
Betsy lane 26 22 L
Phelps 16 14 W
West Carter 61 22 L
Russell 55 0 L
Morgan 65 6 L
Flemming 61 6
East carter 48 22 L
Lewis 51 14 L
Estill 39 8 L

There were major problems when Powell wasnt 3 and 0 after those first 3 games. Morgan only won like 2 games and Lewis only won like 1 to the best of my recolection. Powell couldnt even compete with bad teams. You cant blame the kids cause if they were coached up at all theyd beat morgan and lewis.
defense aint about lining up punt block on every down. powell lined up like 10 guys standing on the line and just shooting through every gap. The kids deserve better
teams they should have beat......betsy layne, lewis, estill and maybe even mcreary central, but for some reason that never happens the way it should....lack of motivation....what do these kids have to play for, what is their incentive?
bigE Wrote:teams they should have beat......betsy layne, lewis, estill and maybe even mcreary central, but for some reason that never happens the way it should....lack of motivation....what do these kids have to play for, what is their incentive?
Most of the players play because of one reason. They love the game. Not because they have to. Coach Jones motivated alot of the players by the sign in the weight room. Coach Clark would tell us stuff to help motivate us. You can't force a player to be motivated. The player has to be motivated by himself and other people can help motivate him. Another reason why we play is to prove people wrong about our football team. Everyone says we suck. So we get out there and we try with all of our heart to help make the team better.
good luck powell in finding a coach
is everyone crazy come on we all know coach jones was the best coach powell as ever had. there never be someone better than him in my eyes. He taught me stuff no other coach can. i hope he comes back and get to think that over. Coach Jones is like my bestfriend and it never change. Its not his fault the record was bad it was people that only cared about them selves and not others and as a team. But i hope this comming season we can knock peoples heads up and work hard and over come mistakes the easy way.
the only reason you think he is the best is because you've never had another coach to compare so theres really no reason for you to even argue this point
theres really no reason for you to keep putting powell co down...these boys are never going to be good if all they hear is u guys suck and u have no good coaching staff
Excellent post!!! You must build the house instead of tearing it down!!
sportsfreak22 Wrote:theres really no reason for you to keep putting powell co down...these boys are never going to be good if all they hear is u guys suck and u have no good coaching staff